Some HOT Science From Synergistic Research
Nov 24, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #601 of 718
So by inference the HOT works best with the headphones that his device was voiced with ie hd800 and the lcd3 and with their cable provided?

And what user instructions literature is provided with the HOT (if you recall) ie is there mention of a 7day optimal run in etc?

I think if these points were advised by Synergistic Research with the HOT device it maybe could elevate any ambiguity on correct suitability/correct application which maybe is a little unclear at present?

Don't fall for the 'he seems like a nice and genuine guy' trick.  It's still a just a 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch straight through connector filled with sand at this stage until we get the results from the electrical test.

I can see what's going to happen here - the electrical results will come back and show that it does nothing, or near enough to nothing.  Everyone who is technically minded will say "SEE TOLD YOU SO" and then SR will respond with something like "Well electrical tests don't prove anything because history has shown that products show the same frequency response before and after burn in, yet the vast majority of people claim to hear a significant difference before an after burn in."  Maybe throw in a "not all audible phenomena show up in measurements", keep talking about how much r+d has gone into it, use some emotional language like appealing to people to "listen with their ears not with their calculators", play the sympathy card, and continue to stand by it regardless of what is said and people will still buy it because "you don't know if you don't try it for yourself!"  Money back guarantee!  Don't you want your system to sound better?  Oh ok then maybe this product isn't for you.  Maybe I'll just hang out with all the cool cats over here who own one and love it.  You just sit there with your arms folded and your grumpy face on with a frequency response graph in your hand. etc etc.  Ok maybe not in those words exactly but you get my point.  End of the day, marketing will win customers over measurements every time. (well, maybe not for bigshot and se, but for the bulk of the market)

Maybe interest in this product will go UP because of all this talk about it.  No such thing as bad publicity they say.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #602 of 718
Don't fall for the 'he seems like a nice and genuine guy' trick.  It's still a just a 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch straight through connector filled with sand at this stage until we get the results from the electrical test.

I can see what's going to happen here - the electrical results will come back and show that it does nothing, or near enough to nothing.  Everyone who is technically minded will say "SEE TOLD YOU SO" and then SR will respond with something like "Well electrical tests don't prove anything because history has shown that products show the same frequency response before and after burn in, yet the vast majority of people claim to hear a significant difference before an after burn in."  Maybe throw in a "not all audible phenomena show up in measurements", keep talking about how much r+d has gone into it, use some emotional language like appealing to people to "listen with their ears not with their calculators", play the sympathy card, and continue to stand by it regardless of what is said and people will still buy it because "you don't know if you don't try it for yourself!"  Money back guarantee!  Don't you want your system to sound better?  Oh ok then maybe this product isn't for you.  Maybe I'll just hang out with all the cool cats over here who own one and love it.  You just sit there with your arms folded and your grumpy face on with a frequency response graph in your hand. etc etc.  Ok maybe not in those words exactly but you get my point.  End of the day, marketing will win customers over measurements every time. (well, maybe not for bigshot and se, but for the bulk of the market)

Maybe interest in this product will go UP because of all this talk about it.  No such thing as bad publicity they say.

Yes, I totally get that :)

This may sound silly, but this reminds me of a scenario out of a film (A Few Good Men) as in a military court scene where defence and prosecution are about to do their summing up final remarks to the jury.

Electrical test results possibley the equivalent to evidence submitted late in the trial which possibly could be the smoking gun element to win or lose the case?

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #603 of 718
The tin-eared teckies have spoken . . . and spoken . . . and spoken . . .
Let us ignorant peons swoon in deference before these self-assured and self-described know-it-alls.
After all, the ART of listening is nothing more than "pure" SCIENCE, is it not?
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #604 of 718
Let us ignorant peons swoon in deference before these self-assured and self-described know-it-alls.
wink.gif

Are you actually defending SR/HOT or just posting a cheap shot?

Or both?

Will you be buying the HOT being auctioned off after testing?

