Sonoma Model One electrostatic headphone system
Oct 13, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #17 of 330
Pretty much a copy-pasta from my RMAF post.

I spent nearly 1.5 hours at their booth talking with Dr. Andrew Demery. Ironically, Martin Roberts, the CEO of Warwick and creator of the Model One system, was there but he didn't do very much talking.

Having a background with STAX electrostatic headphones, and knowing Sonoma workstations from Blue Coast Records/Cookie Marenco, Dr. Demery and I had a lot of common ground to start on.

To start off, Dr. Demery explained to me a little bit about the system before I gave them a listen. It's basically an all-in-one unit: USB cable/voltage power supply/DAC/amp/headphones and is priced at $5000 USD. A hefty price for sure, but given that a SR-009 is $4k by itself, and most electrostatic amplifiers are upwards of $1.5k, it's actually priced really, really competitively.

That being said, this is also its bane. Having an all-in-one forces you to use their system, whether you like it or not, and it's a closed environment. The headphone connector (which looks like a BNC connection but with 8 pins) is completely different from any electrostatic headphone out there, and it's biased at over 1 kilovolt. Yes, KILO volt.

The DAC portion has a typical ESS Sabre DAC chip, so it does the usual 32/384/DSD128 processing. It can take USB and S/PDIF inputs.

For analog inputs (RCA), it actually has has an AKM 32/384 ADC to convert the signal back into a digital format.

No matter what the input signal is, it does some DSP so that the response at the headphone is similar.

If you thought that was pretty unique, wait until you hear about how the headphone is made.

This electrostatic headphone uses a single-sided diaphragm. Wait...what? Yes, single-sided. It's described here in Tyll's video:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G12Bfa4r1o[/video]

Essentially, they created the diaphragm so that it can be mass produced. It's quite a novel method in my knowledge of how electrostats are made. It's basically a piece of super flexible and fairly thick metalized polymer ("foil," for the sake of discussion), a honeycomb-sectioned plastic grill pressed on top of that, and a piece of (orange-tinted) silk laid over that. By using this method of creating the diaphragm, it almost makes for a closed-back headphone in a sense that the driver ("foil") is facing your ear while the plastic and silk face the outside and there's no perforated metal stator. The "foil" itself is semi-transparent (like sunglasses) and you can see through the driver like you can with a typical electrostatic headphone. The honeycomb-patterned plastic pressing against the "foil" tensions sections of it when it's put into the driver mount frame, and it moves when the "foil" is charged, kind of like the top of a drum.

mind = blown

The earcups and bales are made of injected magnesium, so the headphone itself is ultra light despite how "thick" it looks. The earpads and headpad are of a sheep leather.

Everything about this system screams one-of-a-kind to me. Holy smokes, the amount of thought and R&D put into this system is just incredible.

BUT, how does it sound? To me, to be perfectly honest, it sounded kind of boring. It didn't do anything particularly wrong, but it didn't do anything particularly special either. Keep in mind that this was in the CanJam tent and not the Marriott hotel, so the source was USB-fed audio and not the mastering analog tape that they had in the hotel. The source material, and maybe the noise, could very well be a factor for these impressions. If I had more time, I would have went upstairs to their room to listen to the tape masters. This is Sonoma Acoustics we're talking about here, and analog and DSD recordings are their forte.

If I had to compare it to a STAX headphone, it sounds like a hybrid between the SR-007 MKI and the SR-009. It has the musicality of the 007, but the texture and detail retrieval of the 009.

Dr. Demery and I spent some time talking about the history of headphones and how we both think it's ridiculous to see audiophiles doing certain things to their systems just to alter the sound a little bit. Eventually we landed on the topic of headphone measurements and we discussed how the Model One was tuned. According to him, the Model One was tuned to neither the diffuse-field, nor the free-field, nor the Harman target response curves. Instead, they tuned it to how their monitoring speakers sound. Given that they directly work with musicians, artists, and recording engineers, I'd think they've got the tuning down for their preferred sound.

Perhaps the sound was boring to me, but if they need accuracy for their professional work, then accuracy is what they've got, and I think they did a fantastic job at it.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #19 of 330
BUT, how does it sound? To me, to be perfectly honest, it sounded kind of boring. It didn't do anything particularly wrong, but it didn't do anything particularly special either. Keep in mind that this was in the CanJam tent and not the Marriott hotel, so the source was USB-fed audio and not the mastering analog tape that they had in the hotel. The source material, and maybe the noise, could very well be a factor for these impressions. If I had more time, I would have went upstairs to their room to listen to the tape masters. This is Sonoma Acoustics we're talking about here, and analog and DSD recordings are their forte.

If I had to compare it to a STAX headphone, it sounds like a hybrid between the SR-007 MKI and the SR-009. It has the musicality of the 007, but the texture and detail retrieval of the 009.

Dr. Demery and I spent some time talking about the history of headphones and how we both think it's ridiculous to see audiophiles doing certain things to their systems just to alter the sound a little bit. Eventually we landed on the topic of headphone measurements and we discussed how the Model One was tuned. According to him, the Model One was tuned to neither the diffuse-field, nor the free-field, nor the Harman target response curves. Instead, they tuned it to how their monitoring speakers sound. Given that they directly work with musicians, artists, and recording engineers, I'd think they've got the tuning down for their preferred sound.

