Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Jan 4, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #1,321 of 1,507
and here i thought it was a product feature
I dont think it has separate Left and Right volume control so should remain even at both side

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #1,322 of 1,507
I would only use XLR out from the DAC. Source should feed it I2S or AES if not.

I only have RCA cables and RCA to XLR adapters and only diff I hear is volume output but that might be because the adapters are not optimal compared to actual xlr cables.

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #1,323 of 1,507
I only have RCA cables and RCA to XLR adapters and only diff I hear is volume output but that might be because the adapters are not optimal compared to actual xlr cables.
connect RCA out of DAC to RCA input of amp or XLR output of DAC to XLR input of amp. Never Mix that is dont take RCA output of DAC and connect to XLR input of amp.
As far as digital connection goes below is my suggestion
I2S > AES(Balanced Coax required 110 Ohm XLR cable) > RCA (Coax) > Optical/USB
For I2S, below are products
1. Metrum Ambre
2. Sonnet Hermes
3. Pi2AES Mercury V2
4. Singxer SU-6
5. Denafrips DDCs with Special ordered UTP cable as per specs
6. Pi2AES HAT (out of production)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #1,324 of 1,507
Does the Morpheus' personality change when plugging it into a DDC?

IME, DDC alters the DAC's sound very drastically. Case in point, every dac i plugged into the SU-6 sounds like a SDA-2 clone. And, I didn't like the SDA-2.

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,325 of 1,507
Does the Morpheus' personality change when plugging it into a DDC?

IME, DDC alters the DAC's sound very drastically. Case in point, every dac i plugged into the SU-6 sounds like a SDA-2 clone. And, I didn't like the SDA-2.
Not only Morpheus but all DAC perform well with good, clean, jitter free signal and that's what good DDC do

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #1,326 of 1,507
Not only Morpheus but all DAC perform well with good, clean, jitter free signal and that's what good DDC do
so in the end every dac sounds the same

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #1,327 of 1,507
so in the end every dac sounds the same
no, I didnt say that.
My point was there is improvement in DAC performance with clean digital signal.

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #1,328 of 1,507
no, I didnt say that.
My point was there is improvement in DAC performance with clean digital signal.

Just in my experience, DDC doesn't always do DACs better.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,329 of 1,507
In my experience, every DAC is different and every DDC is too, so it's tough to make a blanket proclamation about how they will interact.

@kumar402 has a point that in general, many DACs perform better when being fed a clean, low jitter, low noise signal.

@viggen also has a point that this is not completely universal in its application.

That still leaves us with many variations that could happen when we throw a random DDC in with a random DAC. Maybe that particular DDC sounds better than your particular CD player used as transport to feed your particular DAC, but then again maybe that DAC just sounds better via USB input - so the DDC is both an improvement and also not the best option.

Or maybe your DAC is actually a bit more clinical than you'd like, and a higher jitter source actually gives you welcome euphonic coloration which you perceive as "better" than the ultra-clean signal from the DDC.

There are many possibilities.

Jan 5, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #1,330 of 1,507
connect RCA out of DAC to RCA input of amp or XLR output of DAC to XLR input of amp. Never Mix that is dont take RCA output of DAC and connect to XLR input of amp.
As far as digital connection goes below is my suggestion
I2S > AES(Balanced Coax required 110 Ohm XLR cable) > RCA (Coax) > Optical/USB
For I2S, below are products
1. Metrum Ambre
2. Sonnet Hermes
3. Pi2AES Mercury V2
4. Singxer SU-6
5. Denafrips DDCs with Special ordered UTP cable as per specs
6. Pi2AES HAT (out of production)
Interesting! Do you know how the Mercury V2 stacks up against the Ambre in performance? (I'm wondering whether the power supply inside the ambre makes a noticeable difference in SQ).

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #1,331 of 1,507
Interesting! Do you know how the Mercury V2 stacks up against the Ambre in performance? (I'm wondering whether the power supply inside the ambre makes a noticeable difference in SQ).
I dont have V2 and have V1 but V1 doesnt have I2S. Ambre I2s to Sonnet DAC is better compared to V1 powered by Sbooster.
However, difference is not day and night, and you can be happy with both.
It's more of a side grade with Ambre slightly better

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,332 of 1,507
Question for Ambre users: I just got an uptone ether regen to replace my existing switch, but the Ambre can't connect to the LAN from the 'B' side of the switch (the "clean" side where it's supposed to be plugged in). It can connect from the A side, and I tried multiple cables on the B side to no avail, and I was able to get to the LAN/internet from the B side when plugging into my computer, so I take that as evidence that the switch is working, seems to be pointing to the Ambre. I can't find any threads where others have an issue with these devices, thought I'd throw it out there! Thanks,
Ron

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,333 of 1,507
Question for Ambre users: I just got an uptone ether regen to replace my existing switch, but the Ambre can't connect to the LAN from the 'B' side of the switch (the "clean" side where it's supposed to be plugged in). It can connect from the A side, and I tried multiple cables on the B side to no avail, and I was able to get to the LAN/internet from the B side when plugging into my computer, so I take that as evidence that the switch is working, seems to be pointing to the Ambre. I can't find any threads where others have an issue with these devices, thought I'd throw it out there! Thanks,
Ron
Not working as in you don’t see the LAN green light “ON” or you don’t see Ambre in Roon?
May be it has a different IP so you have to enable it again in Roon when you connect via cleaner side ? Could you check again after connecting to cleaner side if it comes in Settings -> Audio and just waiting to be enabled again ?

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #1,334 of 1,507
Not working as in you don’t see the LAN green light “ON” or you don’t see Ambre in Roon?
May be it has a different IP so you have to enable it again in Roon when you connect via cleaner side ? Could you check again after connecting to cleaner side if it comes in Settings -> Audio and just waiting to be enabled again ?
Thanks for the input. Not working as in the LAN light stays off when connected to the B side (and hence it's invisible to Roon). Putting it into the A side the light immediately comes on and it's visible in Roon.

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,335 of 1,507
Thanks for the input. Not working as in the LAN light stays off when connected to the B side (and hence it's invisible to Roon). Putting it into the A side the light immediately comes on and it's visible in Roon.
that's strange. I too am using Fiber media converter to cleanup ethernet and never had this issue with Ambre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back