Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Aug 31, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,142 of 1,377
I tried True-fi and like it but will get Ref 4 HP instead. Someday upgrade to the full suite for my monitors/room EQ.

This just makes more sense, and Ref 4 will work better than True-fi in every way.
Likewise. Got the Ref 4 trial working last night and definitely feel that the additional controls are worth it.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,143 of 1,377
Likewise. Got the Ref 4 trial working last night and definitely feel that the additional controls are worth it.

Thanks, I did the trial of True-fi I thought it worked well, the cheaper the Cans I used the less effective it was.
LCD X, HD 6xx, and 280 pro's, go fiqure :)

Also I am pretty sure Ref 4 has full ASIO driver support now, something you exclusively needed DAW software and plugins for with other solutions. It will also be updated more often, being a pro tool and all. So I'm just going to buy now.

+ 25% off till 9/2 PENSADOSPLACE

Thanks @Roll for that :thumbsup:

I have to say I found it worked ok with the 6xx, but not without a bunch of tweaking/listening.
More adjustments will be welcome.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,144 of 1,377
Ref 4 is valuable not only for its additional flexibility and control but really for opening the door to custom calibrations for both headphones and speakers. If you are just using headphones and don't care that much about having a personal and true +-0.9db correction but are happy +-3db then True-fi is for you. I don't think $15 should be the deciding factor in the purchase but the promise of a much better correction and control and to also work with speakers.

I posted my calibration curve hoping you might find it a better correction then the average or anything on Inter-fi which I always found to have inaccurate curves in general. Maybe it is the head model or measurement equipment they use.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #1,145 of 1,377
There is no personal calibration/correction. The only scale is in essence for avoiding distortion, the profiles are automatic and no control or specific detail is provided for them. This is fundamental and it's shocking to read a misrepresentation like that. Both True-Fi and Reference 4 are extremely basic. The meat is in the applied profile. Unless I'm missing something about the plugin. I would've gotten Reference 4 myself precisely because it would've been a few tens of dollars more except after trying it I saw no point whatsoever. This is for headphones only.

Your calibration curve is misleading. You sent in your headphones to be measured and for a personal profile to be created, correct? What are you talking about? As far as I'm aware that has nothing to do with Reference 4.

Or did you order the Reference 4 + HD 650 package? That's paying for the headphone as well, but because it comes from Sonarworks you get the personal headphone-dependent profile. This is not a Reference 4 vs True-Fi matter. Both Reference 4 and True-Fi should be using the same average profiles, and implying that such profiles are less precise (e.g. 0.9 db vs 3 db) sounds terribly uninformed to me. What you get with personal calibration is the same type of profile the product provides except accurate for your individual headphone, perhaps per driver too. Sure there's value there, but also a much higher price involving not having your headphone or buying a particular package. Such personal profiles should work with True-Fi as well.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #1,146 of 1,377
Thanks, I did the trial of True-fi I thought it worked well, the cheaper the Cans I used the less effective it was.
LCD X, HD 6xx, and 280 pro's, go fiqure :)

Also I am pretty sure Ref 4 has full ASIO driver support now, something you exclusively needed DAW software and plugins for with other solutions. It will also be updated more often, being a pro tool and all. So I'm just going to buy now.

+ 25% off till 9/2 PENSADOSPLACE

Thanks @Roll for that :thumbsup:

I have to say I found it worked ok with the 6xx, but not without a bunch of tweaking/listening.
More adjustments will be welcome.
Do you perhaps now how I can get the trial to work with ASIO in foobar2000?

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #1,147 of 1,377
Do you perhaps now how I can get the trial to work with ASIO in foobar2000?

Well this is what I read somewhere, now I'm thinking I'll need to dive in deep to make this work.

If/when I do I'll post more.

I think this will help fix many of these problems I have had regarding the issue of getting AISO to work with my c-media based audio card.
It should work to integrate Ref 4 Systemwide into the chain.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,148 of 1,377
Well this is what I read somewhere, now I'm thinking I'll need to dive in deep to make this work.

If/when I do I'll post more.

