Song that demonstrates AD700's Soundstage Over M50
Aug 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

biomedengineer

New Head-Fier
So I have both of these headphones, and bought the AD700 just for its open design and its large soundstage.  Problem is that I don't quite see a difference.  To me, I feel any song is being played in or just near my head with either phones.  Maybe I just can't tell, my recordings aren't great, etc.

So can you link to a song on Youtube or on iTunes that really demonstrate the AD700's soundstage over the M50?

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 14
something like an orchestral song would work well for this.

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 14
Vocaloids

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Believe it or not, the same thing happened to me when I upgrade from my PortaPros to my AD700.

I was initial disappointed at first, claiming they sounded too similar, or not much of an upgrade. But after time, I really started to notice and appretiate those differences.

Me, as a potential buyer of the AD900, likes headphones with a large soundstage. But apparently, I didn't really know what that sounded like, even though I own the AD700... until recently. So I decided to to some tests yesterday. Some AB tests. I collected my 9850 IEM's and my PortaPros to go head-to-head against the AD700. I wanted to see for myself what soundstage really was, and what it sounded like.

The best way I found to tell a difference between the two, is listen to the headphone with more soundstage first. For us both, that would be the AD700. Listen to nice, expansive segments of songs that you enjoy. Now, switch headphones and play that same segment at about the same volume? What do you notice? For me, there was a significant difference between my AD700 and all my other headphones. My AD700 felt like the music surrounded me, and enveloped me into the music. It was more of a "listener-to-music" interaction, which I thoroughly enjoyed. When I switched to my other headphones, especially my PortaPros, I instantly felt like the music was cramped together inside, or within close proximity, to my head. It almost felt claustrophobic. And I didn't feel the music as good.

Thus, after these tests, I have finally decided that I really love a nice, 3D and spatial sound. Which perfectly justifies me upgrading to the AD900.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 14
try peggy march "I will follow him".

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 14
This is what I use when I want to test a few aspects of my new gear, soundstage being one of them.

Try to get this in FLAC the youtube video doesn't do it justice.

Quote:
soundeffect said:

try peggy march "I will follow him".

confused.gif

Wow I thought I was going to be unique with this avatar. . .

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h564qjkJ-5I

Here's a demonstration of quality Binaural recordings and and explanation of it as a whole. Really love this video.

Oh and I found this picture when I was reading about the hypnosis induction of separate Binaural wavelengths with headphones. Very ironic I would find someone else in this topic on some thing that is kinda related to where I found that picture. I'd say this is sospecial of a coincidence.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 14
Anything orchestral should do the trick, or any song with a lot of instruments. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 14
Watch the movie "The Matrix" and switch back and forth between them. That has some really good scenes that will test this out.
I think now i'll never watch a movie again with a closed headphone, there was that much difference in the soundstage. Night and day difference.
Both the M50 and my precious Koss Pro DJ 100's were just plain pathetic compared to my HD-600. It almost made my home theater system look bad in terms of sound quality.
OK, not quite, but the experience was a lot different. I actually felt I could enjoy that movie a bit more just because of my headphones.

I wonder how the DT-880 compares to the HD-600 for movies. Probably not quite as good due to it being only semi-open.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 14
CRAP!
frown.gif
Now I have to search for another avatar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back