Some Whiplash TWag V1 Cables Turning Green (Split from JH13 Appreciation Thread)
May 31, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #166 of 242
Wow....I'm MIA for a bit and I come back to this.   I was about to email Craig about the process we have to do to get a cable replaced, but figured it would be easier to just ask her so everyone won't bombard him with the same question via email.

What exactly do we have to provide?  picture of the cable? receipt?  TIA

Also, Craig has always been a delight when purchasing from him.  Somewhere along the line or chain of business; a mistake/error was made.... nothing more and nothing less.  I don't believe anyone had the intent to dupe loyal customers.  my .02.

May 31, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #167 of 242
I prefer to wait until I have all the information in front of me. 

I'll post both assays, as soon as I get the second one back.  I want to see if the third one comes closer to the result you received, or closer to the result I received.  It should only be a few days.

Peace,

Lee

Quote:
Why not post the results you have got so far, you say you are getting a the 3rd test done on these now so the first 2 cant both be wrong.

May 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #168 of 242
Parrots: Re-read what gawk wrote, as you are mis-interpreting what he said. He didn't say anything about anyone being aware about the cable being the wrong metal in the past. I think your desire to be right is clouding your thinking.

Another thing: The assay office only shows results to two decimal places. Does the test they did only guarantee accuracy to this degree or can they do better?

May 31, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #169 of 242
I don't think there is any doubt about the copper. What I believe Lee was saying is that the percentage of silver measured by the lab he sent samples to was different. It doesn't change the basic issue being discussed, of course.

May 31, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #170 of 242
There are a number of ways of determining metals content, and each method has pros and cons.

potentiometric titration is a very fast way of determining silver, copper and a few other metals and limited in accuracy to about 2 decimal places.

ICP-OES  (inductively coupled plasma with an optical detector, typically 1k to 4k element ccd things) is another commonly used technique
you first have to disolve the metals in an acid and dilute appropriately, but the techinque is ratio based and can give accuracys of about 3 decimal places.
My lab as a varian instrument that is very nice and very fast.

ICP-MS (same inductively coupled plasma with the ions entering a single quad mass spec detector) is another commonly used technique
works the same as above, typically gives about 4 decimal places, but with care you can get ratios accurate to a few parts per million.
My lab has a VG instrument now owned by THERMO.

If you have enough sample, fire assay works great, you can get accuracys of about 5 decimal places.

electrospray TOF is another method, have a wonderful agilent unit, accuracy in the 10's of parts per billion.

other techniques are xray bombardment  (yep i can do this one too  ) good to 4 or 5 decimal places.

and scanning electron microscope which among other things is really good for crystal grain structure.
(i have one of these coming on line soon)

Whether the cable is 3 nines, 4 nines, or 5 nines and whether anyone in the world can hear the difference
between them is another matter entirely.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #172 of 242
Hi everyone. Sorry for being away from this thread for the last few days. I have had some personal stuff to take care of.

Yes I have been replacing v1 when requested. I send the customer my RMA form to fill out and instructions. So please contact me at csanborn@whiplashaudio.com.

I'm working on many things at the moment, so please if I do not get back to you right away don't worry!! 

Craig

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #173 of 242
Hi everyone. Sorry for being away from this thread for the last few days. I have had some personal stuff to take care of.

Yes I have been replacing v1 when requested. I send the customer my RMA form to fill out and instructions. So please contact me at csanborn@whiplashaudio.com.

I'm working on many things at the moment, so please if I do not get back to you right away don't worry!! 

Craig

Thanks for clearing that up Craig, do you intend on notifying V1 customers of this option or maybe even posting thi

s option in you're sponsor forum so V1 customers can actually know about this option as I'm sure the majority have not seen this thread.

You might also want to consider a refund option for those who already had the V1 and upgraded to the V2 as I'm sure many won't want 2 of the exact same cables so maybe those people can get a refund for the V1 upon returning it or be able to exchange it for something else.

Yes I working out some details. I have had lots of requests that were not v1 and not TWag cables.

