something you don't eat?
Nov 18, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #76 of 168
ha, there are a lot of things I don't eat.

meat, fish, dairy, eggs, lard, gelatin, mushrooms, cane sugar, high fructose corn syrup.

I basically only eat things which photosynthesize (plus minerals of course) and stay away from anything processed with more than a knife, grinder or mixer.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #77 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
had some sashimi last night. i guess mackerel sashimi is not for me.

Heh, and that happens to be one of my favorites. A nice salty fishy flavor with a good firm texture.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #78 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I draw the line at aged walrus meat and toasted vegans.

I agree, vegans should always be sauteed with shallots - never toasted.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #79 of 168
Sushi

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #80 of 168
hmm lets see:

Cream Cheese
Sour Cream

they were invented to torture me with their existence
k701smile.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #81 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried 'stinky tofu' once. They told me once I get over the 'aroma' it is actually not bad. When I tasted the so called 'aroma', it was downhill from there. The tofu ice cream saved me.

If you know who Andrew Zimmern is on the Travel Channel then this is too funny. Man has a show called Bizarre Foods and he eats everything, and I mean everything. Stinky Tofu almost made him hurl and he couldn't even swallow one bite. That stuff is disgusting!

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #84 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaninugraha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fish.
i just can't stand the odour.

Fish doesn't smell fishy if it's fresh. Have you tried something like salmon or tuna? They don't even taste fishy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mayonnaise and okra. UGH!!!

Most people who hate okra have never had it cooked properly. Same with asparagus.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #85 of 168
Certain dairy foods I can't eat too much of because I'm lactose intolerant.

Balut, I saw my friends ate them once and I just couldn't bring myself to try one.

Bitter Melon, my parents and relatives loves Bitter Melon but I would hurl if I had a mouthful of it.

Other than those mention above, I'm open to try just about anything once.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #87 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people who hate okra have never had it cooked properly.

I'm aware of two appropriate cooking methods for okra:

1: put a little olive oil in a pan and sautee over medium heat until black, scrape into trash can and order pizza.

2: Insert whole pod of okra into center of pot of gumbo. Simmer until you can't prove that the okra ever existed, then serve.

As for anything with curry on it, you do know that 'curry' basically means 'stew', right? And that 'curry powder' is a largely british invention. Which is not to say that garam masala isn't a valid term - but curry powder and garam masala are frequently very different things, and every good indian cook has their own recipe for garam masala.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #88 of 168
You have forgotten my favorite way:

3: Covered in fat and bread crumbs and submerged in hot fat to get crispy on the outside. Yummm....

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #89 of 168
there is only one thing I will flat out refuse to eat: tripe

i really cant stand the stuff. itd odor while blanching is enough to sour my stomach... dont get me started on the texture. all this, on TOP of the idea that I'm eating stomach lining...

sad part is, it was on the menu when I was working at A Voce, so I got to smell it being prepared several times a week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back