Some HOT Science From Synergistic Research
Nov 17, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #348 of 718

... and of course they don't have to if that's what they decide. We'll just have to make do with silence, which has the benefit of speaking volumes.

I just posted a video in its own thread by Ted from SR demonstrating a room correction doohickey that works without having to be in the signal path. MAGIC!

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #349 of 718
well obviously we're all just jealous because they came up with several ground breaking techs that average science isn't yet able to explain.

nothing to be doubtful about.

wait till they mind probe bigshot into saying all of those are great techs and they come in peace.

you know being anti alien tech is racism right!

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #351 of 718
If I get possessed by aliens, please take a fire axe to my pod and put me out of my misery.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #352 of 718

I just posted a video in its own thread by Ted from SR demonstrating a room correction doohickey that works without having to be in the signal path. MAGIC!

Yes I'm already subbed to that thread. But there is only so much MAGIC I can take before I overdose on anti-histamines. My kidneys aren't what they're used to be.

So for my sake, and as no-one has cut that product open, I'm holding patient and with a curious mind as all the valid questions seem to have been asked already by other thread members.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #353 of 718
Ok, the results are in.

The mystery crystals are... silicon dioxide. In other words, sand or ground up quartz (my initial suspicion).

As some of you may remember from science class, silicon dioxide is a naturally occurring substance, not a synthetic. And just to refresh your memory, SR claimed it was a "...synthetic compound developed in house at great expense..."

The binder used to glue down the crystals is a silver-bearing compound, much like the stuff used to repair car window heaters.

Here are the spectrographs from the SEM/EDX system.

This is of the crystals by themselves.

This is of the silver-bearing binder by itself.

And this is of the binder and the crystals.

So there you have it. I would like to thank my friend for taking the time and the trouble to do these tests.

Next up, the electrical testing.

se

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #354 of 718
Silica Dioxide is also a type of sand. And it's the base sand they use to make glass.

Two plugs, three little wires, some silicone cement and some sand. A BREAKTHROUGH IN AUDIO TECHNOLOGY!

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #355 of 718
Ok, the results are in.

The mystery crystals are... silicon dioxide. In other words, sand or ground up quartz (my initial suspicion).

As some of you may remember from science class, silicon dioxide is a naturally occurring substance, not a synthetic. And just to refresh your memory, SR claimed it was a "...synthetic compound developed in house at great expense..."

The binder used to glue down the crystals is a silver-bearing compound, much like the stuff used to repair car window heaters.

snippage........................

So there you have it. I would like to thank my friend for taking the time and the trouble to do these tests.

se

Oh many thanks for doing this test and the public service it represents to the audiophile community. 

I would like to hear from those that say it makes a difference in sound?  What do you think now?   Don't be shy, I once believed lots of this stuff too.  I know how you might feel.  It is a chance for a big learning experience here. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #356 of 718
science is so sexy!!!!!!!!!!

SE big thank you and thanks to your friend.

given how we abuse sand usage in building construction, in 50 years this little product's value might go up.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #357 of 718
Nice work Steve and cohort(s).

I'm sure someone from SR or it's fanbase will let us know how special the sand is.  Perhaps an early return from the Philae comet expedition specially modified by SR?....

I'll bet the Synergistic rep didn't see a Scanning Electron Microscopy coupled with Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscope being used to debunk his claims. Thought he could just put them out there with no recourse....

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #358 of 718
Ok, the results are in.

This is of the crystals by themselves.

This is of the silver-bearing binder by itself.

And this is of the binder and the crystals.

se

Steve Eddy your analysis regarding the compound is false. The compound as found in HOT is man-made and not naturally occurring. Since you have chosen to conduct a campaign to libel my company on a public forum I will give you only one chance to publish a full retraction.

Ted Denney
Lead Designer, Synergistic Research Inc.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #359 of 718

Steve Eddy your analysis regarding the compound is false. The compound as found in HOT is man-made and not naturally occurring. Since you have chosen to conduct a campaign to slander my company on a public forum I will give you only one chance to publish a full retraction.

Ted Denney
Lead Designer, Synergistic Research Inc.

Rather than simply being seen as an attempt to intimidate someone, it would be more convincing if you said what the substance was.  Are you saying it isn't silicon dioxide?

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #360 of 718
Results from an electron microscope or comments from a vendor who refuses to state what the material is or how the device works.

Who to believe........

Ted, You could clear this up easily but for some reason, you won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back