Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Oct 11, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,201 of 1,377
once I heard it there was no going back for me. I just hope they're good stewards of their product and continue to improve/refine it over time.

No going back for me either. Even now I'm only adding headphones collection that's already supported by them. Still waiting for my Sony MDR-Z1R to be supported though, for now I'm just enjoying it with my HD800S

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,202 of 1,377
I realize this is one of the oldest cliche's in the audio book, so forgive me, but to me Sonarwork's main function is to lift whatever veil exists in your setup. The better your equipment the less veil there is to lift, obviously, but when I A/B it there's ALWAYS at least some that it instantly lifts. I'm honestly baffled by anyone saying they don't like it. To each their own, of course, and I can understand someone resisting it on purely "keep it simple" grounds, but man, once I heard it there was no going back for me. I just hope they're good stewards of their product and continue to improve/refine it over time.
What headphones did you try?

Oct 12, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #1,203 of 1,377
What headphones did you try?

LCD2 (w/fazor), Elear, and Clear. It honestly may make the biggest difference with the LCDs, but I prefer the Clears and they are on my head most of the time. Elears will actually be up for sale very soon as they are now superfluous, may hang on to the LCDs for some variety. I also have some B & O's that are the best sounding $300 phones I've ever heard, but they're not supported and since they're no longer in production it's doubtful they ever will be. Would LOVE to hear what Sonarworks could do for them. Not even suggesting they could compete with the LCDs or the Clears, but they do offer a helluva lotta bang for the buck. My peripherals are an Mac mini running Pure Music -- Gumby(brand new) -- Mjolnir 2 w/ifi tubes. I use balanced cables everywhere I can. Have a Curious Cables USB en route, and intend to try Roon later on.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,204 of 1,377
I started a thread that no one responded to about looking for complementary headphone profiles for headphones that were not directly supported by Reference 4. I mentioned using the Marshall Monitor profile for the Martin Logan Mikros 70's, and I just found that my UE900S phones were greatly improved by using the Marshall Major II profile with a bit of treble lift.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,205 of 1,377
LCD2 (w/fazor), Elear, and Clear. It honestly may make the biggest difference with the LCDs, but I prefer the Clears and they are on my head most of the time. Elears will actually be up for sale very soon as they are now superfluous, may hang on to the LCDs for some variety. I also have some B & O's that are the best sounding $300 phones I've ever heard, but they're not supported and since they're no longer in production it's doubtful they ever will be. Would LOVE to hear what Sonarworks could do for them. Not even suggesting they could compete with the LCDs or the Clears, but they do offer a helluva lotta bang for the buck. My peripherals are an Mac mini running Pure Music -- Gumby(brand new) -- Mjolnir 2 w/ifi tubes. I use balanced cables everywhere I can. Have a Curious Cables USB en route, and intend to try Roon later on.
Nice setup! I can understand your Elear getting usurped. That's basically what happened to my HE-560 after I got the Clear, then LCD-X. In fact, I haven't been listening to my clears very much lately as my big ol' ears just fit so nicely with the X.

But I digress, I don't imagine I'll ever hear the comparison, but I'm curious as to what the end result of the LCD-2 vs LCD-X would be when both are corrected by Sonarworks. I'm finding my self more regularly switching off the Ref 4 correction with my X's, if only because after a long, rough day it can be nice to have that edge taken off. But bright eyed and bushy tailed with a fresh cup of coffee, the correction is on and the volume up. I'm also finding some particular tracks benefiting a lot more to my personal taste. I've found some less well recorded metal/rock is often better left veiled. More spacious, less distorted music, sounds so much nicer with those additional details.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,206 of 1,377
One point, everybody who is using this for audiophile purposes should be using linear phase. The other two settings are more for people doing live in studio tracking, who can't deal with a substantial delay. But if you're just listening to music, a playback delay isn't an issue at all. The linear phase setting takes more CPU but is MUCH higher fidelity.

How do I ensure Linear Phase is selected? Can't find it in Can Opener or Mid Side.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,207 of 1,377
No going back for me either. Even now I'm only adding headphones collection that's already supported by them. Still waiting for my Sony MDR-Z1R to be supported though, for now I'm just enjoying it with my HD800S

I had my Z1R's custom calibrated by sonarworks and really like the result. also like that I can adjust the bass and highs.
How do the Z1R's compare with the 800s?

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,208 of 1,377
I got my custom calibration done for the HD650 last week. I just want to comment on how much of a difference it makes compared to the average profile. You wouldn't think it would make much difference, but it honestly doesn't sound like I am listening to headphones after the calibration, the sound has suddenly jumped out of the headphones and made them disappear. It quite literally transforms the HD650s into a whole new headphone, that beats anything else I have tried the 3 years I've been in the hobby. I've honestly never heard sound so natural and realistic thanks to the flat frequency curve Sonarworks uses. I am eager to try other headphones now with the custom calibration. So, kudos to the team at Sonarworks, because my experience with the custom calibration service has been nothing but amazing!
How are your enjoying your HD650's after being calibrated by Sonarworks?

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #1,209 of 1,377
I had my Z1R's custom calibrated by sonarworks and really like the result. also like that I can adjust the bass and highs.
How do the Z1R's compare with the 800s?
Could you take a screenshot from the computer showing the correction applied? I was going to send mine in...but was happy enough using the simple itunes EQ. The 800 I use Sonarworks. (was never able to manually EQ to satisfaction).

The Z1R/HD800 combo has worked well for me. Definitely complimentary.
Bern

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #1,210 of 1,377
IMG_5145.jpg IMG_5146.jpg

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,213 of 1,377
Awesome. The fact that you may be adjusting the bass and highs, doesn't that negate the whole flat line which you sent to get customized and perfect? Or am I missing something? Maybe you're wanting slightly less bass frequency that the average line from True-Fi gave you? But if that's so, wouldn't you just bring it down a bit with the setting?

Would love to understand your thinking because it may help me better understand this approach.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,214 of 1,377
New truefi user here. Can't go back now. Still five free trial days left but I already paid the fee for the app. My HE560, DT880, HD600 and HD668B, sound amazing! Recomended.
Which headphone benefited the most in your opinion? I almost got rid of the HD800 before I tried SW ref 3 as a last resort. What a massive improvement.

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back