Some of the myths associated with K701/2
Apr 5, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #91 of 164
People get really emotional over the K70X haha it really blows my mind... For whatever reason it just makes little sense to me.

Every other headphone seems to be able to be happy with "it does this well, but lacks this" -and people accept that. With the K70X it's like people simply can't accept that not everyone finds it perfect...

Fact: its a damned good buy for the price
Fact: not everyone likes it, and they don't have too
Fact: only your opinion really matters in the end, so get over other people not liking them :p

Lastly, if it has to meet such rigorous requirements to have satisfactory bass in many peoples opinion, it is PRETTY SAFE TO SAY that in MOST CASES it is basslight. A few case studies of bassy K70X don't really warrant the feeling that it is a myth.

Say Honda civics go 200KMH... but you have one thats supped up and it goes faster (better amp/source)... the person who thinks it is relatively slow compared to other cars(basslight vs others) and thinks 200KM as the limit is not wrong, the just happen to be wrong in that one situation. Hardly enough to warrant reclassifying the Honda Civic line in it's entirety.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #92 of 164
I say myths are always based on facts; whether or not those facts have any basis in truth is another matter entirely
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #93 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-Its bright

I didn't think so. They struck me as "midrange centric" and the DT880s seem brighter to me.

Quote:

-needs lot of burn-in time

I thought they sounded better after a lot of burnin (there's nothing wrong with that).

Quote:

-its power hungry

They're not the most efficient headphones ever.

Quote:

-its lacking in bass

Taking into considering all of the headphones I've ever heard, it was on the lower end of the bass volume scale. However, I didn't own a very powerful amp when I had the K701s.

Quote:

-it sounds "plasticy"

I don't understand this. They are built with a fair amount of plastic, aren't they? lol

Quote:

-it sounds "chalky"

That's just the K701; the K702 sounds like a grape.

Quote:

-it has cheap cables

Seemed to be an average stock cable for a headphone in it's price range.

Quote:

-it can put a dent on your skull

Just do what I did - grow your hair long!
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #94 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People get really emotional over the K70X haha it really blows my mind... For whatever reason it just makes little sense to me.

Every other headphone seems to be able to be happy with "it does this well, but lacks this" -and people accept that. With the K70X it's like people simply can't accept that not everyone finds it perfect...

Fact: its a damned good buy for the price
Fact: not everyone likes it, and they don't have too
Fact: only your opinion really matters in the end, so get over other people not liking them :p

Lastly, if it has to meet such rigorous requirements to have satisfactory bass in many peoples opinion, it is PRETTY SAFE TO SAY that in MOST CASES it is basslight. A few case studies of bassy K70X don't really warrant the feeling that it is a myth.

Say Honda civics go 200KMH... but you have one thats supped up and it goes faster (better amp/source)... the person who thinks it is relatively slow compared to other cars(basslight vs others) and thinks 200KM as the limit is not wrong, the just happen to be wrong in that one situation. Hardly enough to warrant reclassifying the Honda Civic line in it's entirety.

nice post!

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #95 of 164
After owning a 'run-in' pair K701s for a couple of weeks and running them with my (apparently good partnering) Shanling PH100, I have made the following observations:

-They are uncoloured.
-They are extremely revealing.
-They will tear your ears from your face with a poor recording, especially anything with thrashy guitars/cymbals.
-The bass appears light, but is fantastically accurate and punchy.
-Build quality is average. My pair came with the right channel not working due to a broken solder joint which was due to the gymbal assembly moving and fatiguing the joint, and the little clear plastic bits are broken that conect the cups to the headband. Senns are better, and feel less flimsy to me.
-Instrumental separation and souldstage are both incredible for a pair of cans.
-Sennheisers are comfier, but only a little.
-They look very funky!
-They need to be listened to at length to be fully appreciated.

IMO they are 8/10 rating cans, the same goes for my HD580s. They trade blows on all levels. I think Senns and K701s compliment each other nicely, as when the music gets rough, I can reach for my Senns and keep listening, rather than reduce the volume or skip the track/album.

My main gripe with the 701s is the cable. I don't like the fact that it's fixed. The other day I stood up with my HD580s on, and didn't realise I was standing on the cable. Both plugs cleanly pulled out of the earcups with some force. I sheepishly plugged them back in, and they were fine (phew!). If I was wearing K701s, they'd probably have been made cordless or catapulted off my head.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #96 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by danzal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After owning a 'run-in' pair K701s for a couple of weeks and running them with my (apparently good partnering) Shanling PH100, I have made the following observations:

-They are uncoloured.
-They are extremely revealing.
-They will tear your ears from your face with a poor recording, especially anything with thrashy guitars/cymbals.
-The bass appears light, but is fantastically accurate and punchy.
-Build quality is average. My pair came with the right channel not working due to a broken solder joint which was due to the gymbal assembly moving and fatiguing the joint, and the little clear plastic bits are broken that conect the cups to the headband. Senns are better, and feel less flimsy to me.
-Instrumental separation and souldstage are both incredible for a pair of cans.
-Sennheisers are comfier, but only a little.
-They look very funky!
-They need to be listened to at length to be fully appreciated.

