Somic MH489 -- Sony XB700 ripoffs?
May 19, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #17 of 50
Good luck with such a approach... 
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #18 of 50
I just ordered a Somic MH489 on Aliexpress, it was 10% off and therefore only $57.67 shipped. I love the look and see prices of $80 till $130 on other sales sites, so I was curious about it. Hell, can 't go wrong with such a price
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #19 of 50
I just ordered a Somic MH489 on Aliexpress, it was 10% off and therefore only $57.67 shipped. I love the look and see prices of $80 till $130 on other sales sites, so I was curious about it. Hell, can 't go wrong with such a price :tongue_smile:

Not unless if it sounds really crap... Lol ;p

Aug 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #20 of 50
hey,
       i just got the somic efi 82mt-and i kove them.i also went through ali express.i live in florida and they took a month to get here.worth the wait.i paid 48 usd -theysound like my 750 ultrasone.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #22 of 50

Understandable, especially the size issue. How does the sound quality/accuracy/signature compare with the 500s? Is it an obvious ripoff regarding both its similar style and a blatantly obvious quality gap, or is it a presentable pair of cans?

I ordered them last week, and they should be in tomorrow! HD330s and 681EVO.

Sorry to not reply you earlier, but the comfort was so terrible that i did not even bother to compare in detail.

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #24 of 50
First impression of my Somic MH489:

When I unboxed it and put it on, the first I heard it I thought... "Hmm, not really" The bass seemed to be in an odd place... That was on my phone. After going through some songs I started to adapt.

+
Loud enough on mobile devices.
Bass driven but not overwelming.
Mids and treble are clear and not recessed.

-
Sturdy, stiff cord.
Uncarefully boxed, what made the rubber on the headband bent away. Looks stupid.
Goofy big earpads.

Soundwise I'm satisfied about this headphones. It's fun and great to listen to music with in general. Everything sounds good, take TOOL for example. This band has a terrific bassplayer and the Somic MH489 makes his bass sound sooo sweet ! But without pushing the rest to the background. Then I tried some The National. Popmusic with a completely different production. Sounded weird because of the big bass sound of the Somic.
And then I switched to Nero - Promises and Skrillex stuff... damn ! This is what this MH489 is made for. You can "feel" the bass and still it's not over the top.

Ultimately I listened to the tracks of my own band, which I mixed myself and I am truly amazed about the overall sound quality of this "bass driven" headphone. My bassguitar sounds big and natural, bassdrums are thick and punchy and meanwhile guitars and vocals get the place they deserve in the mix.

I'm happy
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:
First impression of my Somic MH489:

When I unboxed it and put it on, the first I heard it I thought... "Hmm, not really" The bass seemed to be in an odd place... That was on my phone. After going through some songs I started to adapt.

+
Loud enough on mobile devices.
Bass driven but not overwelming.
Mids and treble are clear and not recessed.

-
Sturdy, stiff cord.
Uncarefully boxed, what made the rubber on the headband bent away. Looks stupid.
Goofy big earpads.

Soundwise I'm satisfied about this headphones. It's fun and great to listen to music in general. Everything sounds good, take TOOL for example. This band has a terrific bassplayer and the Somic MH489 makes his bass sound sooo sweet ! But without pushing the rest to the background. Then I tried some The National. Popmusic with a completely different production. Sounded weird because of the big bass sound of the Somic.
And then I switched to Nero - Promises and Skrillex stuff... damn ! This is what this MH489 is made for. You can "feel" the bass and still it's not over the top.

Ultimate I listened to the tracks of my own band, which I mixed myself and I am truly amazed about the overall sound quality of this "bass driven" headphone. My bassguitar sounds big and natural, bassdrums are thick and punchy and meanwhile guitars and vocals get the place they deserve in the mix.

I'm happy
wink.gif

Clear mids, yea that's not an XB700 at all. I owned the XB 700 the mids where VERY recessed xD, and the treble was VERY forward, and the bass DOMNIATED everything, but it still allowed for some nice mids and highs,

still the Xb 700 was VERY over the top to me, that's what made it fun for Dub Step... you want to FEEL your bass, get a REAL Xb 700 slap a Fiio E11 to that sucker set to +2 bass... and I promise it will MELT YOUR BRAIN, she leaks sound like no body's buisness to xD 

But I do belive they are knock offs :D as they sound to balanced to be a REAL xb 700 lol 

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #26 of 50
hey,
       thanks for the review.i had a feeling they would be awesome.i have the somic efi82 mt and it punches way out of its weight class.i love dubstep-so im going to pull the trigger on these.

good job,

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #27 of 50
Thanks, I do have one negative to add: the earpads are shallow allthough they are this big. So the inner linning touches your ear. With longer usage it starts to irritate slightly.

But soundwise are these much better then expected and the best headphone I own to just listen to music. My AKG 271 studio, for example, is great for production, but lacks too much to be fun for simply listening to music.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #30 of 50
I got lucky, I found one for $64 on a gamers shop on Aliexpress. After I put it in my wishlist, I got an E-mail that there was a 10% discount, hence the $57 I paid for it.

This is the shop, but the discount is over: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Somic-MH489-Headset-Cmputer-DJ-Monitor-s-Music-Earphones-Black-Red-Gaming-Earphones/733920003.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back