Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Jul 23, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #1,186 of 1,216
  Q: Will JitterBug improve the sound of my computer audio even when I’m not using a USB DAC?

A: Yes. For instance, if your computer is connected to your A/V system via Toslink or HDMI, and your music is stored on an external USB 2.0 or 3.0 hard drive, adding a JitterBug in between the external hard drive and computer will yield an overall improvement in sound.

Lol. The jitterbug looks like some audiophile snake oil. They never even dare say what it actually is. There's already a ferrite bead on most cables. 

One thing I'd like to add to this thread is that I've experienced some noise when connecting my microstreamer to powered monitors. It was that distinct computer whine, either the USB bus or the processor. I solved the issue by running 1/8 TRS to my monitor controller and then running 1/4 TRS that terminate to XLR on the other end that plugs into the monitors. It's absolutely silent now and sounds beautiful and perfect. 

I don't know what it is about using TRS to XLR but it worked a miracle for me. I tried using 1/8 TRS to RCA coax out of the controller and it was really awful and noisy, it passed along all the noise from the computer. 

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #1,187 of 1,216
With the stuff I have added in front of the mirostreamer already, the only thing I think it can help with is jitter/timing....jet black background as it is. I'll soon find out and the price is not into funny money for the little dongle, so it is just a case of trying it and seeing if anything goes up a level in SQ.

I think their comments above may be true, adding that noise suppression in front of an HDD would stop that audible dirt getting through the system.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #1,188 of 1,216
I felt with the HRT with the jitterbug filter... though it made the presentation fuller, it kind interrupted the flow of the music...like everything had more weight. I could not quite express that at first until I read the What HIFI  5 star review of it where they tried it with an expensive DAC.
There was no background noise improvement with my split power cables in use already.
I read that it will improve some DACs but may not work synergistically with others.

I need more time with it, but the differences are tiny, but noticeable but not immediately noticeable.

Jul 30, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #1,189 of 1,216
  I felt with the HRT with the jitterbug filter... though it made the presentation fuller, it kind interrupted the flow of the music...like everything had more weight. I could not quite express that at first until I read the What HIFI  5 star review of it where they tried it with an expensive DAC.
There was no background noise improvement with my split power cables in use already.
I read that it will improve some DACs but may not work synergistically with others.

I need more time with it, but the differences are tiny, but noticeable but not immediately noticeable.

I'm listening to that combo right now!!

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #1,190 of 1,216
I actually enjoyed the subtle differences using my Audioquest Jitterbug, w/ my Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB cable...
Al I detected was an even blacker background!!  So I recommend it, IF you got a Jitterbug already - if not - no need.

Now..

THIS COMBO'S BEEN A KNOCK-OUT:

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #1,191 of 1,216
  I actually enjoyed the subtle differences using my Audioquest Jitterbug, w/ my Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB cable...
Al I detected was an even blacker background!!  So I recommend it, IF you got a Jitterbug already - if not - no need.

Now..

THIS COMBO'S BEEN A KNOCK-OUT:

Ether C FLOW ?

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,193 of 1,216

Realizing how grand this combination is again!!
My Audeze LCD-XCs (haven't used these in a LONG time) via Moon Audio Silver Dragon - and the microStreamer!!
Using Amarra for TIDAL as source - WICKED

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #1,194 of 1,216
When Im connecting my Audio Technica AD1000x to my Microstreamer, I hear an annoying buzzing sound. I don't have that problem with my Samsung IEMs, but hear that same buzzing sound with my Ostry KC06a IEMs.

How can I make that sound dissapear?

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,195 of 1,216
When Im connecting my Audio Technica AD1000x to my Microstreamer, I hear an annoying buzzing sound. I don't have that problem with my Samsung IEMs, but hear that same buzzing sound with my Ostry KC06a IEMs.

How can I make that sound dissapear?

@Kevin_Halverson??

ANY idea how to address this issue??

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #1,196 of 1,216
AQ Jitterbug - did not work well with my microStreamer ultimately. Bright metallic edginess was added to upper end....only revealed with a very transparant amp chip (Sparkos discrete chips)
Next to try is the iPurifier2....

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #1,197 of 1,216
Just received iPurifier 2, and on a brief listen it was almost like the resolution/imaging was bumped up a level and more 3D-like presentation now. More time needed.
I think it will be a keeper, vs the Jitterbug.

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #1,198 of 1,216
Yes, for me anyway, after more time...iPurifier 2 brings microStreamer closer to mid-level DACs performance.
It is clear that USB source dirt/issues holds this little beauty of a DAC back showing what is capable of.

Subjective pluses :- blacker background, imaging/resolution, layering depth, timing, extended at the top and bottom frequencies.

iP2 does not make the treble sound so brittle/artificial as I found with the Jitterbug synergy.

@mikemercer if you can get a hold of one I recommend it over AQ JB.
Interested in how it would improve SQ presentation with your XCs...

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #1,200 of 1,216
Has anyone tried the iSilencer? What's the difference to the iPurifier?

Haha, it is getting confusing now they have added a further 2 USB devices. I think they have split the iP2 into 2 devices now if I remember. I'd really go for iP2 if you can.
I think there is a diagram on their site that compares all these USB devices.

You'll need a USM mini adapter for the connection to mS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back