Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Dec 17, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #1,276 of 1,507
are you guys using Cat6 or Cat 8 ethernet cable for I2S connecrion? I was moving my electronics and plugged Ambre and DAC in different power outlet and when connected via Cat8 supra LAN cable I experienced ground loop. Obviously if I connect both devices to same power outlet then no issues but when connected to different outlet I have this issue. I replaced Cat 8 cable with Cat6 and no ground loop as Cat 6 is unsheilded and hence thought of checking with you all.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #1,277 of 1,507
are you guys using Cat6 or Cat 8 ethernet cable for I2S connecrion? I was moving my electronics and plugged Ambre and DAC in different power outlet and when connected via Cat8 supra LAN cable I experienced ground loop. Obviously if I connect both devices to same power outlet then no issues but when connected to different outlet I have this issue. I replaced Cat 8 cable with Cat6 and no ground loop as Cat 6 is unsheilded and hence thought of checking with you all.
You are not only one. UTP is my choice, but CAT5e is good enough for audio. I don't know why audiophiles push for shielded cables. Also reduce link speed to 100Mbit/s, it will be less noise.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #1,278 of 1,507
You are not only one. UTP is my choice, but CAT5e is good enough for audio. I don't know why audiophiles push for shielded cables. Also reduce link speed to 100Mbit/s, it will be less noise.
This advice saved some dollars as using a bunch of generic cat 5e & 6 cables are certainly not preventing my 2 week old LHY SW-8 switch making a big improvement to my system (soundstaging depth & precision, extended decay of notes, flow of music).

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #1,279 of 1,507
Agree Cat 8 is not the way to go for I2S connection.

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #1,280 of 1,507
Agree Cat 8 is not the way to go for I2S connection.
Apologies… I just realised you were asking about an I2S specific rather than network data use case. But hopefully the principles and considerations involved are the same so my comment is of some value.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #1,281 of 1,507
Apologies… I just realised you were asking about an I2S specific rather than network data use case. But hopefully the principles and considerations involved are the same so my comment is of some value.
If my comment was distracting, apologies should be on my side. I thought, I could add link speed, as the same applies for I2S transfers and networking. The biggest enemy in audio equipment is common mode noise, it goes inside and closes loop through the power supply. A type of transfer leads to some preferences, but blocking common mode noise should be our primary goal. It is why UTP. Shielded connections work better in industrial environment, in home istallations can be avoided.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #1,282 of 1,507
Ambre has linear power supply and it uses TentLabs clock and hence I decided to go ahead with it. I'm sure Hermes will perform in equal term as Ambre but I dont see it surpassing Ambre.

For DDC, I had to get a streamer with USB out as I don't want to use laptop

I don't think so. First it uses SMPS and although SU6 will filter the noise out but I don't want SMPS in my music chain. Also it's a DDC so I have to provide a music source with USB out. I did read some comments about it being thinner and bright sounding and hence I stayed clear.
Maybe there is another set up suggestion goes for streamer as well. Not all people use Roon…

Dec 27, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #1,283 of 1,507
Maybe there is another set up suggestion goes for streamer as well. Not all people use Roon…
OS cab be swapped in Ambre. Volumio and RopieeeXL support Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, UpnP apart from Roon

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,285 of 1,507
OS cab be swapped in Ambre. Volumio and RopieeeXL support Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, UpnP apart from Roon
Just preordered a Mercury from Pi2design. I think it can work like the Ambre or Hermes but enable to use local connection with Hard drive. Which I think those are what Ambre and Hermes is missing(they can only use as roon end point or play from NAS ).

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #1,286 of 1,507
Just preordered a Mercury from Pi2design. I think it can work like the Ambre or Hermes but enable to use local connection with Hard drive. Which I think those are what Ambre and Hermes is missing(they can only use as roon end point or play from NAS ).
Yes, Mercury can play from local drive. I do have it in my second setup. I have V1 and not the V2.

The new V2 has I2S available as well to connect to Sonnet and Metrum DAC and has Wi-Fi. Well wifi is in V1 as well

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,288 of 1,507
Yes that’s why I went for v2 instead. So can just use regular pinout rj45 to connect with my Pasithea. Good one.
short LAN cable will work but use UTP cable like CAT 6 and not CAT 8 which is STP and can cause ground Loop.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,289 of 1,507
So, yesterday I bought the "son" and should receive it next week. In anticipation, I read all 86 pages of this thread lastnight. And, I came across the alphaaudio video where the Metrum Pavane with DAC3 is compared against the "son". And, out of my Bose pc speakers, I prefer the Pavane. I currently have Lab12 DAC1se and wanted to get a preamp but thought to give the son a try since it has volume control so to bypass my integrated amp's Blue Velvet potentiometer.

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,290 of 1,507
So, yesterday I bought the "son" and should receive it next week. In anticipation, I read all 86 pages of this thread lastnight. And, I came across the alphaaudio video where the Metrum Pavane with DAC3 is compared against the "son". And, out of my Bose pc speakers, I prefer the Pavane. I currently have Lab12 DAC1se and wanted to get a preamp but thought to give the son a try since it has volume control so to bypass my integrated amp's Blue Velvet potentiometer.
"Son" as in Sonnet Morpheus or Pasithea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back