I think this will help fix many of these problems I have had regarding the issue of getting AISO to work with my c-media based audio card.
It should work to integrate Ref 4 Systemwide into the chain.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
I've tried those programs before to try to get ASIO systemwide (without Sonarworks, just the ASIO plugin from my Chord Mojo), but it didn't work at all

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,149 of 1,377
I'm probably going to need a good DAW program, fortunately for me I will need one anyway so planning on it.
For now I'm stuck with Windows and switching bit rates manually :-/

I'm sure they did work at one time but MS probably borked them with updates.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,150 of 1,377
So I just tried out the Ref 4 trial for my HD 6xx. It definitely improves things for me with the Wet/Dryness button set to 40 as compared to True-Fi.

However, I noticed that the HD 600 average and subpac profiles actually have LESS bass and MORE highs than the HD 650 profile. The HD 600 is supposed to be less bassier and brighter than the HD 650, so why is the HD 600 profile less bassy and brighter than the HD 650 one?

But still I have noticed 1 thing that's kinda strange. When I have Sonarworks running in the task bar, but have selected my Chord Mojo as the standard device, I actually get slightly cleaner sound on browser audio than with Sonarworks closed from the task bar...

Is Sonarworks perhaps using improved audio plug-ins as compared to the ones which came with Windows? So even though SonarWorks is just running in the taskbar background and is not doing any correction, the better plug-ins give it a cleaner audio? Or am I imagining things?

I had the same experience like that with True-fi running in the taskbar btw (again not doing any correction to my device, just being active in the taskbar applications)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,151 of 1,377
:thinking:

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #1,152 of 1,377
There is no personal calibration/correction. The only scale is in essence for avoiding distortion, the profiles are automatic and no control or specific detail is provided for them. This is fundamental and it's shocking to read a misrepresentation like that. Both True-Fi and Reference 4 are extremely basic. The meat is in the applied profile. Unless I'm missing something about the plugin. I would've gotten Reference 4 myself precisely because it would've been a few tens of dollars more except after trying it I saw no point whatsoever. This is for headphones only.

Your calibration curve is misleading. You sent in your headphones to be measured and for a personal profile to be created, correct? What are you talking about? As far as I'm aware that has nothing to do with Reference 4.

Or did you order the Reference 4 + HD 650 package? That's paying for the headphone as well, but because it comes from Sonarworks you get the personal headphone-dependent profile. This is not a Reference 4 vs True-Fi matter. Both Reference 4 and True-Fi should be using the same average profiles, and implying that such profiles are less precise (e.g. 0.9 db vs 3 db) sounds terribly uninformed to me. What you get with personal calibration is the same type of profile the product provides except accurate for your individual headphone, perhaps per driver too. Sure there's value there, but also a much higher price involving not having your headphone or buying a particular package. Such personal profiles should work with True-Fi as well.

I didn't post it for you to try plugging into Ref4 or True-Fi so perhaps that's your confusion... the idea was for you to try setting a similar curve with a quality parametric or multi-band EQ and see if it is a better correction then what their average is for the 650s. That's all it was for a correction curve reference that at least for me does a great job correcting the 650s which to be honest don't really need much correction if any from stock. They are one of the flattest headphones out there.

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #1,154 of 1,377
So I just tried out the Ref 4 trial for my HD 6xx. It definitely improves things for me with the Wet/Dryness button set to 40 as compared to True-Fi.

However, I noticed that the HD 600 average and subpac profiles actually have LESS bass and MORE highs than the HD 650 profile. The HD 600 is supposed to be less bassier and brighter than the HD 650, so why is the HD 600 profile less bassy and brighter than the HD 650 one?

But still I have noticed 1 thing that's kinda strange. When I have Sonarworks running in the task bar, but have selected my Chord Mojo as the standard device, I actually get slightly cleaner sound on browser audio than with Sonarworks closed from the task bar...

Is Sonarworks perhaps using improved audio plug-ins as compared to the ones which came with Windows? So even though SonarWorks is just running in the taskbar background and is not doing any correction, the better plug-ins give it a cleaner audio? Or am I imagining things?

I had the same experience like that with True-fi running in the taskbar btw (again not doing any correction to my device, just being active in the taskbar applications)

As far as i'm aware True-Fi is a systemwide correction similar to how Ref4 has a 'systemwide' companion app. I think they recognized setting up for correction systemwide was a bit difficult to do mostly because their licensing model was bad but also because it involved a few moving parts the user self-manages under Ref4 and that most people just want it all in one app to work without the fuss. I have never used True-Fi so I could be wrong about that though.

In general I highly recommend Ref4 to anyone interested in good sound across both windows and mac. It is one of the best investments in audio I have ever made and to have their top of the line tools for that just makes sense for any audiophiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back