Somic MH489 -- Sony XB700 ripoffs?
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Zopiac

New Head-Fier
So my girlfriend's father is a techy, dealhunter sort of guy, so he discovered a little website called eachgame. It seems to be full of off-brand items and accessories, and I just had a skim through their headphones, and I saw a pair with a similar plushiness to Sony XB-700s.

http://www.eachgame.com/goods-16425.html

They're a fraction of the price, and as I'm a bit of a sucker for red/black themes that are oh-so-uncommon in the pro audio world, I'm thinking about getting these (half for the headphones themselves, half for the prospect of buying a potential ripoff just for science's sake of comparing it to the real deal). I have read that people have gotten rebranded headphones from this site before, for instance I read a post where someone had gotten a clearance item since it was so cheap (it might have even be free, I can't remember) and it happened to be *ducks head* 100% legitimate Beats Pros, with only a slight factory defect, a slight bubble in the material on one side. Came in the original packaging, too.

These are obviously not 100% Sony rebrands or simple factory defects, but the similar specs (50mm drivers, etc.), similar look (the earpads, headband expanders, y-split cable (although it's round instead of flat), and even the earcup hinges are the same) make them seem promising.

What do you guys think? I'm open to experimenting with these, especially since cheaper Chinese headphones have proven to be quite effective (I'm looking at you, Superlux, you glorious bastards). And hey, if nothing else, I can perhaps replace the simple headband on my XB500s with this more 'poofy' one.

I'm also wondering if these headphones suffer from a case of Engrish (somic vs. sonic)...

Somewhat off-topic, but they also seem to have a DAC or something of some sort... 

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 50
Buy one and report back? It's only $65. 
basshead.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 50
Got them and would not recommend to spend extra to get them. Only compared to xb500 tho.

The proportion and size of the cushion is more for smaller asian heads/ears.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:
Somic has some quite nice products from what I've seen on here. I imagine that these would likely be worth the money considering their other offerings. The headband also looks well padded as apposed to the the melted fruit roll-up that sony tried to cushion the 500s with. 

Yeah, that headband is almost bare. Don't know what Sony was thinking with that. 

I would love to hear these. Don't like the XB500 for anything other than bass, so I'd hope that these have a little less mid-bass bloat, but that's just me hoping.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:
Got them and would not recommend to spend extra to get them. Only compared to xb500 tho.

The proportion and size of the cushion is more for smaller asian heads/ears.

Understandable, especially the size issue. How does the sound quality/accuracy/signature compare with the 500s? Is it an obvious ripoff regarding both its similar style and a blatantly obvious quality gap, or is it a presentable pair of cans?

Quote:
I'm wondering a lot about these. Did you get them yet?

I ordered them last week, and they should be in tomorrow! HD330s and 681EVO.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Understandable, especially the size issue. How does the sound quality/accuracy/signature compare with the 500s? Is it an obvious ripoff regarding both its similar style and a blatantly obvious quality gap, or is it a presentable pair of cans?

I ordered them last week, and they should be in tomorrow! HD330s and 681EVO.

I was referring to the MH489. Did you order those?

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:
I was referring to the MH489. Did you order those?

Ah, sorry, no I never did. Got too excited over other Superluxes (I'm not altogether enthused about BASS BASS BASS, at least not right now). The MH489s will have to wait quite some time, if I ever do decide to get them in the end, budget's allocated for some months (I'm bad at this, heh).

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Ah, sorry, no I never did. Got too excited over other Superluxes (I'm not altogether enthused about BASS BASS BASS, at least not right now). The MH489s will have to wait quite some time, if I ever do decide to get them in the end, budget's allocated for some months (I'm bad at this, heh).

Don't blame you. Not a big fan of uber-bass myself, unless it's done correctly like the DT770 or WS55. 

I want to get some Superlux headphones for sure, but there's another headphone that I'm looking at that seems to be very similar to the Philips Uptown, called the Snike DJ-777. Looks really comfy too.

I'm bad with my money too. Glad I don't have to pay bills yet.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 50
Now that the original Sony XB-700's are discontinued are the Somic MH-489's really the best alternative?

I'm in love with the thick ear cushions as far as comfort goes.

Are their any other similar headphone brands that have the same huge cushions as shown below?

41IcZU8q1nL._SY300_.jpg

sony-mdr-xb700.32618817.jpg

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 50
Now these sonic (how do you call them?) definitely look like a sh!t compared to this XB beauty  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back