Some headphone questions i have.
Feb 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tyde165

New Head-Fier
So i have recently been into the HD audio scene. I currently have a set of the Bose QC2 and QC3 headphones (gifts from grandma). But i know i can do better. So i have had a growing interest in other HD sets mainly Grado and Sennheiser. But i have a few questions regarding things i have seen/read on here. probably questions i could just search for, but ya know.

anyways first question is what is the difference in Open and closed sets? Ive seen people mention so and so brand has good open sets or good closed sets. But i really dont know what they mean by that.

and second My interest in the SR125i's has me wondering if they are open or closed?

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 13
Open headphones are vented to let some sound escape, which results in an airier and (to me) more natural sound. However, because of the sound escaping through the back, open headphones generally have less bass than closed ones because there is little reverberation. Another issue with open headphones is that they let a lot of sound both in and out, so they're not good for use in a noisy environment, or where people would be bothered by your music. And lastly, the Grado SR125is are open headphones.

Hope this answered all your questions.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
they're not good for use in a noisy environment, or where people would be bothered by your music.

well crap. that kinda sucks. I really like them too grados are just sexy to me. I planed on using them for when my brother plays his drums for hours on end or when im at school in between classes for 4 hrs. Both very loud places. lol. is it at all possible to make the Grados closed? maybe different pads/cups? Or should i just begin the search for a good closed set?

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 13
If you like sennheiser you could possibly look into the HD25, which is said to be a little more on the aggressive side like grados, and have awesome isolation and are closed backed.

Aside from the cons of open headphones, open headphones tend to have better soundstaging ability, so that the music sounds like it's coming from around you, with a natural kind of ambience, rather than from cups next to your ears.  But that is just a general trend.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Mainly rock. and any form of rock. thats kind of what drew me to the grados was they had great reviews for rock music. but ya rock for the most part, very little rap. eminem and old rap like run dmc, snoop, guys like that. Very little country. And a slow growing interest in techno, electronic.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 13
Well, as an owner, I can vouch for the HD25s being a great can for rock music. And to make a headphone closed, you would have to change the earcups themselves, which I would not recommend because the headphone wasn't designed that way - either way, the results would probably be mediocre at best.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 13
OP: 
Changing earpads does not make an open headphone closed. Open/closed has to do with the cups/backing of the headphone.
AFAIK, there has never been a closed Grado mod.

HD25-1: It is safe to call this the most "Grado-like" Sennheiser. Be careful not to confuse HD25-1 with HD25 SP (which is inferior)

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 13
You can sort-of emulate what the Grados will sound like closed by covering the ends of the cups with your hands. If you ask anyone with a grado to do this, you will notice that they sound horrid. It sholud be possible to make Grados closed, but I think it would require heavy damping.

I would say if you want to brock out sound and listen to good music, you should go with something closed. 

I dave no experience with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II but you may like this topic where it's reviewed:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Awesome. Thanks for the input guys, its always appreciated. I will keep the HD25's in mind. They are a wee bit over my current spending limit even used ones. 150 - 160 is the max i can go right now.

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 13
You might want to consider IEMs if you're going to be on the run that much.  I personally got a set of grados and was shocked by how quiet the house has to be in order to use them without blasting my ear drums.  Do you have any preference in sound?  Lots of bass, very forwards mids, mostly highs?

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 13
well more bass is fun but not needed. Something more on the balanced side is preferred. Maybe just a little bit heavy on the bass for when i do listen to the rap or electronic stuff, but thats very seldom. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
You can sort-of emulate what the Grados will sound like closed by covering the ends of the cups with your hands. If you ask anyone with a grado to do this, you will notice that they sound horrid. 

Yeah, I've done that to see what it sounded like before. They sound like Grados in a tin can. I think you'd totally lose the "Grado sound" by trying to close them somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back