Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Aug 30, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #1,126 of 1,377
https://www.sonarworks.com/reference/tutorials/studio-edition-manual

Enable Bass Boost and Tilt
Pg 33

Predefined Target Curves

Dry / wet control:
The Dry / Wet control lets you adjust the level of correction applied to the audio signal.Normally this should be set to 100% wet to ensure that the calibration is accurate. If you feelthat the correction is too drastic for your needs, tweak this to your liking, but keep in mind that the calibration will get increasingly less accurate. Note that this is not a typical Dry / Wetmixer - the knob controls the “depth” of the correction. The core signal is always Wet, but thecorrection amount can be dynamically adjusted.35
Pg 36

Zero Latency

Erm, I have tried both Reference 4 and True-Fi, not to mention I even looked at that. Have you not used these apps before? I.e. can you do more than fetch a link and list a few things? What did you find of significance in those features?

Might as well comment myself. Bass Boost is present in True-Fi and I think it's the same. The tilting is barbaric and gimmicky- you literally just tilt the whole frequency response around a point. The explanation for dry/wet states what it does- it reduces the effect of the equalization, nothing more. I played with the like two latency related options and found little difference among them. I highly doubt you'll find a solution to a general significant problem there. There are like two target curves if memory serves me right.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #1,127 of 1,377
here is my custom profile maybe it works well for you via multi-band eq?

This is something you pay like $150 extra for and send away your headphones for some time. InnerFidelity gives you a frequency response graph to use with manual equalizers. The whole point of Sonarworks is automatic application of a good correction. The average HD 650 correction might be pretty bad and should be double-checked. I don't think this is the first time I encounter a complaint here and I personally found the profile to be very poor.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #1,128 of 1,377
What am I missing?

U are not missing much. I am just not content.

I am a fool. I do not use the apps that much. I was 'down' and 'self-absorbed' was why I spend money...and I want others too

dry/wet - I actually used her. Hate the dial adjustment. I condition my mind that I need to get mad at the dial than harm my headphones - use with Sennheiser HD 700 and Shure 1840

barbaric and gimmicky - used mainly for movies...and I am a 'tool' using her with the AKG K1000

latency - useful when I am on my older Lenovo laptop.

two target curves - u have good memory.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #1,129 of 1,377
I'm just being helpful, your humor is off-base and not having an actual retort to criticism is telling. Reference 4 appears to be poor value- everyone is free and encouraged to try it of course but don't have high expectations for utility over True-Fi. I'm genuinely curious what people find worthwhile about it.

Given you're defending the tilt feature, mind posting a screenshot of how you use it so that everyone can see what it is? I don't understand your dry/wet comment. Avoid clipping in True-Fi and the corresponding scale in Reference 4 address distortion, not dry/wet. Dry/wet just reduces the effect of the equalization gradually, which that link warns you about. Or are you trying to be funny in a way that's flying over my head? So you use it not to be mad at the headphones... maybe you should be directing your anger at the limited scope of the feature instead rather than the headphones? It's literally an if this is too much of a change for you let's dial it down. If you dislike a profile this won't change that, funny man. Nothing would, that's an illustration of the issue. If a profile is poor you're given very little to effectively alter it - you're given very little to do much of anything noteworthy exclusive to Reference 4 - aside from paying an extra $150 and sending your headphones off. Ironically True-Fi enables you to boost the high end, but not lower it, whereas Reference 4 forces you to change the entire frequency response range if you'd like to change the high end. And do I or do I not have good memory about the target curves? I tried the other target curve, I forgot what it sounded like. Suffice it to say it didn't justify spending more money.

Funny thing is I've had an extremely positive experience with Sonarworks and have basically promoted this product in addition to purchasing it and leaving a review, but that doesn't mean I just shut my brain off.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,130 of 1,377
What more control do you think Reference 4 will give you? I don't recall a single additional feature you'd find particularly useful.

It sounds better, so there's that.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,132 of 1,377
I don't think it's worth it to pay €70 at all for True-fi, given how the trial HD 650 profile sounded to me. With that price, I'd rather add some cash and have them internally modded properly.

So I just wanna try out the free trial of Ref 4, just to see for myself how it is. But as a user previously has said, the trial file is only 59 bytes, and so it can't get installed…

I'm wondering why this is, and when it'll get fixed?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,133 of 1,377
It has to be a bug. I've used the Reference 4 trial. It's unlucky the HD650 is the headphone you're trying Sonarworks with. No idea how likely a change to that profile or redoing it is but I completely agree with you. I use True-Fi with an LCD-X and there the value is off the charts, which says something about headphones, DACs, amps, and cables.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,134 of 1,377
The headphone version of Reference 4 is currently ~$15 more than True-Fi. Hence, I'm interested in trialing Reference 4 in order to see if the additional controls would be worth it, to me.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,135 of 1,377
Which is exactly what I did, in addition to reading the available information. :wink: One good thing about Sonarworks are the exceptionally painless trials. A big reason why people end up making a purchase.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,136 of 1,377
The Wet/Dry alone might be worth it.

With True-Fi I loved what it did to the LCD-X, but felt that the change could be a bit too mid forward, so bringing that back a bit might just do the trick. I also liked the change it made with the Clears, albeit to a far lesser extent and I could happily live with the default Clear tuning.

On the flip side, I wasn't a fan at all of what it sounded like through other cans I tried. HE-560, HD6xx, DT 770... eek. I preferred their individual tunings for what they were.

It's definitely a must have for the LCD-X though. To my amateur ears, there's no real negative side effects and brings out a whole bunch more detail that the X's drivers are clearly capable of.

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,137 of 1,377
I thought the HD800S had a helpful profile too. The HE-400i a different story. It's starting to look like Sonarworks has an issue with less expensive headphones, which is curious. Not surprised the Clears would be a wash as their sound is very direct and straightforward and they do indeed seem tonally fine.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,138 of 1,377
The EQ profiles are identical hence they sound exactly the same.

That may well be the case today but when I first tried True-Fi (when it first launched) there was a world of difference between it's sound and that of Ref 4. In fact Ref 3 - which I was using up to that point - was also better with my HD 650 than True-Fi. True-Fi was thin, as though they'd turned up the Ref 3 plug-in to 11. I hated it. So much so I was reticent to continue upgrading to Ref 4 but I bit the bullet & never looked back.

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,139 of 1,377
I tried True-fi and like it but will get Ref 4 HP instead. Someday upgrade to the full suite for my monitors/room EQ.

This just makes more sense, and Ref 4 will work better than True-fi in every way.

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #1,140 of 1,377
That may well be the case today but when I first tried True-Fi (when it first launched) there was a world of difference between it's sound and that of Ref 4. In fact Ref 3 - which I was using up to that point - was also better with my HD 650 than True-Fi. True-Fi was thin, as though they'd turned up the Ref 3 plug-in to 11. I hated it. So much so I was reticent to continue upgrading to Ref 4 but I bit the bullet & never looked back.

That sounds alarming. I didn't read anywhere that the profiles are different and having tried both apps I didn't hear a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back