Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #1,352 of 1,507
I see it differently. My understanding is this is natural combination. Upsample signal to max. in HQplayer and do not touch it at the DAC. But anyway, whenever you deliver max. sampling rate to the DAC, it can't do any more upsampling, so with HQplayer (or any other external hardware or software upsampler) you effectively turn any DAC to NOS mode.
Not if input is limited to 192Khz and DAC internally does 8x upsample

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,353 of 1,507
You can try wavedream edition XLR or signature SE/XLR. Rockna has an excellent internal OS filter. No need for HQP system. Majority WD owners prefer internal linear filter.
Those editions of the wavedream do look intriguing, but they're way outside the ballpark of the Pasithea budgetwise, and I am trying to exercise some restraint on that front at the moment, unfortunately :)

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #1,354 of 1,507
Rockna wavedream is double the asking price of Sonnet DAC

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #1,355 of 1,507
Jan 16, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #1,356 of 1,507
Yes you can definitely experiment with this. I tested multiple combinations with the Adagio (USB directly vs Metrum Ambre I2s and others). I made a detailed comparison over at audiophilestyle a couple of years ago: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55235-gentooplayer/page/22/#comment-1018185
I’ve gone through your post & agree with your impressions. Your post helped me a lot. I’m also using gentooplayer in my modded ambre (rpi4) since 2-3yrs & it has evolved a lot. Now I’ve switched to diretta streaming protocol which sounds superior to upnp/HQP NAA.
Thanks

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,357 of 1,507
Trade-up Morpheus for Pasithea or keep it for a different setup?

I hate having to wash my Neurotic/Nervosa "linens" (or decisions) in public like this, but I can't see an obvious solution to this dilemma, so I am wondering whether I can get some help from the collective wisdom of forum members

Either:

1. Exchange my Sonnet Morpheus (for a Trade-in cash value of $2100) for a Pasithea or
2. Buy the Pasithea at full retail ($4979.00, and keep the Morpheus for another rig which will be operative in about a year from now when I have moved from my current apartment where components for the other rig (an HT/Speaker/HP rig) are currently boxed up for lack of space.

As far as I can see : with option #1 I just get the Pasithea by paying less and "sacrificing" the Morpheus for now. With option #2 I get to keep the Morpheus (which I still love and enjoy immensely) and pay full retail for the Pasithea, but I do not get to re-use the Morpheus in my alternative (speaker/HT/HP) rig until I have moved, in about a year from now. However, I shall get a direct first hand assessment of how the Morpheus stacks up against the Pasithea, since I can compare the two side by side, among other things. In this second scenario, I wouldn't consider selling it, but if I should change my mind, Is the Morpheus likely to retain its resale value (for example: in case I should decide to try a competing DAC on the market, although I do not see why I would like to do that0?

If anyone sees an obviously advantageous or disadvantageous option in the two choices listed above, or has any helpful input to make, kindly chime in.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,358 of 1,507
Trade-up Morpheus for Pasithea or keep it for a different setup?

I hate having to wash my Neurotic/Nervosa "linens" (or decisions) in public like this, but I can't see an obvious solution to this dilemma, so I am wondering whether I can get some help from the collective wisdom of forum members

Either:

1. Exchange my Sonnet Morpheus (for a Trade-in cash value of $2100) for a Pasithea or
2. Buy the Pasithea at full retail ($4979.00, and keep the Morpheus for another rig which will be operative in about a year from now when I have moved from my current apartment where components for the other rig (an HT/Speaker/HP rig) are currently boxed up for lack of space.

As far as I can see : with option #1 I just get the Pasithea by paying less and "sacrificing" the Morpheus for now. With option #2 I get to keep the Morpheus (which I still love and enjoy immensely) and pay full retail for the Pasithea, but I do not get to re-use the Morpheus in my alternative (speaker/HT/HP) rig until I have moved, in about a year from now. However, I shall get a direct first hand assessment of how the Morpheus stacks up against the Pasithea, since I can compare the two side by side, among other things. In this second scenario, I wouldn't consider selling it, but if I should change my mind, Is the Morpheus likely to retain its resale value (for example: in case I should decide to try a competing DAC on the market, although I do not see why I would like to do that0?

