Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Oct 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #181 of 1,377
I've already posted this on the OOYH thread, but Sonarworks and OOYH is a thing of beauty. You can setup OOYH at the end of the chain through AudioHijack, but in this arrangement OOYH should go at the end. It gets pretty complex, but generally gain-based DSP (compression, EQ) should precede time-based (delay and reverb) effects. OOYH can be thought of as the latter. 
Thanks! I've been enjoying the combination but wanted to dispel the nagging uncertainty that it's in my head--no pun intended :wink:

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #182 of 1,377
Fyi:

Something  I noticed is that with Sonarworks reference vst, comparing to the HD650 the Focals soundwise change more. The Focals almost sound like a different headphone with sonarworks compared to the hd650 which only gets some more bass extension tbh. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #184 of 1,377
When using this with Dolby Headphone, should SonarWorks be before or after DH in the chain?

I'd say before, I think you'd get some weird results if you put a frequency changing plugin after an surround sound changing plugin. You want to make surround sound out of the changed sound not change the sound of the surround sound. My 2 cents though, i might be wrong :)

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #185 of 1,377
  Fyi:

Something  I noticed is that with Sonarworks reference vst, comparing to the HD650 the Focals soundwise change more. The Focals almost sound like a different headphone with sonarworks compared to the hd650 which only gets some more bass extension tbh. 

Ha! What does that tell you! 
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #186 of 1,377
  I'd say before, I think you'd get some weird results if you put a frequency changing plugin after an surround sound changing plugin. You want to make surround sound out of the changed sound not change the sound of the surround sound. My 2 cents though, i might be wrong :)

I agree exactly.

The opposing argument is that, in this instance, you are not correcting the EQ for the source. In other words the source "signal" coming from your audio file/player software is fine. The EQ you're compensating for is at the end of the chain, that is, your headphone/speakers. This is why Sonarworks should generally be at the end of the DSP chain before the headphone/speakers. 

However, the exception is any room/surround emulation effects. These should do the end processing. Whatever, the theoretical principles, Syliano is right. Putting Sonarworks after surround software yields "weird results."

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #187 of 1,377
Ha! What does that tell you! :wink:

I'm almost afraid to say it, but the hd650 is flatter than the focals? I prefer them over the focals anyway, I just love the more spacious sound of the 650:joy: I've heard people say the hd650 will make anything sound good, I beg to differ. I've heard some very bad sounding recordings, which I didn't think where that bad, while going to my music library. I kind of prefer the hd650 without the sonarworks plugin for music listening purposes. I can imagine the extra bass extension comes in handy when producing and mixing, but thats about it.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #188 of 1,377
I'm almost afraid to say it, but the hd650 is flatter than the focals?

Or closer to the 'correct' curve that the Sonarworks calibration achieves, at least.

In other words, even though they are not flat they give a (uncorrected) sound which is closer to reality (or Sonarworks version of realty, or what is deemed to be 'correct') than some others which may be flatter.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #190 of 1,377
I agree exactly.

The opposing argument is that, in this instance, you are not correcting the EQ for the source. In other words the source "signal" coming from your audio file/player software is fine. The EQ you're compensating for is at the end of the chain, that is, your headphone/speakers. This is why Sonarworks should generally be at the end of the DSP chain before the headphone/speakers. 

However, the exception is any room/surround emulation effects. These should do the end processing. Whatever, the theoretical principles, Syliano is right. Putting Sonarworks after surround software yields "weird results."
Thanks very much, guys :)

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #191 of 1,377
The HD650/600 are one the most neutral cans we've measured. They need some help at the low end and some straightening up top, but other than that... Tonality wise there isn't much that comes close.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #194 of 1,377

It's what many have thought for years. And the HD800's?

Sorry to say, but in their stock form they are anything but neutral. Mainly due to the famous treble peak. These headphone have very good calibration potential, but I find them borderline unlistenable stock. Pretty sure that many people spend half their audiophile life looking for coloured gear to calm the treble down. I'd rather slap on one of the dampening ring mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back