Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
Oct 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #586 of 1,216
  I upgraded my microStreamer to 1.3. I have not had a chance to listen to is much, but...

I used a generic(cheap) CCK connect to my MS from my iPad 3 running iOS 6.1 and it works! It never worked before. In fact, that knock-off CCK never worked with anything before. Even when I connected a powered USB hub, that CCK never worked. 

Now it works with the MS without a hub too.

I confirmed it was the firmware upgrade because I have another MS with 1.2 firmware and it does not work with the same setup. I just swapped out the MS's and the 1.3 firmware works and the 1.2 does not.

Interesting...

I have an e-mail into Kevin at HRT and the local HRT distributor to see if they had info and the changes in the firmware. We'll see what they say.

Ummm... Nevermind. It ends up my other microStreamer that didn't work was on 1.1 firmware. Once I upgraded it to 1.2, then it also worked with my iPad.

Sorry for the confusion.

I did hear back from Kevin at HRT and he said, "1v3 on the microStreamer was done for some internal testing issues and would have no effect (other than a bit of a light show at boot up) on yours or any users' day to day operation." 

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #587 of 1,216
OK, it's been a couple of weeks with th MicroSteamer. Initially I was disappointed as the sound was a bit muddy, with a very narrow sound stage - my clip zip was easily better. Reading another thread here at HF I've upped the settings in Windows to 88,200 Hz and am using the SoX resampler in Foobar. Wow, the MicroSteamer really makes the SM64 sing! It brings even more clarity and detail to the 64s, while the strong bass & sub-bass of the 64 still impresses, and the sound stage is now even better than with the clip zip. It's hard to imagine another combo delivering better sound for the money (though I'm open to suggestions!). To my ears this is a better pairing than with the W4 or TF10.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #588 of 1,216
I bet the uS's aggressive lower treble helps make up for that 5k dip. I love a good response at 5k, there is so much instrumental detail there; I would probably return the SM64...

Quote:
OK, it's been a couple of weeks with th MicroSteamer. Initially I was disappointed as the sound was a bit muddy, with a very narrow sound stage - my clip zip was easily better. Reading another thread here at HF I've upped the settings in Windows to 88,200 Hz and am using the SoX resampler in Foobar. Wow, the MicroSteamer really makes the SM64 sing! It brings even more clarity and detail to the 64s, while the strong bass & sub-bass of the 64 still impresses, and the sound stage is now even better than with the clip zip. It's hard to imagine another combo delivering better sound for the money (though I'm open to suggestions!). To my ears this is a better pairing than with the W4 or TF10.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #589 of 1,216
A follow-up on my battery-eating woes with the uS.

I purchased the following USB OTG splitter cable:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251357159991

Connecting the spare connector to a USB power source has alleviated the battery drain. The uS is now powered by the external power source, leaving my S3's battery alone. A quick test confirmed it is indeed working as advertised.

Note that the cable doesn't charge the phone, but at least now I can listen for hours on end whilst at work without excessively draining my battery.

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #590 of 1,216
Spent some time on the weekend comparing the output from my uS (into Fiio E9) to my Clip+ and I just dont see the Clip+ as a better source. More convenient ? Sure, but if I'm plugging a DAC into the USB port on a computer that has largely gone out the window anyway.

It's worth mentioning that my IEMs are nowhere near the level of most on HF, but even through the AD900 I prefer the uS->E9 combination. What I really want to hear is this combo when Schiit get their act together sometime early next year:

uS -> Ragnarok -> Dynaudio 2/6
                           |
                           ->  HE-500

On paper, that's a budget solution that might just put a smile on this old guy's face. 
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #591 of 1,216
Nice! I use my uS with an Asgard and its a great combo. I will say that I tried the MS HD from HRT with the Asgard and it was substantially better, especially in terms of bass and soundstage; if I were buying for a strictly stationary desktop setup, I would opt for the MSII+ or MS HD (for balanced and 192 support with Mac; I believe they use the same DAC) if you can spare the $150 or so.
Spent some time on the weekend comparing the output from my uS (into Fiio E9) to my Clip+ and I just dont see the Clip+ as a better source. More convenient ? Sure, but if I'm plugging a DAC into the USB port on a computer that has largely gone out the window anyway.

It's worth mentioning that my IEMs are nowhere near the level of most on HF, but even through the AD900 I prefer the uS->E9 combination. What I really want to hear is this combo when Schiit get their act together sometime early next year:

uS -> Ragnarok -> Dynaudio 2/6
                           |
                           ->  HE-500

On paper, that's a budget solution that might just put a smile on this old guy's face.  :p

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #592 of 1,216

which player do you use? i had the problem that the MS Media player has to be set to a specific (re)sample frequency, but now i am using zoomplayer, and zoomplayer plays and outputs each file with the sample rate / bit depth it has.

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #593 of 1,216
Foobar (with the SoX resampler plug-in set to 44,100).

I'll look into zoomplayer. With zoomplayer changing rates/bits dynamically, what setting are you using on the advanced tab of the properties in Windows?

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #594 of 1,216
I have been listening to the uS fed by my ipad and Iphone via CCK over the past few days. Exclusively with my new, beloved k3003's. The sound, for such a ridiculously portable setup is pretty amazing. And I'm talking MOG 320kbs here. Not even using lossless. Very impressive. Now I just need a very short, very flexible USB to mini USB. Any suggestions?

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #597 of 1,216
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #599 of 1,216
Foobar (with the SoX resampler plug-in set to 44,100).

I'll look into zoomplayer. With zoomplayer changing rates/bits dynamically, what setting are you using on the advanced tab of the properties in Windows?

Care to instruct me on how to install this SoX plugin to Foobar? I'm a total noob, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back