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #605 of 718
wink.gif

Pataburd, I'm not a strict objectivist like the guys at hydrogen audio.   I listen to tubes and occasionally enjoy them more than my ss setups although I know full well that fidelity wise they don't even come close.  That's not the issue here.  But at least a tube amp works according to verifiable principles that don't defy the laws of nature and their effects are measurable + if one wants to learn exactly what they do and how, there are plenty of sources available that can explain without having to appeal to mumbo-jumbo.  With my understanding of how electricity works, this gadget doesn't seem to do anything at all except transfer 300 USD from the buyer's account to the sellers'.  

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #606 of 718

Are you actually defending SR/HOT or just posting a cheap shot?

Or both?

Will you be buying the HOT being auctioned off after testing?

Maybe a bit of both.  But no cheaper than the manifold salvos of cheap-shots already launched.
I am surprised that Synegistic Research has not already weighed in on the dispute with a rational defense--or have they already(?)--I haven't read the entire thread yet.
I may buy the test model, if the price is right! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

But I am also on the verge of buying a HOT on trial simply to gain some traction on this thread.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #607 of 718

Pataburd, I'm not a strict objectivist like the guys at hydrogen audio.   I listen to tubes and occasionally enjoy them more than my ss setups although I know full well that fidelity wise they don't even come close.  That's not the issue here.  But at least a tube amp works according to verifiable principles that don't defy the laws of nature and their effects are measurable + if one wants to learn exactly what they do and how, there are plenty of sources available that can explain without having to appeal to mumbo-jumbo.  With my understanding of how electricity works, this gadget doesn't seem to do anything at all except transfer 300 USD from the buyer's account to the sellers'.  

Have all the constituent materials been assayed?
Until I see definitive results from a spectral analysis, et al, what is being passed off  as "science" on this flame-throwers' dream thread is little more than the mumbo jumbo it [the thread] claims to be demystifying.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #608 of 718
Maybe a bit of both.
I am surprised that Synegistic Research has not already weighed in on the dispute with a rational defense.

After reading this thread, you're buying a HOT? As to why SR hasn't weighed in with a rational defense, the answer is obvious - there is no rational defense.

You seem to have posted for no reason other than to insult those who actually understand the "science of mechanics" of the HOT. Not a good look, paticularly in Sound Science.

Tell you what though - I'll sell you a product that does everything the HOT "does" for half the price.... I'll even put it in my freezer for a night if you prefer yours "cryogenically treated"....

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #609 of 718
Until I see definitive results from a spectral analysis, et al, what is being passed off  as "science" on this flame-throwers' dream thread is little more than the mumbo jumbo it [the thread] claims to be demystifying.

Well we've already had EDX, what else did you have in mind?

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #610 of 718
pataburd,

Please do buy the HOT when it's auctioned as the monies are going to a very good cause.
There is no rational defence of a product that actually degrades sound quality, I should know as the donated HOT was originally mine and it had a detrimental affect on my headphones. 

Quote:
  Maybe a bit of both.  But no cheaper than the manifold salvos of cheap-shots already launched.
I am surprised that Synegistic Research has not already weighed in on the dispute with a rational defense--or have they already(?)--I haven't read the entire thread yet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But I am also on the verge of buying a HOT on trial simply to gain some traction on this thread.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #611 of 718

Well we've already had EDX, what else did you have in mind?

Exactly.  There seems to be a bit of hypocrisy when the subjective/anti-science crowd starts requesting scientific and analytical support beyond what has already been realized in this thread.

That and the realization that no amount of verification that the HOT doesn't work as advertised will ever be enough to dissuade some unicorn hunters.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #613 of 718

Page 24 of this thread shows analysis results if that's any assistance to pin point that specific info rather than wading through the entire thread? :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #614 of 718

Exactly.  There seems to be a bit of hypocrisy when the subjective/anti-science crowd starts requesting scientific and analytical support beyond what has already been realized in this thread.

Not necessarily.  But would someone please direct me to the salient scientific posts, so I don't have to unduly suffer the concursive banter that comprises a significant percentage of this "objectivist/scientific" thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back