Sonnet Digital Audio: New kid on the block, well.. not really!
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,066 of 1,507
I’ll still repeat what Cees had said. The best connection is AES/EBU and SPDIF.

In addition Steve Nugent from Empyrical Audio had told me that if you look inside you can see why that is the case.
AES on itself is very good input as it has noise rejection being balanced and out of good source with best in class clock there is no doubt it will perform as well as any other input unless the DAC has messed up clock recovery from data which no good DAC will do.

Mar 23, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #1,068 of 1,507
I think i have better SQ from my Hiface Evo 2 + Clock via coax than from Ambre via I2S.
Better the clock, better the imaging, soundstage and bass impact.
Which clock do you use btw?

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,071 of 1,507
Good stuff and looks like I have some room for improvement. I was under the impression using the Hermes with I2S was the best way to use the Morpheus and now it seems I was wrong and will have to start doing some research. . .

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #1,072 of 1,507
Good stuff and looks like I have some room for improvement. I was under the impression using the Hermes with I2S was the best way to use the Morpheus and now it seems I was wrong and will have to start doing some research. . .
You may not be wrong. It’s just a little different sound. Not better and not worse I would imagine. I believe the main point is that USB is the poorest of all of the connections.

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,073 of 1,507
You may not be wrong. It’s just a little different sound. Not better and not worse I would imagine. I believe the main point is that USB is the poorest of all of the connections.
Thanks for talking me off the ledge!

I am happy as heck with what I am hearing, but I am still going to research more on the subject and really appreciate all the info from members like you and others in this thread that know much more than I do.

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,074 of 1,507
☑️☑️☑️

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,076 of 1,507
Just curious, why would one choose AES over I2S or visa versa?
I2S with RJ-45 level signaling had been for a while, but didn't prove any better than AES. What you hear there is not an unusual. I2S has gained popularity with introduction of LVDS signaling using HDMI connector. As Morpheus use an old standard, stay with AES.

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #1,077 of 1,507
That's the problem with Head fi. People are happy with the sound out of their system, but then they listen to other people and then all of a sudden your system doesn't sound good anymore. The only thing that changed is your perception.
100% agreed!!!

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,078 of 1,507
I2S with RJ-45 level signaling had been for a while, but didn't prove any better than AES. What you hear there is not an unusual. I2S has gained popularity with introduction of LVDS signaling using HDMI connector. As Morpheus use an old standard, stay with AES.
Thanks for the info!

I am gonna just stick with I2S for now and go back to musical bliss.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #1,079 of 1,507
Most will probably agree Cables can make a diff and they are the easiest to try out and tweak things. Everyone I know has found Metrum/SDA components respond. Cees considers it has more to do with the output/input connections (diff devices etc.) and their design/implementations. I’ve had issues with HDMI plugs not getting a firm fix across various components. Not just them but it’s seen the birth of Cable clamps. RJ45, AES and BNC all feature locking plugs.

Seems logical that Ethernet to Source then ditto to Dac with the same type of cable might be a good idea. RJ45 has stood the test of time : https://www.commscope.com/blog/2014/technology-from-the-80s-for-tomorrows-data-centers/

HDMI like Coax RCA was never originally designed for Digital Audio (Data application - as with BNC/RJ45) but has become a defacto for the mass market, serving video/audio for convenience. In 2017 HiFiCritic checked several cables and reported none tested could produce “valid bit-for-bit accuracy - only the best (expensive) got close to the truth of the Source”.

As for Clocking - BNC connection seems to be preferred. As it happens there’s a mention from Cees on clocking : https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/denafrips-aether/2/

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,080 of 1,507
Actually none. I cancelled the Riveria AIC 10.
Well crap! Sad to see you go but into better things! I've spent a long while enjoying your posts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back