Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Dec 30, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,291 of 1,507
Dec 30, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,292 of 1,507
So, yesterday I bought the "son" and should receive it next week. In anticipation, I read all 86 pages of this thread lastnight. And, I came across the alphaaudio video where the Metrum Pavane with DAC3 is compared against the "son". And, out of my Bose pc speakers, I prefer the Pavane. I currently have Lab12 DAC1se and wanted to get a preamp but thought to give the son a try since it has volume control so to bypass my integrated amp's Blue Velvet potentiometer.
Pavane DAC3 is an exceptional DAC. Morpheus is obviously cheaper, but still a ridiculous performer. You can't lose, whichever you choose.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,294 of 1,507
hi dad?
82fc2d29bdcc2bbc7e6d226c728cc09a2f24a85ar1-319-401v2_hq.jpg

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,295 of 1,507
Pavane DAC3 is an exceptional DAC. Morpheus is obviously cheaper, but still a ridiculous performer. You can't loose, whichever you choose.
I got the dac from TMR so got 14 days to decide. I prefer a wetter thicker denser tone which is what the Pavane has over the Morpheus. And, I'd gander the Pavane with DAC2 would be even more my cup of tea. There is one member on here that lost his interest in audio after he sold his Pavane DAC2. I surmise my taste is similar to his. But, I am just basing this on one youtube video. I was actually shopping for a preamp when I happened to see the Morpheus. It checks all the form/functional boxes. Hoping it does in the tone department too.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #1,296 of 1,507
I got the dac from TMR so got 14 days to decide. I prefer a wetter thicker denser tone which is what the Pavane has over the Morpheus. And, I'd gander the Pavane with DAC2 would be even more my cup of tea. There is one member on here that lost his interest in audio after he sold his Pavane DAC2. I surmise my taste is similar to his. But, I am just basing this on one youtube video. I was actually shopping for a preamp when I happened to see the Morpheus. It checks all the form/functional boxes. Hoping it does in the tone department too.
Have you heard the Morpheus yet in your system or are you judging by the youtube video? I don't think Pavane with new DAC chip is denser then Morpheus and believe me you don't want to go too dense.
Morpheus is relaxed, dense DAC AS-IS.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #1,297 of 1,507
I have the DAC2 Adagio in my main system, which is Pavane with volume control. DAC3 provides greater detail/resolution at the expense of warmth, and Morpheus and Pasithea take that further still.

Another forum member had DAC2 Pavane, then Morpheus, then Pasithea, then ended up with DAC3 Pavane which he felt to be the sweet spot.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,299 of 1,507
Dec 30, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #1,300 of 1,507
I have the DAC2 Adagio in my main system, which is Pavane with volume control. DAC3 provides greater detail/resolution at the expense of warmth, and Morpheus and Pasithea take that further still.

Another forum member had DAC2 Pavane, then Morpheus, then Pasithea, then ended up with DAC3 Pavane which he felt to be the sweet spot.
That's the observation I have so far. And, I think we're referring to the same guy. He has a motorcycle avatar.

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #1,301 of 1,507
That's the observation I have so far. And, I think we're referring to the same guy. He has a motorcycle avatar.
Pasithea will give all the details and put it in a big canvas. Yes, not as warm as Metrum DAC but I haven't heard the new chip in Pavane. May be the new DAC 3 chip brings Metrum DAC closer to Pasithea. However Morpheus is warm DAC if you like warm sound with relaxed treble and good soundstage then no way you will go wrong with Morpheus.

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #1,302 of 1,507
Pasithea will give all the details and put it in a big canvas. Yes, not as warm as Metrum DAC but I haven't heard the new chip in Pavane. May be the new DAC 3 chip brings Metrum DAC closer to Pasithea. However Morpheus is warm DAC if you like warm sound with relaxed treble and good soundstage then no way you will go wrong with Morpheus.
I've seen that comment about Sonnet DACs and I just don't understand it. There's no difference between the DACs other than the number of modules; they should sound identical in terms of warmth. The additional modules only decreasing the noise floor and increasing the resolution.

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,303 of 1,507
I've seen that comment about Sonnet DACs and I just don't understand it. There's no difference between the DACs other than the number of modules; they should sound identical in terms of warmth. The additional modules only decreasing the noise floor and increasing the resolution.
I have Pasithea and morpheus although never together but have heard both at home in my own system and can say that Morpheus is warmer sounding of 2

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,304 of 1,507
I have Pasithea and morpheus although never together but have heard both at home in my own system and can say that Morpheus is warmer sounding of 2
I'm not disputing your experience, I'm trying to understand how it's possible.

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,305 of 1,507
So Sonnet Audio has a "son" DAC and a "dad" DAC. Does anyone know what Greek or Latin name they would give to a "Holy Spirit" DAC when it lands, assuming there is another Sonnet DAC in the works? Okay never mind.:)

Now speaking of possible new sonnet DACs :

Holy-Spirit.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back