Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Jul 16, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #136 of 1,377
Sorry, only FR graph. Flat (+/-3dB) from cca 22Hz to 20kHz.

Dude, regarding my custom HD800 calibration and comparison above, trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Nice. Really, we're arguing about 3dB, which is within the margin for the "average" profile. I'm tempted to send mine in and see what comes back, but I really don't find them far enough away from neutral that I can't easily EQ as stated before.

Edit: I wonder if ear pad seal or "break-in" could account for this.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #138 of 1,377
  I have to disagree that my Sonarworks custom calibrated HD800 is bass heavy. Neither the HD800 average profile sounds bass heavy to me.

They're perfectly neutral to my ears - I can compare with my reference KH120 studio monitors + dual KH810 subs in my professionally treated room and even with my trusty Sony MDR-7520. My studio friends are amazed too.

All three sound very similar - neutral. However, calibrated HD800's detail resolution is out of this world. My best studio monitor ever till HD800 calibration was 7520 (I even prefered them over my regular speakers). But after HD800 calibration, I have never heard something like that (and I have tried many many headphones before, even more expensive ones), and I keep using my calibrated HD800 more and more these days.

I dare to say that sending my HD800 to Sonarworks HQ for individual calibration seems like a best investment I have made to my studio in past 7 years.

These guys know for sure what they're doing. Anybody willing to give his/her HD800 a new fresh breath, I can't recommend Sonarworks enough!

In light of Tyll's recent measurements of and comments about the Sony 7520's, this makes me doubt your judgement! :wink:

Actually, I love my 7520's and would agree that they compare well to studio monitors, and certainly they translate well by all accounts, although I don't do any mixing myself. I also own HD800's and they're a world apart sonically, so if the calibration is bringing them close to the 7520's in any way I can see why some would say that it's bass heavy.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #139 of 1,377

In light of Tyll's recent measurements of and comments about the Sony 7520's, this makes me doubt your judgement! :wink:

Actually, I love my 7520's and would agree that they compare well to studio monitors, and certainly they translate well by all accounts, although I don't do any mixing myself. I also own HD800's and they're a world apart sonically, so if the calibration is bringing them close to the 7520's in any way I can see why some would say that it's bass heavy.

I am 100% sure that Tyll made his judgements in a hurry, because the FR didn't look too "good" (flat?) to him. He should have devoted much more time to them, his pity. Just look at the curve and think again - how do you think we perceive, when summed / translated by our ears / brain, the 7520's midbass boost + high midrange cuts + highs boost? :) Things are little bit complicated here.

When I received my calibrated HD800, upon first listen it reminded me my 7520 and my treated room - neutral, very smooth. But 7520 also packs some punch (maybe too much for some people), that's for sure. However, it translates.

So I WOULDN'T CONCLUDE AND I HAVEN'T SAID THAT CALIBRATING HD800 WOULD BRING THEM CLOSE TO 7520 - just that they now share a similar sound signature - neutral, each to its own. Of course, HD800 wins in overall resolution.

7520 will stay a perfect studio monitor forever and I am not going to retire it. But calibrated HD800 works better for me now :)

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #140 of 1,377

I am 100% sure that Tyll made his judgements in a hurry, because the FR didn't look too "good" (flat?) to him. He should have devoted much more time to them, his pity. Just look at the curve and think again - how do you think we perceive, when summed / translated by our ears / brain, the 7520's midbass boost + high midrange cuts + highs boost? :) Things are little bit complicated here.

Oh, I totally agree with you, hence the :wink: !

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #142 of 1,377
7520 will stay a perfect studio monitor forever and I am not going to retire it. But calibrated HD800 works better for me now :)

Are you referring to the stock frequency response of the 7520? Because it has problems.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR7520.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalSpiritProfessional.pdf
http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fe/fea59a67_Focal_Spirit_Professional_Frequency_Response_HRTF.png

On that third link, notice how the Focal Spirit Professional doesn't have enough mids and treble to meet either compensation curve. Both headphones have a very large dip too. When you go back and forth comparing the compensation curves to the measurements of both headphones, it's obvious that they need EQ.

