Some questions about the Klipsch Custom 3's - with followup
Oct 17, 2010 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

andogrando

New Head-Fier
Hi!
I'm a foreign newbie in headphones, so please be nice to me!
wink.gif

After going mad at my Skullcandy FMJ's comfort, I decided to order a new pair of IEM's.
I did some reading on the net, and found the Klipsch Image S4i as an worthy alternative. (Good bonus is the remote!)
However, I did find what looks to me an really good deal at Adorama - the Klipsch Custom 3, for 99 dollars!
They got good reviews here on the forum, but every reviewer complained on one thing - the Cord.
Quoted from the Multi-IEM Review;
"Microphonics (2.5/5) – Unpleasant despite these being worn over-the-ear and having a ‘memory wire’ configuration"

Now I'm worried if this little "caveat" will bother me as much as it did for the reviewers. As you might have understood, I'm a real noobie in the headphone and music world, I do however enjoy listening to lossless music through my surround setup. (HarmanKardon/Infinity-combo.)

The minimal step up in price to the Custom-3's from the S4's doesn't bother me. I just wonder how noticeable the cord-problem is in real life, for a person who hasn't ever tried any super-duper expensive phones before. (I do of course realize that I will need to take extra care of the cable as it easily kinks.)

Please share your ideas!
andogrando

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 12
The cord is quite microphonic yes ,but worn under clothing and with the cord slider pulled tight i do not find it a problem ,but i would not use them for jogging in as the footsteps would travel up the cord to your ears. They are best used in a more stationary environment and they are a wonderful sounding earphone.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 12
lucozade,
Hi, and thank you! I really appreciate your answer.
You mentioned a really helpful thing, about wearing them under clothes.
(As I usually do that!)

Thanks again!
andogrando

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I've read various posts relating to the Custom 3's fit, how did you find them.

There fit can be a bit tricky due to the slightly odd angle off the sound tube but it just takes a bit of practice to get them seated in your ears just right to be comfortable and with a good seal with silicon tips but once your used to doing it ,it takes just a few seconds however these days i use large shure olives which sound great on them and are more comfortable as they hold the driver shells further out and can be shoved strait in my ears.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the info, do you think this is a good price seller looks legit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Klipsch-Custom-3-Earphone-Earbud-Factory-Sealed-NEW-/200529874072?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item2eb0830c98

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 12
Adorama.com has them for 99 USD, and the shipping is like 40USD to UK. If i did my math correct, that should be a better deal? (And a more secure deal as well!)

BTW, just pulled the trigger on those, it's gonna be a looong week..
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Klipsch-Custom-3-Earphone-Earbud-Factory-Sealed-NEW-/200529874072?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item2eb0830c98

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

Yes that's a good price for the UK  and look legit , if they are indeed factory sealed as it looks like they are from the pic's you should have to cut your way through two clear  outer layers of plastic before you get to the printed cardboard box .

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Got my pair this Wednesday, and I must say I'm impressed.
Well, I haven't head many audio systems, but the sound is just incredible.
The only small disappointment is the cord, as everyone else has said before. I guess it's really expensive to do a recabling, especially for me who lives outside the States?

For me, the large dual-flange tips were the only tips fitting decently. The other ones just slip out or is too big.
I do however have one problem, as it seems like my left ear canal is smaller than the right one. Therefore, it feels like there is a much higher pressure in the left ear. Well, it isn't a big problem, but it's mildly uncomfortable.
As a side-question, could you guys recommend any replacement tips from a different manufacturer, that might fit me better? (And fits onto the headphones themselves.)

I liked the included carrying case for use at home, but it is way to big to bring to school/work etc. Do you have any recommendations on a smaller case that would suit better? It needs to feel solid, and I would love to see some kind of design that would help winding the cable.
I saw a picture of a case that I think comes with the Ultimate Ears-headphones. I think that one looked good!

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back