Somewhat disappointed by the HD 598's
Jun 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #16 of 34
  Quote:

IMO You can't begin to judge a headphone such as the 598 without a proper source and amp.  Such headphones are not meant to be plugged straight into your mobo.  :)  The difference between an outboard DAC/AMP (I've tried a couple) doesn't even compare to my onboard audio, or even from a internal dedicated soundcard.  At this point, you're not experiencing nearly what the headphone is capable of!

The E07K, as people have mentioned, might do the trick, but I've have bad luck with 2 FiiO products already (E10 DAC/AMP, D07 DAC) so I can't recommend them.  Their QA seems rather shoddy.

You might consider the NuForce uDAC-3 or the Audioengine D1 I keep hearing so much about.

I don't know, I heard heaps of negative comments about soundcards, apparently they don't make any difference. Although DAC's have been widely recommended.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #17 of 34

I don't know, I heard heaps of negative comments about sound cards, apparently they don't make any difference. Although DAC's have been widely recommended.

I think sounds cards with a good DAC chip and a decent headphone amplifier make a difference in improving headphone sound, but it's over all sound, it will not make a headphone just have more bass.
Technically you can feed an amplified audio signal with a high impedance into the HD598 and you could get a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass, but you just bringing down over all sound quality for a "louder" bass.
I switched from an internal sound card to an external DAC/Amp and the external sounds NICE, but it cost me $300, which is almost twice the cost of my old sound card.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #18 of 34
I think you just need a little burn in(of headphones and your ears) as I did when I first purchased senn598. But you could always use bass boost of your external dac or amp which I don't recommend.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #19 of 34
I use the Fiio E17 with mine. If you're listening to something where you need some extra bass, the bass boost works great. You can add a little or a lot depending on what you need. 

Definitely check out some stuff with female vocals or try some classical, even if you don't like it, they're a blast with the 598s.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #20 of 34
I love my 598/ Fiio E10 combo

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 34
Do you have a stereo or home theatre receiver? If so, give that a try. A lot of people don't realize that most decent receivers are capable of driving and amping the fussiest of headphones.
o2smile.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #22 of 34
  Do you have a stereo or home theater receiver? If so, give that a try. A lot of people don't realize that most decent receivers are capable of driving and amping the fussiest of headphones.
o2smile.gif

+1, the usually high impedance of an A/V receivers headphone output might even give it more bass.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #23 of 34
Two key points, in order of importance (IMHO)

The HD598 is not really a bass-heavy headphone.  None the senns in this product range really are... 595,580,600,650 (etc), at least not by todays standards.  So if you really want to push the bass-dbs, you'll have to EQ things a bit, and then theres a good chance your motherboard on-board soundcard will not have the headroom.

Not exactly sure what motherboard you are plugging into, but chances are its onboard headphone output was not designed with audio fidelity or dynamics in mind.  They seldomly are.

So I think you've got two strikes against you.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #24 of 34
  I got them the other day, and the bass definitely had no impact. The bass is there, and well defined, but like I said it didn't have any punch, that's probably due to the open design, though I was expecting at least a decent amount of bass. The headphones will probably take a little while to burn in aswell, maybe as they get more use the bass will improve slightly, I'm not betting too much on this though. I'm not even a bass head either. The lack of bass is probably more overwhelming for me since I listen to a lot of trance. I heard about the lack of bass, but I didn't think it would be this lacking. As you've probably have heard everything else is pretty great about these, and they are great for gaming. Sort of regretting not getting the DT 990's, but then again they are $100 more, and I would need an amp with them most likely, which would cost even more. I'll probably need to get an amp regardless. 

Is there any way for me to remedy the bass for the HD 598's, for example with an amp? Do any amps go well with these? I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on them either.

No they sound just like you described, no amp can cure this. and obviously no burn in also.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #25 of 34

No they sound just like you described, no amp can cure this. and obviously no burn in also.

This.

My experience with the Fiio E7 (not E7k) is that the bass boost effects the rest of the sound produced therefor I prefer it being off. I do think the E7 does improve sound quality of the HD598, but will not give me more impact with bass boost off.  You are probably better off getting a whole different headphone instead of trying to find a way for it to improve on something you find it's lacking or you can try rely on EQing. Another option is to give it sometime for you to adjust to what it has to offer.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #26 of 34
I've only demo'd the HD598 but I previously owned the HD650.  I don't think the bass is going to be rectified to your liking.  HD598 definitely has some of that signature Sennheiser sound for the HD650, it's clearly a Sennheiser.  For under $500 I don't believe you will be satisfied with any Sennheiser open air or even their closed, I am not impressed by their Momentum or HD280.  But I Sennheiser HD598/HD650 are super easy to listen to, no fatigue, very comfortable and pleasant.  But the bass don't have impact, punch and aren't as tight as their competitors.  It's good bass, but not the type of bass you want, I think? 

The HD598 and HD650 and from what I've read about HD600 commonality is their superb mids.  But listening to HD598 you would know this by now.

I would consider the AD900x and AKG K712 if you are looking for midrange open air with solid bass.  I myself just bought the K712, looking forward to it arriving and listening to it. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #27 of 34
   Another option is to give it sometime for you to adjust to what it has to offer.

+1 on this. I also suggest not listening to any other headphones/speakers while you mentally burn-in the HD598s, then come back to what you are used to.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #28 of 34

+1 on this. I also suggest not listening to any other headphones/speakers while you mentally burn-in the HD598s, then come back to what you are used to.

haha and after that he reveal again same thing...

OP you better get something different rather try some magic on 598 to make it likeable :D

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #29 of 34
I don't agree with getting a HD598 when you listen to Trance or other EDM. I own the 598, as well as the HD600 and have owned the HD650 in the past. But with any sort of EDM, they all take a back seat to my DT770. If you want to enjoy a good bass response, you need to go with decent, closed headphones in my opinion. There is no comparison. The impact is more assured and it makes for a far more enjoyable experience. Coincidentally it also makes them my favorite gaming headphones. I love the 598 with stuff like rock. They do great with guitars, attack on drums, jazz bass lines, vocals... With house or trance, no. I'd try to return the 598 if I were you.

There's a very good chance your motherboard is a fine amp/dac for some low impedance dt770, by the way. Same for the modest 598. Unless you have some channel imbalance, crackle or distortion, you're probably okay. It's too bad you've already fallen for the headfi trap and ordered the e7. Take it from a long time headfi'er... that's not the way to go.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #30 of 34
   It's too bad you've already fallen for the headfi trap and ordered the e7. Take it from a long time headfi'er... that's not the way to go.

This made me laugh, only because I am ignorant to this. So, what is the E7 trap? 
happy_face1.gif

PS, Thanks for the edit, you saved this thread from a major derailment. 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back