Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Aug 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #169 of 1,377

Yup! The plug-in doesn't make your mixes better, your decisions improve them!

What is the best level to set the output meter at while mixing? It's default setting is -15db which lowers the volume of the output signal a lot, but why exactly when the input signal isn't coming in hot (over 0 db)? 
I see you can't go higher than -6db when avoid clipping is on?

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #173 of 1,377
This is fantastic software.

I've been trying to physically mod my HD800 following the Anax, Tyll route. However, as Stefanarts notes, this may not be the best strategy. I've found it too blunt a method, which dampens frequencies I want as well as those I don't. So, as with Bob Katz, I'm a believer in the surgical precision of EQs to fix the spectral issues of headphones. However, even with a bunch of professional grade EQs, I could not manually dial in the level of sophistication in the curves that Sonarworks achieves. 

Don't know why no one else has brought this approach to market before. Just brilliant!

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #175 of 1,377
subbing to try this out tonight...I've got HE-400S, can I use a FR graph to help calibrate this myself?

Or can I use my USB mic? or will a non-profiled headphone really only work if you send it in to get analyzed?

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #177 of 1,377
Could someone please explain what exactly the "wet/dry" knob does?

Also, should this VST go at the beginning or end of my DSP chain?

It changes the magnitude in which the correction is applied. And our plug-in should always be the last in any chain - think of it as a speaker crossover.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #178 of 1,377
I'm finding this to be a really great tool used together with Audio Hijack so that it is applied to everything coming out of the computer.  Does anyone know how to post a review of the Software on this site?  I can't seem to find a page for it that might allow me to post the review.  It doesn't technically fit in any of the categories available for Head Gear, I suppose, though it generally belongs in Computer Audio.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #179 of 1,377
Since this VST is supposed to be used at the end of the DSP chain, is there any sense in using it with Darin Fong's OOYH? It's a surround sound virtualization for headphones which uses a virtual device to implement itself, not a VST, so the effects must be last in the chain.

Put more simply, will applying a DSP like OOYH (which does affect EQ) on top of Sonarworks undo the refinements?

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #180 of 1,377
Since this VST is supposed to be used at the end of the DSP chain, is there any sense in using it with Darin Fong's OOYH? It's a surround sound virtualization for headphones which uses a virtual device to implement itself, not a VST, so the effects must be last in the chain.

Put more simply, will applying a DSP like OOYH (which does affect EQ) on top of Sonarworks undo the refinements?

I've already posted this on the OOYH thread, but Sonarworks and OOYH is a thing of beauty. You can setup OOYH at the end of the chain through AudioHijack, but in this arrangement OOYH should go at the end. It gets pretty complex, but generally gain-based DSP (compression, EQ) should precede time-based (delay and reverb) effects. OOYH can be thought of as the latter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back