Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Jul 14, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #121 of 1,377
Why, the process is rather simple! However explaining it would be blatant advertising and MOT terms of use doesn't allow that. 

Pretty sure our webpage gives enough details.

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #123 of 1,377
Sonarworks is really easy to use for room correction. I used a cheap Dayton DMM-6 measurement mic and followed the instructions on screen. I'm just missing the ability to define my preferred Harman/JBL house curve:

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #125 of 1,377
Now we're getting somewhere. :)

I see you've dropped the midrange on the HD800 by about 3dB, so maybe dropping the treble by 6dB is where it should be.  It still sounds bass-heavy to me.  Can you show a waterfall plot?

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #126 of 1,377
  Now we're getting somewhere. :)

I see you've dropped the midrange on the HD800 by about 3dB, so maybe dropping the treble by 6dB is where it should be.  It still sounds bass-heavy to me.  Can you show a waterfall plot?

Sorry, all of the HD800 have been shipped out of the lab to their happy owners (believe me, I'd love to let my guys take extra measurements, but people need their cans back to churn out mixes!). We might be able to get a pair in the following weeks, if Sennheiser EU decides to let us know where to legally buy one.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #128 of 1,377
Ah! I might try that out when I smuggle some gear from the lab. So far my curve should look pretty similar to yours. I imagine that waterfall plots at bass frequencies won't be pretty due to stuff rattling in my room. These SVS-SB2000 really pack some punch, I was able to get usable output at 10Hz with calibration. Pretty sure the THD at these frequencies is pretty killer.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #129 of 1,377
Just dial in some tilt in the plug-in and you should be there!

I can try to approximate it but it's not quite close enough. No big deal as I can add in in externally. But perhaps if you added a parameter for the steepness of the bass boost one could get close? One guy reached a very similar curve by trial and error so I'm not alone in my preference:

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #130 of 1,377
I have to disagree that my Sonarworks custom calibrated HD800 is bass heavy. Neither the HD800 average profile sounds bass heavy to me.

They're perfectly neutral to my ears - I can compare with my reference KH120 studio monitors + dual KH810 subs in my professionally treated room and even with my trusty Sony MDR-7520. My studio friends are amazed too.

All three sound very similar - neutral. However, calibrated HD800's detail resolution is out of this world. My best studio monitor ever till HD800 calibration was 7520 (I even prefered them over my regular speakers). But after HD800 calibration, I have never heard something like that (and I have tried many many headphones before, even more expensive ones), and I keep using my calibrated HD800 more and more these days.

I dare to say that sending my HD800 to Sonarworks HQ for individual calibration seems like a best investment I have made to my studio in past 7 years.

These guys know for sure what they're doing. Anybody willing to give his/her HD800 a new fresh breath, I can't recommend Sonarworks enough!

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #131 of 1,377
  I have to disagree that my Sonarworks custom calibrated HD800 is bass heavy. Neither the HD800 average profile sounds bass heavy to me.

They're perfectly neutral to my ears - I can compare with my reference KH120 studio monitors + dual KH810 subs in my professionally treated room and even with my trusty Sony MDR-7520. My studio friends are amazed too.

All three sound very similar - neutral. However, calibrated HD800's detail resolution is out of this world. My best studio monitor ever till HD800 calibration was 7520 (I even prefered them over my regular speakers). But after HD800 calibration, I have never heard something like that (and I have tried many many headphones before, even more expensive ones), and I keep using my calibrated HD800 more and more these days.

I dare to say that sending my HD800 to Sonarworks HQ for individual calibration seems like a best investment I have made to my studio in past 7 years.

These guys know for sure what they're doing. Anybody willing to give his/her HD800 a new fresh breath, I can't recommend Sonarworks enough!

Cool. Since you said that after calibration, it sounds perfectly neutral to you, would you be willing to also use these EQ guides and share the EQ settings and differences in sound you hear between stock, Sonarworks EQ, and the EQ derived from the guides? (The guides are designed to get your headphones to as close to neutral as possible, based on frequency sweeps and your own hearing.)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #132 of 1,377

And can you post a graph of your studio's frequency response and waterfall plots?  Sorry, but I'm no longer interested in "testimonials."

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #133 of 1,377

Cool. Since you said that after calibration, it sounds perfectly neutral to you, would you be willing to also use these EQ guides and share the EQ settings and differences in sound you hear between stock, Sonarworks EQ, and the EQ derived from the guides? (The guides are designed to get your headphones to as close to neutral as possible, based on frequency sweeps and your own hearing.)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Those guides aren't really useful for creating a neutral responce for number of reasons. One being the equal loudness contour. Second, since they focus taming on sudden jumps in responce it wont do much for a warm of bright tilt which is more what you and mireque are discussing.

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #134 of 1,377
  Those guides aren't really useful for creating a neutral responce for number of reasons. One being the equal loudness contour. Second, since they focus taming on sudden jumps in responce it wont do much for a warm of bright tilt which is more what you and mireque are discussing.

What would you recommend as the best alternative?

Good point about warmer headphones. Boosting frequencies properly can be tricky. But how does this apply to the HD 800? It's not a warm headphone at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back