Something new Monday...
Nov 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #46 of 216
Eh, I felt that the LCD-4 was a "better value" than the LCD-XC and LCD-3F I owned along with it. The LCD-4 had over "twice the performance" at around twice the price - I was more impressed with the LCD-4 at $4k than I was with the other two around $2k.

I think if Abyss is going "cheaper" (keep in mind the Diana is "cheaper" than the 1266), they might take that planar technology and get on the open IEM bandwagon!
Maybe those were not the best LCDs in terms of value for money :) I was quite impressed with the LCD-2 as it was a new kind of sound priced similarly to other flagships back then. But yeah the LCD-4 was pretty impressive in itself (just like the 1266).

I'm curious about an Abyss iem as well but I wonder how they would fare with the chi-fi competition. I think there's more space on the market for a good full-size closed-back. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #47 of 216
I am happy and fortunate to be that 1%. Are you suggesting that the headphone market should be all filled with cheap and poor sounding headphones so the masses could enjoy ?
I think it is more that the trend of headphones and their prices have gotten out of control. There should be a balance. Someone who works their tail off and doesn't qualify as a 1 percenter shouldn't have to save for a year to purchase a headphone. I have the ability to afford nice things, but am not even close to a 1 percenter and while I can afford nice things, I can't just buy another $4,000 headphone. I understand my limits and except them, but that doesn't mean that only a 1 percenter should have that opportunity. The audiophile hobby is creating a chasm in the middle. The middle makes up 80%. If companies keep putting out more and more expensive stuff and it becomes for the few and the rest dream about good sound then we are failing to bring more people into this world who can enjoy great sound. The balance is to find a way to have both. There will always be people who can afford whatever they want, and those people have every right to spend to their own hearts content. I would never propose that someone should be given a ceiling to what they can own and achieve. However, there is most certainly a ceiling the other way and figuring out how to bridge that gap is what will bring more people in.

To say that the market should be filled with cheap and poor sounding headphones for the masses isn't the point at all. It needs to go the other way and the industry needs to find inventive ways of bringing the middle up. Mid-fi used to be $500. That is now low-fi. I find that to be more of the issue.

There is another argument to this as well, which is that every level continues to put out better and better products. What is $500 today sounds way better than it did years ago.

Just my two cents...

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #48 of 216
I'm curious about an Abyss iem as well but I wonder how they would fare with the chi-fi competition. I think there's more space on the market for a good full-size closed-back. I guess we'll know soon enough.
I think the planar IEM archetype is far from settled and there have only been a handful of successful implementations of the technology (and even less for closed IEMs), so Abyss could really make a statement with a piece like this!

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #49 of 216
I think it is more that the trend of headphones and their prices have gotten out of control. There should be a balance.
The HD6XX is $220.

The secondary market is the balance. You really think I paid $4k for the LCD-4s I had?

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #50 of 216
Without getting into a debate about whether or not the glut of flagship multi-kilobuck headphones is a good or bad trend, I will say it is hard to get hyped over a cryptic save-the-date announcement. Still, even though I'm not interested in any current Abyss headphones, they're one of the more interesting companies in the industry. I'm curious to see if they make a major product update.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #51 of 216
The HD6XX is $220.

The secondary market is the balance. You really think I paid $4k for the LCD-4s I had?
But the HD6XX is basically a rebadged HD650, which just like the HD600 benefited a lot from from the HE90 design back in the 90s/early 2000s. That was mass market logic at its best. Something we don't see too much these days (Hifiman maybe?).

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #52 of 216
The HD6XX is $220.

I have no idea what you paid.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #54 of 216
I don't think you need to be in the 1% to spend $3k on a headphone. Plenty of people spend way more on other lifestyles and they're not literally rich.

Also, if you own a house, have multiple children, multiple divorces, etc are way way way more than $3k yet thats the most common thing most humans seem to undergo.

Im not rich by any means and while $3k isn't chump change to me its not gonna make me (I wish!) or break me. It just means more OT till it gets paid off.
Chuckled at the multiple divorces :D Good thing to teach your kids though, careful who you marry or else you won’t be able to buy TOTL headphones

Super excited for the new Abyss though, sign me up!

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #55 of 216
But the HD6XX is basically a rebadged HD650, which just like the HD600 benefited a lot from from the HE90 design back in the 90s/early 2000s. That was mass market logic at its best. Something we don't see too much these days (Hifiman maybe?).
Yes, you can get the headphone that some think has yet to be significantly improved upon for $220 new. Can you believe it? HiFiMAN is definitely the best and worst of charging outrageous prices for some things while offering incredible bargains for others.

I have no idea what you paid.
LCD-4s regularly go for under $2k in the classifieds. This is where you see what the real prices are, what the market will bear. If we're complaining about $4k flagships but are still balking at getting a $4k flagship for <half-price, then we're not serious about our complaints. HE-560s used to be $900, and I've owned multiple pairs I paid less than $200 for!

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #56 of 216
Yes, you can get the headphone that some think has yet to be significantly improved upon for $220 new. Can you believe it? HiFiMAN is definitely the best and worst of charging outrageous prices for some things while offering incredible bargains for others.

LCD-4s regularly go for under $2k in the classifieds. This is where you see what the real prices are, what the market will bear. If we're complaining about $4k flagships but are still balking at getting a $4k flagship for <half-price, then we're not serious about our complaints. HE-560s used to be $900, and I've owned multiple pairs I paid less than $200 for!
I have never seen a LCD-4 regularly for under $2k. And I am constantly checking. If that is real market then that should be what they are sold for. My point has nothing to with the hunt or whether or not I can find a headphone on the classifieds and push the price as low as possible. Everyone likes the game of finding a deal. I am not complaining, I am pointing out the fact that as things continue to go up in price the difference between the low end and the high end will continue to grow.

Nonetheless, this is a thread about something different and I am curious to see what Abyss comes out with.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #57 of 216
I'd guess its the Diana closed back, but "res-evolved" makes me think of evolved resolution, so maybe its something else. No clue. Looking forward to seeing what it is : )

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #58 of 216
Wowing to the price debate since I am Turkish where dollar is ten times my currency (not even counting in the import taxes) and considering that I am ensnared by this hobby (as everyone has a right to since you can’t choose where you were born), I have little to no access to TOTL category.
You may say that this is a luxurious hobby but this is really one of the few things that I know I love with passion, and few people know in life what they really love. I don’t spend money on many things that normal people do in order to keep myself going.
I’ve spent a considerable amount of money and time and I’ve done everything in my power only to be able to try a bunch of mid-high end headphones up to this time and could only afford to keep a single mid-fi one.
Now with each day the window of opportunity is narrowing down due to the economy.
So I guess you should give up this debate and consider how lucky you are on the subject of this hobby.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #60 of 216
What if it's a new innovative scratch and sniff headphone that creates a scent when music is played through it...would you still want to give them your money? :p
his money, his bias... :xf_cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back