Some of the myths associated with K701/2
Apr 2, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #31 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to try a W1kX one day. It looks so pretty x___x

Never! We shall continue the off topic banter until the OP cries.

Well there are a few guys over at the Headphonic forum who would like to have a Perth meet. Then you also have Headphonic too. Lucky buggers.

Hey what headphones do you have these days?

I wish more people owned them so we could get more of a following.. I only know of one other member that owns them... They utterly blow me away every time I put them on my head... But they are my first AT.

They are gorgeous
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #32 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ms-pro, hd650, dt880. My hd650s are getting almost exclusive use at the moment, as I have noted before, my ms-pros just dont play well with my headphone amp, ironically though, my most expensive headphones are used almost solely out of an ipod xD

I've had ad900's, ad700's and ms-1s.

I have a few iems as well, shure e3c and 530pth an old ultimate ears one that I managed to lose while overseas,
frown.gif

I look to add a 701 to my collection, a w1000x, or maybe I will save up for a t1 or hd800
ph34r.gif

Honestly though, I reckon once you get to a certain level of headphone, provided you have a adequate amp, the biggest rewards and sonic differences come from the dac. I'd love to hear a buffalo one day. Maybe with custom tube output and retification stages
icon10.gif

Funny you're using your HD650s so much when they are now getting no head time over here
tongue.gif
. They are pretty well rounded though and I can't sell them.

T1 or a HD800 are on everyone's hit list but it would be a good idea to try them first
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish more people owned them so we could get more of a following.. I only know of one other member that owns them... They utterly blow me away every time I put them on my head... But they are my first AT.

They are gorgeous
wink.gif

Well if I had the cash, I'd get them
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #33 of 164
Myth: K701 sounds bad without amp.

Answer: K701 sounds nice even without an amp. I plugged it to CD Walkman. It sounds great/even greater than my Grado SR60.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #35 of 164
I just sold mine, although I think they are world class headphones when matched with the right gear... so I'll bust some myths...

-Its bright - a little, but i call it sparkle and its addictive.
-needs lot of burn-in time - mine sounded noticable better after 200hrs.
-its power hungry - Headfive, RW Amp 1, V8P, all drove it well.
-its lacking in bass - Lackin in boomy bloated bass.
-it sounds "plasticy" - Um... no
-it sounds "chalky" - No again
-it has cheap cables - worked fine for me.
-its made in china - no again
-it does not work well with tube amps - NO NO NO, WA6se loved this phone
-only poor people like it - I'm not poor and I like it
-it needs a $10,000 system - Nope
-it can put a dent on your skull - Comfy on me, torture on my wife. Go figure.

and many more...
k701smile.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #36 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Metallic highs.

I've seen that a few dozen times and I still have nfi what it means. If you call the HD650 more natural, well I don't agree at all.

- No bass.

Yeah this hyperbole seems to have transitioned to fact, according to many Head-Fiers.

- Not musical

I think it isn't very musical. However, I see people saying it without hearing it so they have no idea what they are talking about. It's just uber analytical to me. Pulling the music apart is as much a con as it is a pro.

- Horrible fit

Mate, these are pretty damn comfy. If you think Senns are more comfy, I think you have an odd shaped head.

- Terrible build - plastic. Senns are better.

Hey there, Senns are also plastic. What planet are you on?

//rage.

Hd650 is more comfy to me with it's tight grip,atleast it doesn't wiggle like a swing all the time like the 701.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #37 of 164
Odd shaped head!

Just kidding. The Senns fit like a glove and you don't have to worry about them falling off at all
smily_headphones1.gif
. Others enjoy having the headphones just resting on your head.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #38 of 164
i liked the 701 quite a bit when i finally got to try it at our meet. I liked it more than the dt880 and the HD650's. It might not have had as much bass as either of them, but i felt that the bass it had was more impactful. And for only 250 bucks, i think the thing is a steal. This was even single ended out of my protector, it sounded even better out of the SP extreme that happy camper brought with him. Which is a tube amp
tongue.gif

and speaking of the W1000X, does that thing actually have bass? my A900's roll off severely in the bass, i can barely listen to the things anymore, especially with metal or rock. Those W100X's are gorgeous too
wink.gif
im jealous. You were the one who started that whole thread trying to find a phone better than the Sony 5000's right? and the W1000's fit that?