If anyone sees an obviously advantageous or disadvantageous option in the two choices listed above, or has any helpful input to make, kindly chime in.

Many thanks in advance.
thats a good question....I feel you should tradeUp Morpheus and get Pasithea if you don't plan to use it atleast for a year. After a Year, you can get Morpheus from used market for around ~2300, maybe you can negotiate to bring it closer to ~2300 during tradeup or ~2100 when you buy it used?
$2100 in bank or in some savings scheme where money grows is always better than being unused. Only downside will be the Morpheus from used market will be 02nd hand. However, you never know may be for 2ch you will use Pasithea and get another DAC for headphones after a year.

PS. Just realized how easy it is to give Funda. My Morpheus is in another location unused for a year now. :gs1000smile:

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #1,360 of 1,507
Okay guys, this is a "best practices" question. I notice that the Pasithea has air vents on top of the chassis, whereasthe Morpheus didn't :

DSC9886-3_1024x1024@2x.png

47058-3__83860.1672276770.jpg

I used to stack components on top of Morpheus without any second thoughts when I had it, notably, my Mwtrum Ambre, as someone is doing in the picture below with the
Hermes :

c3dd446d52bc8d9af36e8f8e4e44d3c60dd6e98a.jpeg

Question: Would it be a sound idea to do the same with the Pasithea by placing my Ambre upon it, especially if I can use some of these silicone isolation pads to widen the space between the two components and create more room for the circulation of air by increasing the length of the Ambre's rubber feet?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #1,362 of 1,507
Okay guys, this is a "best practices" question. I notice that the Pasithea has air vents on top of the chassis, whereasthe Morpheus didn't :

DSC9886-3_1024x1024@2x.png

47058-3__83860.1672276770.jpg

I used to stack components on top of Morpheus without any second thoughts when I had it, notably, my Mwtrum Ambre, as someone is doing in the picture below with the
Hermes :

c3dd446d52bc8d9af36e8f8e4e44d3c60dd6e98a.jpeg

Question: Would it be a sound idea to do the same with the Pasithea by placing my Ambre upon it, especially if I can use some of these silicone isolation pads to widen the space between the two components and create more room for the circulation of air by increasing the length of the Ambre's rubber feet?
Pasithea runs hot and hence those vents are provided. I would place them side by side

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #1,363 of 1,507
Stacking audio gear is not a good thing and Pasithea runs hotter than Morpheus.
Sorry there was an error in the link in the previous post, which I have just corrected. The silicone isolation pads I referred to are these:

512wRWL0R+L._AC_SX679_.jpg
37577-5__57158.1637171343.jpg
71Q1z0E0BfL._AC_SX679_.jpg

When used to support the rubber feet of the Ambre they enable a clearance of almost 2 inches for airflow between the ambre and the component stacked below it. I have used them this way to isolate and space out other components in other rigs, and they work well every time. I have not yet fired up the Pasithea, so I have no idea how hot it gets, which is why I am asking. I am just trying to save some space on my near-field listening rack, but if approx. 2 inches of clearance for airflow between ambre and Pasithea won't work, then I would have to find another approach.

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #1,364 of 1,507
Pasithea runs hot and hence those vents are provided. I would place them side by side
Okay, I shall try the side-by-side approach and see just how hot the Pasithea gets, before taking things any further, if I should decide to do that at all. I just have to rearrange some stuff in the rack before I can do that, which feels like a slight PITA ATM. but I'll get there.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #1,365 of 1,507
Sorry there was an error in the link in the previous post, which I have just corrected. The silicone isolation pads I referred to are these:

512wRWL0R+L._AC_SX679_.jpg
37577-5__57158.1637171343.jpg
71Q1z0E0BfL._AC_SX679_.jpg

When used to support the rubber feet of the Ambre they enable a clearance of almost 2 inches for airflow between the ambre and the component stacked below it. I have used them this way to isolate and space out other components in other rigs, and they work well every time. I have not yet fired up the Pasithea, so I have no idea how hot it gets, which is why I am asking. I am just trying to save some space on my near-field listening rack, but if approx. 2 inches of clearance for airflow between ambre and Pasithea won't work, then I would have to find another approach.
Those R2R chips in Pasithea gets hot and since we keep it on all the time so for longevity I would not stack it on top even with feet and
Congrats on new DAC:beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back