Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Apr 21, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #1,111 of 1,507
On page 68 are my thoughts.

Can i use 500ma fuse instead 400ma in Morpheus? Sadly there is no 400ma fuses in my country.

May 24, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #1,112 of 1,507
Can i use 500ma fuse instead 400ma in Morpheus? Sadly there is no 400ma fuses in my country.
You can use but in case of surge the fuse will allow higher current to pass thru

May 24, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #1,114 of 1,507
Just in case anyone is reading this thread for doing research on the Morpheus, I'm selling mine.

One year old with RJ45 i2s. I haven't listed it yet.
PM me if interested.

May 24, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #1,117 of 1,507
First time of me complaining too good
lol but every aspects is the best I have heard after owning DCS( too smooth and image could be sharper) Chord Dave (too light no weight for notes), Metrum ( lack of resolution with loose lows), Terminator Plus ( good bass but weird tuning & unnatural sound), May KTE ( low resolution, over hyped)

Most chip based and FPGA dacs have been chasing resolution with digital sounding while R2R chasing anologue sounding with less resolution. There seems to be always a choice in the continuum between resolution to anologue tuning. Yet this dac peaks and to me over performed in both which is unbelievable so much so that you must listen to believe.

It will satisfy the most critical bass head, detail freak, stage w*, and analogue lover

May 25, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,119 of 1,507
First time of me complaining too good
lol but every aspects is the best I have heard after owning DCS( too smooth and image could be sharper) Chord Dave (too light no weight for notes), Metrum ( lack of resolution with loose lows), Terminator Plus ( good bass but weird tuning & unnatural sound), May KTE ( low resolution, over hyped)

Most chip based and FPGA dacs have been chasing resolution with digital sounding while R2R chasing anologue sounding with less resolution. There seems to be always a choice in the continuum between resolution to anologue tuning. Yet this dac peaks and to me over performed in both which is unbelievable so much so that you must listen to believe.

It will satisfy the most critical bass head, detail freak, stage w*, and analogue lover
I love your last sentence and the Morpheus definitely satisfies all those aspects for me.

May 29, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #1,121 of 1,507
I changed the fuse in my Morpheus, noticeable change in sound for the better.
Earlier in this thread there was lots of talk about fuses, and people were told that a 500ma fuse was not safe to use in the Morpheus, so I am looking forward to hearing how things work out for you. I would love to change the fuses and probably will, but I am most likely going to stick with a 400ma like the stock fuse. Unfortunately, my favorite brand Synergistic Research does not make a 400ma, but there is HiFi Tuning and Audio Magic that both offer a 400ma, and I am probably going to give one of those brands a try someday soon.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #1,123 of 1,507
Why 500ma is not safe? Yes if something goes wrong i can damage whole DAC but im aware of that.

May 29, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #1,124 of 1,507
Why 500ma is not safe? Yes if something goes wrong i can damage whole DAC but im aware of that.
I was told by a guy that is all about fuses, that said he was told by Sonnet not to use 500ma, as it could blow the transformer. He said he was told to use a 400ma and nothing more. Of course, I am sure you might be able to get away with a 500ma, as apparently it's working for you, but it would make me worry too much. I could not imagine being without my Morpheus even for a day, so I am not willing to take a chance and possibly have to send the unit in for repairs if something goes wrong. I just thought I would throw this out there, for others that are thinking about changing the fuses.

Also, if you like those SR Red's, you should really try the SR Purple, as it's in another league.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #1,125 of 1,507
I had spoken with Cees from Sonnet a while ago about fuses and his opinion was that he thought it was laughable that a fuse with a thin wire is going to change the sound.

When I had an Audio Research amp and preamp, I called up Audio Research to ask about using an aftermarket fuse and they told me that if you do then you lose your warranty.

With all that said, from what I was told by various companies that sell these fuses is that the rating on them is lower than stated and they will blow before you hit that rating and even recommended going one up.

For me personally, I didn’t like the sound with the fuses. They did give me a more holographic soundstage, but I felt I lost impact and dynamics. When I put the fuses in I heard the difference at first and thought they were good. However when I took them back out and put the stock fuse back in, it was dramatically better in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back