Some recommendations needed
Nov 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nyckylim

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

While accompanying my brother on the search for Beats by Dr Dre., i grew more interested in headphones than ever. After doing much research, my interest in headphones started to grow and despite telling my brother not to get the Beats headphones, he still insists as he really likes the look of it even though the Denon D1100 that we tried sounds nicer and is cheaper than the Beats.

After listening to the Denons, i realized that i'm also very interested in headphones and am now looking to purchase my very first headphones.

For some background information, i like listening to soothing music (mostly acoustic and bossa nova). I would mostly be listening through my iPhone, iPad or MacBook Pro. I do not want the extra burden of an amplifier. Therefore, hoping to get a headphone which can perform best without an amplifer.

I am currently between choices of the AudioTechnica ESW-9, Denon D1100 and Sennheiser 555 or 595.

I was told that being a newbie, we should take it a step slower and buy cheaper headphones to let our ears get used to the kind of sound quality.

However, I'm hoping to purchase something that I do not need to upgrade for quite some time.

Therefore, I hope you guys here can recommend me something or maybe help me decide on which would suit me best as I do not have much clue about headphones.

Thank you
Nycky

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi!  So, here are some recommendations for ya:

First up the open back variety

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

Beyerdynamic DT 440,  DTX 900 Trendline, DT 770 32 Ohm

Grado SR60i, SR80i, SR125i

Sennheiser HD238

Next up the sealed back variety

Shure SRH440

Sennheiser HD448

Ultrasone HFi 450, HFi 580

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

All of these headphones are around 100 dollars or less and can be easily driven by ipod and macbook.  Now open back give you a clear natural sound signature and a large soundstage(think surround sound) with excellent spatial imaging(instrument placement, where sounds are coming from).  You won't get the "tin can" sound that some sealed 'phones have with the open back design.  The caveat however is that headphones of this design block out little to no ambient noise at all and tend to leak out sound even at moderate listening levels.  If you don't need noise isolation then open back 'phones are usually the way to go, but if you do these sealed options are also excellent choices as well.

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 9
I would suggest getting the 555s since they're good all rounders...btw there is a quick and easy mod that basically turns them in to 595s. Also don't forget to mention your preferences so we can help you out more. Btw..imo you should stay away from beats..they don't sound terrible but definitely aren't worth their price
Welcome to Haedifi and sorry about your wallet!

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Wow, that's quite alot of suggestions. Appreciate your help. Seems like a tough decision to choose between open back and closed back. Firstly, is sound isolation the same as noise canceling ? And, does more noise canceling provide better sound quality due to lesser interference from outside noise ? (just my beginner's mindset). And if so, wouldn't closed back headphones provide better sound ?

The HD555 seems like a good suggestion too. But does it need amplifiers ? And how does it compare to certain models that DigitalPride has recommend ? also, what do you mean by preference ? Like what I've stated above? (classical, acoustic, bossa, jazzy) ? For headphone preference, i prefer something that cups the entire ear. Looks doesn't really matter though i like the looks of the HD595.

Last but not least, are sennheisers that good ? Haha.

Thanks all for the help!

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Active "Noise canceling" always provides worse sound quality for the price.  It is better to get something that isolates you from your environment.  The HD555 and HD595 are the same headphone, just modded differently.  If you don't mind opening your headphones up, you can turn the 555 into the 595.  Open back provides better sound, because it allows the sound waves to propagate out as they were meant to, instead of being bounced back at you.  But, this doesn't mean that closed back headphones suck, they still sound great.  Open-back is useful if you want to blast sound at home and don't mind a little leakage.  If someone will be studying in the same room as you, or you will be at the library, on the bus/subway, etc. then just get closed back.  I can vouch that all 3 cans you are looking at will please you.  You state that you want to use them with a laptop, macbook, and ipad.  I'll throw in that you're aiming way high with all of those circumaural headphones, as their size (and price) will be pretty bulky to carry around.  Also, you will be making yourself even more of a target with your Apple arsenal.

Try this thread if you plan to take these out of your house:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-57-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-m50-added-11-12

Not only are these headphones cheaper for the most part, but it is more comfortable being portable.

Right now, try to get into hi-fi by trying these out, they are on clearance and can't be beat for the price.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524071/deal-alert-akg-k430-29-95-free-shipping-musician-s-friend

They will sound good, and show you what a good sound signature sounds like.  In the future, just relegate them to your traveling headphones.  These will beat your brother's Dr. Dre's up and down the street.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. 

Although I would be using the headphones on portable devices (laptop, ipad, iphone), I do not need the headphones to be portable. I would not be walking around with headphones or driving around with headphones. They would mainly be used at home and I like the comfort and size of the Denon 1100s. That is why I'm looking at the HD555 and HD595 because I like headphones that cup the entire ear.

Another question I would like to ask, in any case where i happen to be traveling, I might consider bringing the Sennheisers (if i purchase it) along to watch movies on the airplane. If so, would the open back be too noisy for me to watch movie comfortably without disturbing other passengers ?

Last but not least, I just need assurance that the HD555 or the HD595 are able to perform well enough without amplifiers as I think i'm set on either one of these.

However, please still keep the suggestions coming in.

Thanks all for your help !

P.S: I've added the HD448 in my "buy-list" as well.

Nycky

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 9
If I was on an airplane, I'd prefer closed headphones for myself, since my closed-back isolate me from the environment so much better than my open cans.  Even when listening at low levels, if someone comes into a room to talk to me while I'm wearing closed headphones, it's like having them on mute.  I've heard the Sennheiser HD590 being used (essentially the same as 595, I'm guessing, just "last generation") and there is definite sound bleed.  If there is someone in fair proximity to you, and you care, you'll have to at least turn down the headphones to keep from annoying others.

A common mistake that new head-fiers make is that after a small bit of reading here, they believe that headphone listening is impossible unamped.  Any of your recommendations will be JUST FINE straight out of any of your sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back