something you don't eat?
Nov 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #46 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by radlux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
durian. that stuff is just nasty

Someone once described eating durian like having the most exquisite strawberry soufflé... in the stinkiest toilet you'll ever sit in.

it's the KING of fruits, only the brave can partake in it
dt880smile.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of religion, because of the texture, taste, smell, family tradition, bad memory related to a certain food, or simply don't eat it without reason.

because of religion... Muslims are only allowed to eat a limited number of animals; herbivores (must be slaughtered kosher), birds and fish. No carnivores or omnivores (swine, cats, dogs, tigers are out...) no amphibians (e.g. frogs and some amphibious fish, crabs), no reptiles (snakes, lizards etc)

A friend once went to Beijing and was asked what he would want to avoid eating - he said "spider" - then they took him to a restaurant and ordered just about everything but spider *LOL*

And another time we were having a drink with this guy from Sudan or somewhere in Africa he said he ate spiders we all went "ewwww!!" he said, "you guys eat prawns, and that has more legs than spiders... think about it. or don't hahah!"

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #48 of 168
The only thing I don't eat is cilantro.

I've tried everything else I've seen.

Last year I ate intestines cooked in the back of a van almost weekly. I also ate a lot of tripe, though it's not my favorite. I'd eat basically anything, really.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #50 of 168
never had eel with bones. Mostly I have unagi, or the occasional jellied eel. I can see how those bones would be tricky.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #51 of 168
I Will Not Eat Fish!

For two reasons:

First; I got chased by a shark after I cut my ankle on some coral, and I feel a kinship to all the other sea critters who are low enough on the food chain to be eaten.

And secondly; and most importantly: When I was Five and going to Kindergarten my Mom told me that we were going to have "Smelt" for dinner after I got home cuz a friend was bringing over a whole big bunch.

So when I got home from school I ran into the house and excitedly asked about all the Smelt and my Mom said they were all in a tub in the Kitchen!

So I ran to the Kitchen and found the tub on the floor and lifted the cover and stuck my nose right on in there and all those small stinky little ugly fish were lying there with their eyes wide open stinking right back up at me!
eek.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #52 of 168
Pesto.

I used to not mind it, but then I had spaghetti with pesto on a night when I was really sick. You can imagine the rest. Now I can't stand the smell of it, I don't allow it anywhere near my food.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #53 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaluen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reminds me of something I read a while back. See #2.

The 6 Most Terrifying Foods in the World | Cracked.com
Oh, can you confirm #4 is an actual dish?

I don't see how lutefisk made that list and surstromming didn't.

surstromming is herring that is incompletely cured, and allowed to rot. In the old days, they would do this in open vats with just not enough salt. out exposed to the rain, iirc.

These days they put it in a special can, and let it rot in the can until it's expanded just far enough, and then freeze it.

When you're ready to eat it, you let it thaw on the counter with a towel draped over it. Because it might explode.

You're also not allowed to bring it on most airlines, because, it might explode.

When opening it, you're supposed to cover your hand and the can with a towel because it's guaranteed to squirt a bit.

And it smells so bad, that a friend of mine tells me that he was once invited to a beach bbq in sweeden where the host forgot the towel while opening a can of surstromming, and elected to just burn his shirt.

Also surprised i didn't see Hakarl on the list. But what gets me about hakarl is, how on earth did they come up with it?

What was the logic?

"Ok, well, a week ago we tried to eat the greenland shark we caught, but it made us vomit blood. Now that we have our strength back, lets just bury the thing, it's starting to stink"

and then months later, dead of winter:

"Man I'm hungry. I'm so hungry. I can't believe how hungry i am. Maybe we should try that shark again . . . "

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #54 of 168
Excellent point. More to the point, how did anyone, after that period of a few months, try it and exclaim "ah, guess what guys, it's all better now. It still tastes exactly like solid urine, but I get the distinct impression that eating a small amount won't kill me. Help me dig this up"

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #55 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how lutefisk made that list and surstromming didn't.

I totally agree. I honestly don't think lutefisk is that bad, we usually have it almost every christmas with a normal white bechamel sauce, boiled peas and boiled potatoes.

Surströmming on the other hand...

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #57 of 168
I didn't realize so many people were anti-veggies lol.

I was thinking and one thing I am not fond of eating (although I do) is fish with bones. Besides that, I pretty much eat anything that isn't exotic/weird (from my perspective of course)

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #58 of 168
Nov 17, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #60 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Will Not Eat Fish!

For two reasons:

First; I got chased by a shark after I cut my ankle on some coral, and I feel a kinship to all the other sea critters who are low enough on the food chain to be eaten.

And secondly; and most importantly: When I was Five and going to Kindergarten my Mom told me that we were going to have "Smelt" for dinner after I got home cuz a friend was bringing over a whole big bunch.

So when I got home from school I ran into the house and excitedly asked about all the Smelt and my Mom said they were all in a tub in the Kitchen!

So I ran to the Kitchen and found the tub on the floor and lifted the cover and stuck my nose right on in there and all those small stinky little ugly fish were lying there with their eyes wide open stinking right back up at me!
eek.gif

Shark's fin taste just like soup.

Me and my buddies used to smelt fish in the spring. They taste good grilled with beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back