Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Apr 5, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,083 of 1,507
Looks like the consensus here is that USB is no good on these, is that correct?
Get a good streamer or DDC and avoid USB. This DAC is magical for me with Gustard U18.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #1,084 of 1,507
Looks like the consensus here is that USB is no good on these, is that correct?
It seems to be though there have been comments on headphones.com that some didn't think there was much problem with it. I just got mine today (used, so burned in) and I can only use USB with my existing setup. I already like it better than my TT2 so I'm not feeling like I'm missing out by not investing more into one of the USB converter boxes to use AES. Maybe someday.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #1,085 of 1,507
It seems to be though there have been comments on headphones.com that some didn't think there was much problem with it. I just got mine today (used, so burned in) and I can only use USB with my existing setup. I already like it better than my TT2 so I'm not feeling like I'm missing out by not investing more into one of the USB converter boxes to use AES. Maybe someday.
USB in Morpheus is not as good as AES/SPDIF/I2S but that doesn’t mean USB input in isolation is bad. It is just ranked lower as compared to other input Morpheus has.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,086 of 1,507
waiting for your impression on Morpheus as compared to TT2 with regards to spatial cues, sound staging in particular.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,087 of 1,507
Heck yeah and welcome to the club! We have quite a bit of the same gear, and I know how good it sounds paired up.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,089 of 1,507
TT2 is fine DAC but quite overpriced now if you not using it as combo.
Agree. If you need it's specific use case there just aren't realy other options at the same SQ levels (maybe the new erco but I haven't heard that one yet) but if you need a pure dac there are better options for the price imo (even if you need small footprint).

That said, I will be currious to see the morph comparison since they should be voiced quite differently

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,090 of 1,507
waiting for your impression on Morpheus as compared to TT2 with regards to spatial cues, sound staging in particular.
I've only had a couple hours to compare so far, and quickly A/Bing using the Schiit Sys is allowing for pretty instantaneous comparing. So far the main differences which stand out are that the Morpheus is every bit as detailed, seems to have more body and bass presence, and doesn't have some of the harshness, sharpness, and shoutiness that TT2 can have, especially with female vocals (which is most of my music). Noticed some little sounds bouncing back and forth from the extreme left and right from a Bjork song just had a bit more presence and softness than on the TT2, making it just a more pleasant listen. It will be interesting see if I also prefer the Morpheus once I compare on the Pendant SE.

One of the concerns I have going USB to an S/PDIF & AES converter is on my mac only by using BitPerfect does it let the DAC totally take over and correctly adjust sampling rate and I don't know if that would still work with the converter. Otherwise it means setting AudioMidi settings at a fixed sampling rate which means either upconverting or downconverting files via MacOS which isn't ideal. I also don't want to spend the $450 that some of the recommended devices cost. If anyone has ideas as far as cheaper but perfectly adequate solutions, please suggest!

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,091 of 1,507
Agree. If you need it's specific use case there just aren't realy other options at the same SQ levels (maybe the new erco but I haven't heard that one yet) but if you need a pure dac there are better options for the price imo (even if you need small footprint)
Yeah, I use the TT2 to drive my iESL and don't currently have another option for that if I let the TT2 go. I also like the crossfeed option for older Beatles and Pink Floyd stereo recordings which can sound too separated and not cohesive without using it. And since I have 2 tube amps now I'll probably keep 1 DAC for each. It also has the advantage that I can use it as a SS amp directly, which does pretty well with planars and other lower impedance headphones.

That I'm so far preferring the Morpheus over the twice the price new TT2 is pretty impressive. I was concerned that since it's considered warmer than some DACs that maybe paired with the Glenn it would be too much and come at the expense of being detailed. Fortunately that's not the case at all!

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,092 of 1,507
I've only had a couple hours to compare so far, and quickly A/Bing using the Schiit Sys is allowing for pretty instantaneous comparing. So far the main differences which stand out are that the Morpheus is every bit as detailed, seems to have more body and bass presence, and doesn't have some of the harshness, sharpness, and shoutiness that TT2 can have, especially with female vocals (which is most of my music). Noticed some little sounds bouncing back and forth from the extreme left and right from a Bjork song just had a bit more presence and softness than on the TT2, making it just a more pleasant listen. It will be interesting see if I also prefer the Morpheus once I compare on the Pendant SE.

One of the concerns I have going USB to an S/PDIF & AES converter is on my mac only by using BitPerfect does it let the DAC totally take over and correctly adjust sampling rate and I don't know if that would still work with the converter. Otherwise it means setting AudioMidi settings at a fixed sampling rate which means either upconverting or downconverting files via MacOS which isn't ideal. I also don't want to spend the $450 that some of the recommended devices cost. If anyone has ideas as far as cheaper but perfectly adequate solutions, please suggest!
In case of DDC, your MacBook will connect USB in and then DDC will give coax/I2S out. It will be bitperfect, I mean if MacBook sends 16/44.1khz then DDC will transfer 16/44.1 to DAC via Coax.

Some notable DDC are
1. Singxer SU-6 - it has buffered I2S for Morpheus
2. Audio-gd D-20HE - power regeneration
3. Gustard U18 - I really like it

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,093 of 1,507
In case of DDC, your MacBook will connect USB in and then DDC will give coax/I2S out. It will be bitperfect, I mean if MacBook sends 16/44.1khz then DDC will transfer 16/44.1 to DAC via Coax.

Some notable DDC are
1. Singxer SU-6 - it has buffered I2S for Morpheus
2. Audio-gd D-20HE - power regeneration
3. Gustard U18 - I really like it
Don't forget the Gaia which will let you use the i2s on morph. You can also go berkely alpha USB or mutec USB if you just want to use AES

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #1,094 of 1,507
Don't forget the Gaia which will let you use the i2s on morph. You can also go berkely alpha USB or mutec USB if you just want to use AES
Ya Denafrips Hermes and Gaia are there but those are above $1500 I guess and hence I didn’t put in the list but both Hermes and Gaia are very good DDC and offer SPDIF and USB input

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #1,095 of 1,507
Anyone know if the Morpheus outputs via RCA AND XLR at the same time? Decided to sell the TT2 and get a Ragnarok 2 to drive the iESL I have. Basically got both of those for just a bit more than I can sell the TT2 for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back