Perhaps the sound was boring to me, but if they need accuracy for their professional work, then accuracy is what they've got, and I think they did a fantastic job at it.

So if it has musicality, texture, and detail, in which ways was it boring? Did it lack impact and dynamics, for example?

You implied that it sounded accurate despite sounding boring to you. In which ways do you think it is inaccurate?

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 330
It's interesting as I don't find accurate = boring, unless the energy is smoothed, in which case it is only semi-reference :D

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #22 of 330
So if it has musicality, texture, and detail, in which ways was it boring? Did it lack impact and dynamics, for example?

You implied that it sounded accurate despite sounding boring to you. In which ways do you think it is inaccurate?

It's interesting as I don't find accurate = boring, unless the energy is smoothed, in which case it is only semi-reference :D

It's kind of a mix between sounding technical like the SR-207/SR-009, and musical like the Ether ES/SR-007.

STAX has traditionally made their Lambda series headphones to match closely with the diffuse-field head-related transfer function. That's what I'm used to and that's my ideal "neutral" since it's well-defined throughout history, objectively. That's a big part of the reason why I bought the Etymotic ER4SR at the end of RMAF because it sounded so similar to that HRTF relative to my 207 and is the in-ear monitor used by engineers around the world.

^ Struck: Refinements in the Electroacoustic Testing of Headphones, AES, 2016

I've generally found headphones that follow the Olive-Welti (AKA Harman) target curve to sound boring. Essentially it's a DF-HRTF but with added bass and reduced treble to emulate room acoustics with playback of speakers. I think the Model One follows this general sound signature, as it should given that they tuned it to sound like their reference speakers.

^ Olive, Welti, McMullin: Listener Preferences for In-Room Loudspeaker and Headphone Target Responses, AES 135, 2013

The two are close enough that I find both to sound accurate, just one is more pleasing to listen to (Harman target), which for me sounds a bit boring.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #23 of 330
I can take any reference sounding headphone that does not spike in the 4-5K region. This makes many modern bright recordings unbearable. To my ears, lots of hi-fi headphones like to have increased treble response. I am alright with a 2 - 3K raise for presence or 6 - 10K raise for air / breadth.
Headphones that perform well enough in the treble for me include the Flows, Utopias, Orpheus, new Staxes and 007 [excludes the 009], the LCD4 and others
Headphones where I take some degree of issues with their treble response - HiFiMAN [save for the 400S and possibly the HEX], Beyerdynamics [T1], most Ultrasones, most AKGs [minus the K7XX and K712], the HD800 [regular] and more,
It is interesting [well, it does make me sad but also fortunate to not have to buy such :p] that lots of high fidelity headphones just feel the need to emphasize that particular region. It's been the first thing I aim for in graphs and FR curves.
Still excited to hear these :]

Oct 13, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #24 of 330
  Too damn funny.  Everybody and their pet monkey are trying to jump on board this ridiculous $5k+ headphone train.

Hey man...long time! Hope you've been doing well. 
smile.gif

Just to clarify, the $5k includes the DAC/Amp combination upfront. But I agree, I'm not a fan of the uber expensive trend. I remember the good old days when the HD650s were pricey. 

This was a very clean sounding setup at RMAF and I did like what I heard (under meet conditions though). Build quality was definitely top shelf stuff though.

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #25 of 330
I spent considerable time listening to the "Sonoma Model One " system-both in the Can Jam tent and upstairs in the hotel. Listening in the tent was a total waste of time. Terrible quality power going to all vendors inside the tent and a NOISY crowded environment.

In the hotel suite the Sonoma System had high quality power as it was being fed by a PS Audio 10 Power conditioner. The room was quiet and the sound generated was really quite special. I heard detail, fast transients and yet there were rich  full harmonics that allowed me to experience music in a special personal manner. I do think the Sonoma provides a very special listening experience.

CanJam needs to find ways to allow listeners to have the correct listening environment for all the high end headphones that are now available.

It really is quite sad to fly to Denver to have to put up with an event that is held in a circus tent with critical power coming from crappy portable generators. 

David Pritchard

Oct 15, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #26 of 330
I'm curious, I wonder how many peoples' impressions of things change when the environment changes. For me, listening to something in a quiet or noisy room hasn't influenced my thoughts on the overall sound. My thoughts of things in noisy Head-Fi meets seem to be unchanged when I use the same gear in my own quiet room.

The Model One had 2 different setups in 2 different areas, which makes the comparison by nature unfair.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #30 of 330
  That is a system with an es headphone, class-A amp, a built-in DAC that can do DSD and two analog inputs. From what people said after listening to it, it can run with an 009/BHSE pairing. If its just behind an 009/BHSE pairing, I'm sold, its much cheaper and transportable. Its a single ended es, there is only one stator on the outer side. No stator on the ear side to impede the music. I'm interested in it but prefers that it works with other es amps. But I don't know if that is possible given that it has only one stator.

If you just want a high end transportable headphone, why not the Focal Utopia? Outside of it's limited soundstage, it pretty much keeps up with much more expensive electrostatic systems, and not having to carry a dedicated electrostatic amplifier on top of whatever DAC/DAP you have seems really convenient. Of course if your main complaint with the Utopia is the soundstage there's not much that can be done I guess other than doing earpad mods (making the ear openings bigger and using thicker foam to create wider separation)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back