Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
May 29, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #1,127 of 1,507
FYI i only use cheapest SR fuse and still have quite impact on sound. I'm now curious how other fuses (black, blue, orange) change sound.

May 30, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,131 of 1,507
I have used SR Purple in my DDC and there was significant upgrade to SQ. Mostly in bass and holographic sound. Makes me wonder the impact it will have on amp or DAC. But I don’t want to play around with $3K devices and void warranty.

May 31, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #1,132 of 1,507
Anyone else ever A/B the Morpheus with USB vs. another connection? I bought the Matrix X device and am now using it via AES, but I can also connect the DAC directly with USB and easily switch between the two connections. Honestly I don't hear any difference whether the source files are redbook or 192/24. It's possible at times I'm able to fool myself that via AES it's slightly smoother/less harsh sounding but I'm not convinced it's anything other than wanting to hear some difference to justify the expense, but even if so this is probably the least useful "upgrade" I've made in the hobby so far.

May 31, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #1,134 of 1,507
Anyone else ever A/B the Morpheus with USB vs. another connection? I bought the Matrix X device and am now using it via AES, but I can also connect the DAC directly with USB and easily switch between the two connections. Honestly I don't hear any difference whether the source files are redbook or 192/24. It's possible at times I'm able to fool myself that via AES it's slightly smoother/less harsh sounding but I'm not convinced it's anything other than wanting to hear some difference to justify the expense, but even if so this is probably the least useful "upgrade" I've made in the hobby so far.

I've tried usb and aes into the Morph, and definitely AES over usb. via Singxer su-6. sablon/pink faun usb and SR lvl2/bibacord aes.

May 31, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #1,136 of 1,507
I compared it to the Wavelight. I think the May was out on loan to a few friends at the time. the Morpheus is a capable dac, but I felt it needed the aes connection to sound good. Wavelight has some colouration and is a bit more dynamic sounding. I also prefer the Rockna aesthetic/form factor. on a side note, between Morph and Dave, I'd choose Morpheus.

Jun 1, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,138 of 1,507
I've tried usb and aes into the Morph, and definitely AES over usb. via Singxer su-6. sablon/pink faun usb and SR lvl2/bibacord aes.
Thanks! Perhaps the Singxer is the key difference here or my cables. This is one of those fortunately few times for me where I've spent for a hoped improvement which didn't seem like much of one, so could also even be those individual differences in hearing, who knows. Like some people, even reviewers, saying they don't hear much or any difference between DACs when the difference can be from subtle to jarring for me. I was glad that was the case for me with the Morpheus. Sold my TT2 soon after. They were both amazing, but there was just clearly such a more pleasant body to the music with the Morpheus that the more time I spent comparing the more the TT2 seemed harsh. I guess I was hoping for a difference even half that obvious with the Matrix.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #1,139 of 1,507
Do you know if the Matrix X's i2s is compatible with the Morpheus?

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,140 of 1,507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back