Mostly agree, I have had mine for 3 years and still believe I have not heard the best they can give. Go crazy on your source and feed it a great signal and amp that well, just listen.

I guess another myth is that they are so bad you dont have to bother with a good source they can't sound good anyway.

Clearshade.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #98 of 164
As a K702 user, this is what i find

1.They have damn good dynamics, just damn good can makes REALISTIC feeling.

2.They just need more voltage gain, but not so power hungry .

3.Although Bass is not going deep as DT990/HD650, it's so transparency 、 fast,and keeps enough amount,this kind of bass very suit for Jazz.

4.IMO,They are not the most revealing headphone,even freqency response not as extend as it's rivals(650/990),Just need right amps.

5.They are not uncoloured , they are Lack coloured (in the case of K702,K701 also has slight emphasis in mid-highs).

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #99 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

They will tear your ears from your face with a poor recording, especially anything with thrashy guitars/cymbals.

+1

I don't entirely agree with this one. This one gives the the K702 more credit than it deserves.
smily_headphones1.gif
IMO, it simply makes some recordings too harsh or plain dead. It's not always that a particular can is forgiving while the K702's always shows the music for what it is. That spike in the frequency response at the upper frequencies will inevitably lead to synergy issues with some recordings.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #100 of 164
One thing i should clarify as I am one of the K70X fans, is that they were outstanding with certain genres in my collection if the recording was good quality, lounge jazz, Krall, Buble, Norah, old school Jazz like Dizzy and Getz, clapton unplugged was mind blowing in its ability to put you on stage with them. But the genres were limited, and they struggle with rock, ac/dc, Allanah Myles, heavy electric guitar was very unpleasant and fatiguing. This is why I sold them, as I like to put on the phones, and bounce around between anything in my collection without feeling like I need to change phones. The GS1000 does this without fail, jazz, classical, rock all sound good, but for the genres that the K70x did well, I haven't heard anything better than the K70x yet (owned Darth Deep V3, HD650, HD515, SR325i K701, GS1000)

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #101 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJnK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS1000 does this without fail, jazz, classical, rock all sound good, but for the genres that the K70x did well, I haven't heard anything better than the K70x yet (owned Darth Deep V3, HD650, HD515, SR325i K701, GS1000)

I'm interested in your opinion on these Grados: I listen mostly jazz and classical music and I think the K701s are superb with this music. But we're always looking for something different (and better): how would you compare the GS1000 and the K701? And which kind of amplification would you recommend?

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #102 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in your opinion on these Grados: I listen mostly jazz and classical music and I think the K701s are superb with this music. But we're always looking for something different (and better): how would you compare the GS1000 and the K701? And which kind of amplification would you recommend?

For amplification, I'm using the WA6se which was a great match for the K701s and continues to be terrific with the GS1000. I used the Sovtek 5U4G for the K701 to fill out the bottom end a little, and use the Sophia Princess with the GS1000 to bring out the details. For well recorded jazz and classical, I still feel the K701 was a more detailed and revealing headphone than the GS1000. I like the details, I get caught up in listening for seperation and placing insruments on stage. Some people don't care for this... But for me, the beauty of the K701's is in the details that they reveal that other cans I've owned don't. The GS1000 is close to the K701 in detail, but just doesn't punch them out like the K701. Symbals, acoustic guitar, female voices just resonate with the K701. But what the GS1000 does do well is it makes poorly recorded music sound better, and has a slightly bloated bass that warms up the music and makes it more relaxing and musical. Its easy to just throw them on, relax in my chair and listen to anything in my collection without fatigue. With the K701, I would have to skip the occasional song due to fatigue or poor recording, not with the GS1000. In a nutshell, IMHO the K701 presents some music to perfection, and suffers with other. The GS1000 doesn't do anything to perfection, and doesn't do anything wrong, it is great with almost everything.

As I typed this, I'm listening to Clapton Unplugged on the GS1000, and miss the K701
frown.gif
but my foot is still tapping
L3000.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #104 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply Mark. These GS1000 are very intriguing :)
And I'd be really curious to listen to the WA6 as well, as I've always used SS amps. I should start putting some money away!

Oh, and by the way, the GS1000 is the only other headphone I tried so far that rivals the K701 for comfort... but the K701 is still King of Comfort in my books.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #105 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hesitate to get into this, but here goes:

What makes a story a myth is that the peoples who tell the story (handed down through the culture, etc.) believe it to be true. Very often, what distinguishes a myth from folklore is that somewhere, sometime, the story was based on a truth, but became a "myth" through the elaboration of re-telling over time.

An example in this thread might be, "A K701 has well-defined bass, but does not manufacture it in any way." Through the re-telling and re-counting in numerous Head-Fi comments, this has become the "myth" of "A K701 has bass roll-off."

A myth is an event or a conclusion that is accepted by many simply as a matter of faith. It has nothing to do with objective reality, otherwise it would be called a fact.

Just because people believe in something it does not make it true, hence what cannot be true and yet people still believe it to be true is called a myth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back