Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Jun 16, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #301 of 1,377
I highly recommend listening to Dr. Cheskey's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc while running this software. Using the HD650s on the flat reference curve, the realism Cheskey's recordings convey is startling. I bet it will work just as well with other binaural recordings too. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #302 of 1,377
I've been trying out SonarWorks for the past month or so and I'm impressed. I've used it with the HD800, DT990, and the M50x.

I heavily suspect that the SonarWorks house curve is very similar to the Harman speaker curve or the Olive-Welti headphone curve. The main differences is that I think SonarWorks emphasizes the sub-bass more and is a bit brighter in the upper mids and lower treble region.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #303 of 1,377
I have purchased the headphone plugin and have it working well on Windows 10 in Foobar.

I'd like to use the plugin on my MacBook also but I don't want to have to buy JRiver.  Does the plugin work with any of the free or relatively inexpensive music players for Mac?

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #304 of 1,377
  I have purchased the headphone plugin and have it working well on Windows 10 in Foobar.

I'd like to use the plugin on my MacBook also but I don't want to have to buy JRiver.  Does the plugin work with any of the free or relatively inexpensive music players for Mac?

You can use Audio Hijack to route all system audio through it, which means it works with absolutely everything. Spotify, Youtube - any music player.

There is a free alternative using Soundflower and another piece of software, but this app is *well* worth the little outlay.

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #305 of 1,377

You can use Audio Hijack to route all system audio through it, which means it works with absolutely everything. Spotify, Youtube - any music player.

There is a free alternative using Soundflower and another piece of software, but this app is *well* worth the little outlay.

Second that. This is a great way to also chain some high fidelity processing together. I have Tidal (hifi) > Sonarworks > EQ > OutOfYourHead.

It's a killer pathway. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #306 of 1,377

Second that. This is a great way to also chain some high fidelity processing together. I have Tidal (hifi) > Sonarworks > EQ > OutOfYourHead.

It's a killer pathway. 

Any reason you're not running all system audio through that chain?

I used to get the odd click/pop, but that seems to have vanished with the latest update. I've left the module in just in case :¬)

To all - make sure you have 'Avoid Clipping' enabled (Sonarworks plugin UI).

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #307 of 1,377

I used to get the odd click/pop, but that seems to have vanished with the latest update. I've left the module in just in case :¬)

To all - make sure you have clipping enabled.

To all - make sure you have clipping enabled.

Hi Yoga, great to see you here. I have this running though the 430HA and the end result is really astounding. I'm just running Tidal, as it's the one thing I need it for. I thought it would be more direct and cleaner pathway. Is it better to run all system audio?

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #308 of 1,377

Hi Yoga, great to see you here. I have this running though the 430HA and the end result is really astounding. I'm just running Tidal, as it's the one thing I need it for. I thought it would be more direct and cleaner pathway. Is it better to run all system audio? Also, where do you set "clipping enabled"?

Hey buddy :¬)

That makes sense, I'd do the same if it were for a single app - less to process. I run all system audio as this is my audio production machine; I'm always listening to music (through various apps and services). 

I did wonder if that was ambiguous. Avoid Clipping is an option on the Sonarworks plugin itself, on the right hand side, just below the volume slider. Make sure it's enabled

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #309 of 1,377
Since the software contains a preset for the B&K curve, I experimented a little with the custom curve option to get close to the Harman Reference Room Target (RR1). Here are the differences in 4 loudspeaker curves:

And here is what I did for the custom curve:

Compared to the B&K curve, this one has a 4 db bass boost from 100hz downward, and a 1-2 db reduction from 200hz to 4 Khz. Got to say, this makes my HD650s sound like huge tower speakers with a subwoofer. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #310 of 1,377
Thank you Yoga, for the recommendation.  I will try it in the next couple of days.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #312 of 1,377
Has anyone tried the Beyer DT880 with the software? I sold mine a while ago, im wondering if it will be worth it to get them again to use them with the software. Even with the calabration, my guess is the DT800 will have a little more treble resolution than the HD650.

Jul 11, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #313 of 1,377
Where can I get the HD800 profile?

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #315 of 1,377
Recently purchased the HD 800's which was on sale on Amazon for $1000.  Use the "flat to 20 hz" plug in for them which has a link somewhere in this thread. Send the JRive output directly to OOYH using the Magico Q7, Focal,and Revel plug ins mostly,and sending that output to the phones and a sub pac.  If you ask me this set up punches like George Foreman or Joe Frazier.  Just gobs and gobs of clean deep no hangover or boom bass that in no way obscures the suberb mid range and treble.  It's so sweet to lose those room nodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back