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #39 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i liked the 701 quite a bit when i finally got to try it at our meet. I liked it more than the dt880 and the HD650's. It might not have had as much bass as either of them, but i felt that the bass it had was more impactful. And for only 250 bucks, i think the thing is a steal. This was even single ended out of my protector, it sounded even better out of the SP extreme that happy camper brought with him. Which is a tube amp
tongue.gif

and speaking of the W1000X, does that thing actually have bass? my A900's roll off severely in the bass, i can barely listen to the things anymore, especially with metal or rock. Those W100X's are gorgeous too
wink.gif
im jealous. You were the one who started that whole thread trying to find a phone better than the Sony 5000's right? and the W1000's fit that?

Haha yeah I was the one that started that thread! Yeah I would say for what I was looking for (better or on par detail (tall order I know) +better soundstage + less fatiguing/more musical + more palpable/deeper bass), the W1000X fit the bill perfectly. They do have bass... some go so far as to say it is overblown. It is definitely not on the lacking side of neutral.

My biggest complain with HD 600 and AKG 701 is the severe roll off in the bass -and why I refuse to think they are indeed neutral. W1000X do not seem to roll off. You hear deep deep down, like 20hz deep, where as with HD600/701 frequencies that low are almost inaudible. I would not say the bass is overblown, but it is nice and present. It really knows its place... shines when it needs to, sits back and lets the mids/highs performed when needed. I seem to be a fan of closed headphones though.

FWIW http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath...pdated-474846/

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #41 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be a jerk... but I owned the K702 for 3/4 of a year -I am not regurgitating misconceptions like you are suggesting... This is first-hand experience and I tried many times to like the K702... I wanted to like them, but they were just bested by every other headphone -to my hears, in a specific category, or overall (save soundstage), and I sold them.

Yes, it is has bass, but there is roll off and compared to the highs and mids, its pretty darned lean.

Too bad I didn't have a tube amp to try them on. :/

I wasn't referring to you actually with the "people don't have first hand experience." My bad if you took it that way.

What I wanted to stress was that comments like "AKG K701 has no bass" because people who never heard the K701 go on this forum and read comments like that, then when someone newer asks about it they say, "K701 has no bass" and then a myth appears that the K701 has no bass.

It's my explanation to the topic of this thread: myths about the K701.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #42 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't referring to you actually with the "people don't have first hand experience." My bad if you took it that way.

What I wanted to stress was that comments like "AKG K701 has no bass" because people who never heard the K701 go on this forum and read comments like that, then when someone newer asks about it they say, "K701 has no bass" and then a myth appears that the K701 has no bass.

It's my explanation to the topic of this thread: myths about the K701.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was not sure. I just wanted to make it clear I was not participating in second hand knowledge, like you say is bad -and it is! No worries no offence was taken! :p

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #44 of 164
"K701 has bass roll-off" = not enough amp.

Have any of you tried some test tones through a K701 with a truly current-monster amp (translated = MOSFETs with high bias or low-impedance xmfr output)? The K701 is firm and consistent all the way down to 20Hz. There are very, very few headphones that can do that. Most of the headphones that seemingly have a lot of bass usually have quite a hump around 50-100Hz. The K701's don't. They do require ample power though. If supplied with that - when the bass is there, so is the K701. If the bass is not there, the K701 is not going to manufacture it on its own.

As for amps - yes, the best combination, IMHO, is something that can sustain massive amounts of current (over 100ma Class A bias, at least). Does that mean expensive? No. The Starving Student actually fills the bill and I doubt that any of you would suggest that the bass rolls off with one. There are a number of other DIY amps that can do this, too - B22, M3, MOSFET-MAX, EHHA, etc. I bet the Head-Direct amp used for the HE-5 can power it, too. Just about any amp that can handle an ortho will handle a K701 with ease and plenty of bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #45 of 164
The times I have liked the K701 (and they have been few and far between), they have been amped by some variety of big HeadRoom amp. To me, that's a good pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back