Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Nov 9, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 1,504
and back :smile:

14.jpg

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 1,504
I’m trying to understand what your remark is. I believe the Adagio and Morpheus have a similar approach on adjusting volume/output. If you have other information, please share

Description of the Adagio (from Metrum site) :
“The idea of having a decent volume control to prevent a necessary Pre-Amplifier could improve performance dramatically. However, we also know that the way of introducing such device in the signal chain can also have a negative effect.

Experiments were made and as result the best sound was coming directly from our Transient™ modules. Even the digital approach did not convince us but still one idea was not tried yet. Especially in case of R2R ladder DACs it is quite easy to change the output voltage of the DAC by changing its reference voltage but to realize this, dedicated DAC boards were designed to get the best regulation possible.”

Nov 26, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #22 of 1,504
It's only a guess, but I think he meant the Lundahl output-transformers that transform the balanced signal to single-ended; in the Onyx and Jade the balanced signal is only summed to deliver a single-ended signal.
24939801-9414-4C3B-AF03-227520FB260B.jpeg
But these transformers, found in the Pavane and Adagio, only cost around €70 (x2 = €140). I would like to find them in the current Morpheus, but probably they will be implemented in the forthcoming TOTL DAC.

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #27 of 1,504
Did anyone get a chance to listen to these? Really interested to see how they stack against Onyx or even Pavane

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #29 of 1,504
Did anyone get a chance to listen to these? Really interested to see how they stack against Onyx or even Pavane

Comments are slow coming (not unusual). Rene van Es has just published (HiFi.nl) and some v. brief comparisons made. A year or so ago Firefox would translate but since its upgrade ... its now downgraded translation function on my PC. Chrome used to work but the other day didn't like it - worked once then packed in. Strange.

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #30 of 1,504

Users who are viewing this thread

Back