Craig

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #174 of 242

Craig

Thanks for clearing that up Craig, do you intend on notifying V1 customers of this option or maybe even posting thi

s option in you're sponsor forum so V1 customers can actually know about this option as I'm sure the majority have not seen this thread.

You might also want to consider a refund option for those who already had the V1 and upgraded to the V2 as I'm sure many won't want 2 of the exact same cables so maybe those people can get a refund for the V1 upon returning it or be able to exchange it for something else.

Yes I working out some details. I have had lots of requests that were not v1 and not TWag cables.

Craig

I can't see why you should have to replace or refund anything that is not made from the TWag V1 wire and I'm sure everyone else will agree with me but it's up to you if you want to do it with other cables other then V1.

I'm only going to replace v1. There are customers that are mistaking trying to replace a v2 cable not knowing the difference. Also sending in cables that were not made by me since there are a few copy cats out there. I need to identify the customer and cable. So like I said , there are details I need to figure out. Also I'm getting ready for the Rochester International Jazz Festival. This will keep me busy!! Over 200,000 expected attendees.

Craig

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #175 of 242

Quote:
I'm only going to replace v1. There are customers that are mistaking trying to replace a v2 cable not knowing the difference. Also sending in cables that were not made by me since there are a few copy cats out there. I need to identify the customer and cable. So like I said , there are details I need to figure out. Also I'm getting ready for the Rochester International Jazz Festival. This will keep me busy!! Over 200,000 expected attendees.

Craig

This is why (IMO) the return should be treated as a recall.

Strict guidlines, clear instructions for return, etc...

God only knows how you are going to manage all of the second hand cables doing the rounds... These people have been equally mis-sold items.

All the best Craig, I hope this can resolve itself.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #176 of 242

Quote:
Quote:
Where's the lab report originally posted by Parrots?

Jude took it down, I have just received an email from the Assay company saying that they have emailed Jude letting him know that I have permission to post those results so once I receive a reply from Jude confirming he received that email I will re post the pictures showing the results.

I guess I'm just confused why this was an issue in the first place.  Was there any language in any document indicating that you could not post the results?

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #177 of 242

Quote:

God only knows how you are going to manage all of the second hand cables doing the rounds... These people have been equally mis-sold items.

Agree...

There are many that like the sound and since its burned in, are satisfied with what they have. I'm trying to make the correct procedures, etc. The other part is that the timeframes will be rather long since we already have a waiting list for TWag v2 Eclipse and other cables. So all of this will be announced. 

Craig

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #178 of 242

If Whiplash is going to be forced to do a recall on all these cables, then they are completely within their rights to sue the original cable distribution company (where Cryo-Parts ordered the cable from originally) for the full cost of the replacements in terms of materials, labor, and damage to the reputation of their business.  That could be a LOT of money, easily tens of thousands of dollars.

Quote:

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #179 of 242
Hence the value of test/re-test reliability estimates.  Would be better if those were with test sites as well as across.

Quote:

After they had made many sample runs for me, and a few runs of wire.  All were OK.  Not sure how much v1 wire was sent to Craig, probably not as much as everyone thinks though.  There has been a LOT more v2 sent to Craig than v1.

Test results from one lab are back on v1, however, there is disparity between the results I have and the ones parrots posted, the ICP-OES assay I have in hand is quite a bit higher than the assay parrot has.  So, I have sent samples to a third lab to see what their results are.

As soon as I get the test back on the wire I have in now, I will post it, and the other result I received.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #180 of 242
How many different samples did they test from the same wire and other samples of the same wire, or was this a test of just one piece of wire?

Quote:
As for the test it's shows the acurate results for the wire that was tested and the only way a different result can be gained is if it was a different wire, I really can't see how they can do better, both V1 and V2 were tested and the results of the V2 were nearly identical to the one Cryo Parts posted with only a 0.03% difference I believe but can't exactly remember what his resilts were.

I've already seen with my own eyes which can also be seen clearly in the pictures I posted what this cable is made of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back