Someone from Colorado ?
Mar 7, 2003 at 8:26 AM Post #16 of 222
I could provide a pair of HD580 (stock cable) and a pair of AKG K501. No real source (i'm using a sony D33) and no amp for the moment.

I've the email of the diyer of the custom set, gonna mail him

Mar 8, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 222
Just got my Sony D25S PCDP today - sounds great, could be a source to use for transportable/portable comparisons.

Also have a pair of HD590 Senns, and will soon have the Eggo D66 and AT W1000 headphones - I might be willing to share!
biggrin.gif

I also have a JMT built Meta42 Amp - or I will have it tomorrow (Post Office tried to deliver it today but I was at work.
frown.gif
)

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #19 of 222
I'm nuts for Sennheiser and love my 497s and 580s, would be interested to hear other models plus Eggos.

I could bring cans, and my MD, which I think sounds great for a portable. 580s would obviously need an amp.

Mar 22, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #20 of 222
I did a lot of calling around. I would have stopped at the stores, but if you've seen my jacket, well, you wouldn't go in a high end store looking like this, either. Anyway, except for 2 of them, they all carry Grado 'phones and amps - and nothing else. Moondance Audio has the Creek amp, an ASL LH-01, and Grado 'phones. Gold Sound carries the Creek and a Gold Line 'phone amp, as well as the pro style AT 'phones.

The new "Stereophile" has a calander listing of some event at Moondance from some company rep - I forget which. The last time I went in there (a while ago), they had the small Teac Reference components. They also carry a bit of used stuff.

I'll go in them again, but it might be a bit more fun if some of y'all went along. And if it doesn't snow a few more feet, I'll throw a cookout.

How about it? Let's get this past the hot air stage!

Bob

Mar 23, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #22 of 222
Where is Moondance Audio? I , too, am ready to meet some more Head-Fiers. I will be out of town after 4/1 for about a week, but will be home after that.

Great snowstorm, wasn't it? Personnally, I would rather a little bit at a time, but Mama Nature doesn't agree!

Mar 26, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 222
Just caught up with this, I'm in Highlands Ranch. New to it all, but did just finish building a nice Meta42. Only cans are Beyer DT770s.

I'll keep an eye out for progress on a meet. Yeah there's not much you can sample in Denver area, I couldn't find one place that had a pair of Beyers. Even worse is DIY - I had to go to Boulder just to get a decent soldering station and other stuff.

Mar 27, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #25 of 222
rohorn - None of us reacted to your suggestion to go visit HeadRoom in Montana. I would love to do that - they sure have a lot of different headphones we could try out.

For our first meet, however, I would like to check out a local Denver metro place - someplace must have some decent equipment to try out (I'd like to try out Grados, even - a lot of people love them.)

Maybe if a local place knew there were "real" people (
biggrin.gif
) interested in good quality audio/headphone equipment, it would encourage them to get in a better selection.

Mar 27, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 222
HF - Was it J B Saunders where you got the soldering station? If so - is it a good shop?

OakIris - agreed. Perhaps if we announced ourselves, some shops might cater to our tastes. Although... I can say I have pretty much written off Recycled up in Boulder. They have Grados, and nothing else, and zero interest in making any real effort to stock requested products. Although they will sometimes condescend to make special orders, at a significant markup to MSRP.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 27, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #27 of 222
I spoke with somebody at Moondance - they seemed to be amused at the thought of being visited by a handful of headphone nuts. "We have lots of toys to play with", he said!!

That's what I call an invitation!

I'm in the market for a used full size van / vintage oversized station wagon since baby #6 is due at the end of July. Todd of HeadRoom seemed to also be amused at the notion of us raiding his domain in Bozeman. My guess is that it would be a day's drive up, a day to fondle and listen to the goods, as it were, and another day to return. No, I'm not in a position to go forth and make the trip in the near future, but I'm having fun just thinking about it.

It's a shame the Radio Shack.com store on Colorado Blvd closed. They sold lots of neat soldering stations, waveform generators, o'scopes, etc.....

Mar 27, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #28 of 222
phonatic - yeah it was JB Saunders. Place is not bad, if you take the time. They have lots of stuff - tons of wire at sometimes cheap prices, lots of tools, tons of very cheap pots, etc.

They even have a bunch of used soldering stations, even had 2 hakko 939 (I believe that was the #). But they are priced terribly; they're all on consignment from one guy and he wanted like $330 for both of them and they were pretty beat up. Too bad.

Its definitely worth a visit; got goot eutectic solder there too.

Yeah, it is a damn shame Tech America\RS closed. First RS.com took them over, then shut them down. THAT was probably the plan from the start, damn big chains, I HATE em! Try to find a single damn video rental store that ISN'T BlockF***er.

But I digress.

Mar 28, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #29 of 222
Thanks, HF. Second recommendation of JB Saunders I've received this week... I will have to pay them a visit.

Well, I'd be up for a meet at Moondance... probably have to be some Saturday afternoon, since I doubt they are open on Sunday.

Thanks to rohorn for the inquiries.

Mar 28, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #30 of 222
If we do a Saturday afternoon thing, hope we have plenty of advanced notice, as I'll need to get the day off from work.

I'll be out of town next week, and will have no access to a computer (I'm starting to feel the need to get myself a laptop. Any excuse...) so I won't be able to check on this thread until I get back in town. Please don't go play at an audio store without me.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back