Sonoma Model One electrostatic headphone system
Jan 24, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #61 of 330
  If anyone knows anyone that works at this company, tell them to make a slightly sub par model, like 007 is to 009, and price it at 2 grand with same amp/dac thrown in.... please... I will work as much overtime as possible and save up for it...

haha jk only daydreaming... let a lad have his dreams!!!

Heresey, you hear......  
blink.gif

Break out the tar and feathers, and then the rail.........   run him outta town....!!!!!    
ph34r.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #64 of 330
  any new info or impressions of the sonoma model one from canjam nyc. thanks.

Yes, this will be interesting: Listening impressions as well as ETA.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #67 of 330
found these comments in the canjam thread:

m8o. Yes, EXCEPTIONAL! Not a comparison to what you asked ... only have abut 15 minutes listening to that pair... But really not the right thing to demo in this type of setting. Its 'kit' nature where they sell every aspect of the audio chain and the amp isn't compatible with any other electrostatic amp, and more so limited in drive power -- fine I'd say for someone that hears well, not so much for me -- that is made for a silent, and we'll dampened, studio setting. Everyone around you hears what you're listening too as loud as you, and you hear everyone's discussion, and breathing, as loud as if the headphones weren't affixed to your ears. This needed a separate room, with restricted traffic, sans extraneous discussions around you. 
wink.gif
 But with that said, I heard a song recorded on their audio workstation that had a really nice low bass line in the mix (can't remember the artist at the moment) was a visceral experience. While the mids and highs were as detailed and sparkling yet airy as it comes. I left extremely impressed.

ivanrocks321. Sonoma had their interesting electrostatic headphone there, I don't really like to make any detailed statements for open-backed headphone is noise conditions like this but I can say these are very well made and from talking to the folks there the diaphragm should be more robust and resistance to moisture and dust compared to conventional electrostats. I kind of wished they had designed the headphone to be able to work with other electrostatic amps but unfortunately you dont get that option. It would have been nice to be able to buy the system separately and potentially reach a wider span of people who are already invested into a electrostat amp or simply don't have the funds to drop on a complete sonoma system yet but want to get into stat headphones other than what's available in the market now.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #68 of 330
These aren't very specific but it's something :] Hopefully there'll be more.
I wonder how different they sound at this point compared to the Warwick prototype I heard some time ago.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #70 of 330

You can get into the electrostat world for just a few hundred dollars. (Or even under a hundred dollars with electrets.) Just look for used entry-level STAX. There's lots of info on this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread

Or these highly-rated electrostats for under $800: http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-srs-3100/reviews/17976
The srs-5100 system (https://www.staxusa.com/system/stax-srs-5100.html) has balanced inputs, costs twice as much but is still one-third of the price of the Sonoma One, and these guys (Stax) have been around for quite some time, so I would trust them to know their electrostatic stuff..

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #71 of 330
  Or these highly-rated electrostats for under $800: http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-srs-3100/reviews/17976
The srs-5100 system (https://www.staxusa.com/system/stax-srs-5100.html) has balanced inputs, costs twice as much but is still one-third of the price of the Sonoma One, and these guys (Stax) have been around for quite some time, so I would trust them to know their electrostatic stuff..

Yeah, the SR-L300 is the replacement of the entry-level SR-207. Its current US retail price is $430. (Same headphone as in the SRS-3100 system.)

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #72 of 330
Sonoma     V/S     Hugo2 + Focal Utopia     V/S     Woo Audio WA8 + Focal Utopia   :  Very interesting Battle.... 
biggrin.gif

indeed, every time I heard the Utopia I thought " this is a little Stax"...    So it is not guarantee the SONOMA will win !   I guess it will be sound signature preferences..

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #73 of 330
TBH with you guys. I wanted to buy sonoma model one.

But since I try it on NYC canjam. I want it no more.

The unit they have it inside are very thick compare to the HE1000    World’s First Diaphragm in Nanometer Thickness.

They have two pair that day. I tried both. right side one when you playing heavy bass   HIP POP. 

right earcup making   "PO~PO~PO"  noise and shake hard. like a speaker.     I don't like it.

Also the sound is "bored". Not musical type,  but sound straight and hard.

I think they need to do somthing to their      DAC unit since they using ESS9028.

If you didnt tune it well all ESS DAC chip sound like that.

Very disappoint.      

Was hoping this one can beat SR009 with BHSE.

then I try   HOLO spring + BHSE + SR009, they are way better (yea cost double).

guess I will  wait for this one no more.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #74 of 330
Disapointing ! :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back