Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Jan 7, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,338 of 1,507
Hi, has anyone tried to connect Morpheus with LKS Audio USB 100 through rj45 socket?
Looks interesting
Below is what is given for LKS
D445E90F-97F3-440B-A194-C0F3ADC3F4C6.jpeg

And below is what supported by Sonnet
0F6D5932-AB47-49AC-B3BC-B9C5A14CA331.jpeg

I guess we just have to make sure 8th wire in LAN clip going in LKS is 7th one in the LAN clip going in DAC. So a small tweak in cable is needed I feel. May be those guys at LKS will do as anyone who has experience in putting these LAN cable inside those clips can do it.
But this might be the cheapest way to get 384Khz via I2S to Sonnet DAC. However clock of this device is very important

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #1,339 of 1,507
Looks interesting
Below is what is given for LKS
D445E90F-97F3-440B-A194-C0F3ADC3F4C6.jpeg

And below is what supported by Sonnet
0F6D5932-AB47-49AC-B3BC-B9C5A14CA331.jpeg

I guess we just have to make sure 8th wire in LAN clip going in LKS is 7th one in the LAN clip going in DAC. So a small tweak in cable is needed I feel. May be those guys at LKS will do as anyone who has experience in putting these LAN cable inside those clips can do it.
But this might be the cheapest way to get 384Khz via I2S to Sonnet DAC. However clock of this device is very important
Answer from Sonnet

Unfortunately that will not work.
The I2S connector is not the same because the master clock on our device is on pin 7 not pin 8 as in your case. Even if that pin is in the correct position this would still not a guarantee that it will work. The question is whether your device can handle a load of 100 Ohms.

Jan 12, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #1,340 of 1,507
Jan 12, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,341 of 1,507
Makes me want to upgrade, although i still enjoy my morpheus quite a bit. It is still not clear to me whether, sonically speaking, the Pasithea would represent a better upgrade over the May KTE (because I have heard neither of them in my system). I do have have the Metrum Ambre, which will play nicer with the Pasithea, but beyond that I would like to hear what comparative impressions there might be out there between the two,

If anyone has heard both and would like to chime in with their impressions, they would be very welcome.

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #1,342 of 1,507
Makes me want to upgrade, although i still enjoy my morpheus quite a bit. It is still not clear to me whether, sonically speaking, the Pasithea would represent a better upgrade over the May KTE (because I have heard neither of them in my system). I do have have the Metrum Ambre, which will play nicer with the Pasithea, but beyond that I would like to hear what comparative impressions there might be out there between the two,

If anyone has heard both and would like to chime in with their impressions, they would be very welcome.
I haven't heard May KTE but whoever has it uses it with upsampling so you need to factor in HQPLAYER and hardware etc. 90% of impression of May KTE is withHqplayer

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #1,343 of 1,507
Strange why they use HQP so much with Holo May? I tried HQP with Morpheus and i was not impressed.

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #1,344 of 1,507
Strange why they use HQP so much with Holo May? I tried HQP with Morpheus and i was not impressed.
I used it with Schiit Multibit DAC and helped me tame the glare that I had in lower treble with some filters. Never used it with Metrum or Sonnet DAC.

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #1,345 of 1,507

You can try wavedream edition XLR or signature SE/XLR. Rockna has an excellent internal OS filter. No need for HQP system. Majority WD owners prefer internal linear filter.

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #1,346 of 1,507
I’ve tried HQPe 8x upsampling with pavane/su6 i2s & results are really good.

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #1,347 of 1,507
I’ve tried HQPe 8x upsampling with pavane/su6 i2s & results are really good.
The idea of upsampling a NOS DAC just seems wrong to me. Heresy even 🤣

Jan 15, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,348 of 1,507
The idea of upsampling a NOS DAC just seems wrong to me. Heresy even 🤣
I see it differently. My understanding is this is natural combination. Upsample signal to max. in HQplayer and do not touch it at the DAC. But anyway, whenever you deliver max. sampling rate to the DAC, it can't do any more upsampling, so with HQplayer (or any other external hardware or software upsampler) you effectively turn any DAC to NOS mode.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #1,349 of 1,507
I see it differently. My understanding is this is natural combination. Upsample signal to max. in HQplayer and do not touch it at the DAC. But anyway, whenever you deliver max. sampling rate to the DAC, it can't do any more upsampling, so with HQplayer (or any other external hardware or software upsampler) you effectively turn any DAC to NOS mode.
That isn't how NOS DACs are supposed to be used. The entire premise is based upon feeding native sample rates, not upsampling 44.1KHz to eleventy billion THz.

I understand your argument, but it doesn't work for me. Knock yourself out obviously.

Jan 15, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,350 of 1,507
There is nothing wrong in experimenting imo. Upsampled stream sounds different as compared to NOS. It’s like rolling tubes. I switch between two modes depending on the genre, recording quality etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back