(For the record, I owned two Focal Spirit Professionals and like it a lot...but it's just a little too dark.)

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #143 of 1,377
  Are you referring to the stock frequency response of the 7520? Because it has problems.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR7520.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalSpiritProfessional.pdf
http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fe/fea59a67_Focal_Spirit_Professional_Frequency_Response_HRTF.png

On that third link, notice how the Focal Spirit Professional doesn't have enough mids and treble to meet either compensation curve. Both headphones have a very large dip too. When you go back and forth comparing the compensation curves to the measurements of both headphones, it's obvious that they need EQ.

(For the record, I owned two Focal Spirit Professionals and like it a lot...but it's just a little too dark.)

Yes, I was talking about stock 7520. Read my above posts how the stock 7520 is perceived. It's not black and white just by reading at the frequency response graphs. One cannot judge by only looking at the FR and making final decisions from it.

Okay, let's keep this thread about Sonarworks Headphone calibration.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #144 of 1,377
Headphone calibration is all about frequency response graphs. What else are we calibrating? Without seeing the target curve, and seeing how subjective perceptions are all over the map, it's hard to see how this program will end arguments about sound forever, as advertised. :p

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #146 of 1,377
Sony hasn't made a good headphone since the MDR-V6.
wink.gif

Okay, I'll stop now...

I'm actually getting one tomorrow! Used to own the MDR-7506. I posted earlier in this thread about how the Sonarworks software dramatically improved the sound, especially in terms of taming the bright and harsh treble. People tell me the MDR-V6 is more accurate and balanced, with better bass too. Guess I'll find out when it arrives.

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #147 of 1,377
I'm actually getting one tomorrow! Used to own the MDR-7506. I posted earlier in this thread about how the Sonarworks software dramatically improved the sound, especially in terms of taming the bright and harsh treble. People tell me the MDR-V6 is more accurate and balanced, with better bass too. Guess I'll find out when it arrives.

The V6's have been in production for thirty years, so they must have something going for them. I don't know why Sony refuses to make an updated model with the same frequency response.

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #148 of 1,377
  Yes, I was talking about stock 7520. Read my above posts how the stock 7520 is perceived. It's not black and white just by reading at the frequency response graphs. One cannot judge by only looking at the FR and making final decisions from it.

Okay, let's keep this thread about Sonarworks Headphone calibration.

Yes, this thread is about Sonarworks calibration, not about the Sony 7520, but it is fundamentally about FR and what is perceived to be 'correct' or natural. I'm still not sure whether I'm surprised, or in fact, not surprised, that until this graph http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDR7520.pdf appeared on the net the 7520 received almost universal praise - just check out the 7520 thread on here (if anyone needs reminding!), not to mention the threads on Gearslutz praising it as a mixing tool due to how well mixes done on it translate to speakers.

BUT, as soon as a 'bad' looking FR graph is published, suddenly people (who might otherwise think it fantastic if they'ed heard it/mixed with it, first) won't go near it with a barge pole. The 7520 is a good example , if one was needed, of the fact that listening should be done with one's ears, not eyes.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #149 of 1,377
My theory for the MDR 7520 getting so much praise is that, flaws aside, it manages a good balance between upper mid and bass ranges. Getting that right is crucial and any listener responds immediately to it, to the point that other ranges can be way off while still sounding acceptable.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #150 of 1,377

I'm still wondering what your ideal alternatives for EQ are, since you think the Sonarworks software and EQ guides aren't good enough.

Previous quotes included, for reference:

Those guides aren't really useful for creating a neutral responce for number of reasons. One being the equal loudness contour. Second, since they focus taming on sudden jumps in responce it wont do much for a warm of bright tilt which is more what you and mireque are discussing.

What would you recommend as the best alternative?

Good point about warmer headphones. Boosting frequencies properly can be tricky. But how does this apply to the HD 800? It's not a warm headphone at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back