[Solved] Want to Control Speakers/Sub and Headphones Through Separate Volume Control, Not Windows - Looking for DAC/Headphone Amp/Preamp Combo
Nov 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #61 of 64
I'm not fluent in the culture of Head-Fi. I'm a newb. '^_^

Everyone starts somewhere, and admittedly that smiley's actual creation is before my time as well. Head-Fi has been here for a while.

​I read an article long ago that it took a lot of time, money, and research to develop the first blue LED. The author concluded the attitude was, "they spent all this money creating them, might as well use them!" I call BS, because you really think companies cared how much it took to develop blue LEDs? But red, green, and blue (or blue plus a phosphorescent coating) make white light, so blue LEDs are a necessary evil. They just don't need to be everywhere!

I agree with you on calling BS - probably more likely someone did it first, and everyone is copying it for whatever reason.

In a word...yes. Sometimes I fall asleep with the computer on or I walk away from an unplanned extended period of time. My computer has a sleep timer, so I don't have to worry about this usually, unless I've changed the power profile. Yes, I would prefer an IC to do this for me when the situation arises. I am that lazy. ^_^

:tongue_smile:

​I did say, "maybe if it uses multiple graphics cards." I know it's entirely possible for a computer to use 1 KW, but most computers won't. The example you've cited is an extreme example of a gaming computer.

Anything worth doing is worth over doing, haha.

​I've not heard about this, but it's been years since I had to buy a PSU, so I'm not going to argue. I will have to look into this and get back to you. Although, the 80+ rating is very misleading. You need to look at the hard numbers, like JohnnyGuru gives to make an informed choice on efficiency.

Honestly 80+ has been, on the whole, a pretty good thing imho - very few units actually fully fail their specified rating, especially under the new "colors" or "metals" system, and everything is a lot more efficient than it was just a few years ago. Apart from the notoriously awful quality units (e.g. Deer) overall quality has improved a lot too - what you can get for ~$50 these days is just staggering, especially if you go back a few years and consider what used to cost $100+.

​I always wondered why the sub got the power cord. I too have this connectivity problem you speak of. I felt it was strange to have the signal go from the speakers to the sub. It feels like it should be the reverse, if it has to be chained at all. Your suggestion of the crossover solves that as well as the crossover problem itself. A lot of the decline of PC audio has to do with Microsoft not supporting hardware audio processing after XP. Apparently, 90% of the problems people reported in XP were audio-related.

Let me bluntly fix that: 90% of the problems people reported [with audio] in XP were Creative Labs related. :p

Honestly I think it's fair to say that Creative's history of just dreadful drivers and litigious territoriality is what killed hardware audio, and it probably would've happened sooner if the rest of the machine could've gotten there, performance wise, sooner. This isn't to say the hardware underlying a lot of Sound Blaster cards is bad (it isn't, at least on newer ones), but the driver support is just so awful in many cases - honestly I gave up on EAX years ago, despite still using Sound Blaster cards in some of my machines through to present - the constant game crashes, audio drop-outs, instability, etc was just too much of a pain. Nobody else really touched hardware audio in as big a way as Creative, especially after the Aureal thing, largely because of how sue-happy Creative was back in the day. This also isn't to say software audio is bad thing - honestly I would say its been to everyone's benefit in recent years because it lets the hardware people concentrate on good hardware and use a bundled, generic driver that is well supported and documented, and then you have a common software platform that does audio and it just licences out to a lot of places (e.g. Wwise) and is itself well documented and supported. Everything gets towards that "just works" status. Which is a lot nicer than the bad old days of trying to get whatever to recognize, play nice with, etc your Sound Blaster under Windows or DOS. :ph34r:

​Hahahaha!!!!! When you put it this way, it makes perfect sense. ^o^
  • Strip off features of a card
  • ​Add some hi-fi improvements
  • ​Slap "audiophile" on packaging
  • ​Charge more money for stripped down version of card

Yep. Sad to say, but this really does happen.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, but the packaging for the STX even says, "124 dB SNR / Headphone amp card for Audiophiles." They knew exactly what they were doing in the Asus marketing department.

SNR numbers went absolutely nuts with soundcards about 15 years ago, and we can thank Creative for that too. I honestly don't remember any cards advertising SNR values until around the time of Live! or Audigy, and of course then there were the lawsuits when Creative couldn't actually back up their claims, and the re-issued specs, and whoever wanted to compete with Creative trying to put up really big numbers as a "ooh aaahh" statement, and on and on. Whether or not the STX can actually hit those numbers is probably debateable - more likely they're taking the specsheet value for the DAC and going with that, and not actually what their implementation can do. But who knows - digital audio has gotten really good in recent years, and it isn't hard to get a good quality device these days.

​In my experience, regarding analog outputs, n.1 cards usually have one TRS input for the mic and four TRS outputs:
  • ​Headphones
  • ​Front
  • ​Rear
A 7.1 card would have an additional output for the sides. I've not seen a card with a separate sub output. Typically the sub is handled through the Front or Center output. I don't understand how Front and Sub aren't standardized outputs on soundcards. It's inconceivable! A receiver wouldn't put the sub on the same channel as the front speakers.

This is highly variable. Going way back in time, early "surround sound" cards usually only did quad, and that was four full-range channels (4.0). This was not uncommon from Creative, Aureal, Diamond, VIA, etc. Then 5.1 came to the PC (As in, actual 5.1 output; digital bitstreaming for DVD had been available on some cards with digital outputs, but they couldn't decode that bitstream or output the 5.1 - it relied on an external decoder to do that work (and this is of course way back in the day when everything cost a fortune); this is partly why Logitech made so much noise about their higher end Z series doing Dolby decoding for so long), and was usually done on three TRS jacks with the center/sub sharing a jack, which let them maintain some semblance of compatibility with 4.0 systems. The sub on those 4.0 systems is handled by a crossover in the speaker system itself, not on the soundcard. When Creative did 6.1, and later 7.1, on the Audigy 2 and 2 ZS/4 they moved to TRRS jacks for two of the connectors, and embedded the surround rear channels on those - only their own 6.1/7.1 Inspire and Gigaworks systems actually use that wiring, otherwise you had to buy an adapter (it was around $25; people figured out pretty quickly those video camera video + stereo audio cables could do the same thing though). Later 7.1 cards usually offered, as you've pointed out, a quartet of jacks for the front/surround/rear surround + c/sub. I've never seen a card try to embed 2.1 onto a TRRS but maybe its out there. The whole "headphone amp soundcard" is, as far as I'm aware, originally an Asus thing (okay we could argue Razer did it first with Barracuda, but Barracuda doesn't actually have a dedicated amplifier, it just was designed to bundle with some Razer headsets and their quasi-proprietary 7.1 wiring; never heard the headset but the card itself is an exercise in over-engineering and over-building and works great as a source). Of course Creative has their own now too, and big surprise we're back to 5.1 as the top-end for many soundcards (I read somewhere a while ago that 6.1/7.1 is like less than 1% of 1% of actual installed consumer systems, probably because of the physical space requirements more than anything else, there's also not a lot of content, especially if you consider the pre-Blu-ray days (and this still has its fingerprints on today, because if it was never originally available in 6.1 or 7.1, chances are it probably will stay that way)). Back in the day you didn't have separate "headphone out" on the card - you had the "front" or "line out" (lime green in AC'97 compliant coloring - not everyone followed that) which was (at least on paper) to provide for headphones OR stereo speakers. A typical system also had separate mic and line inputs (pink and blue), and then if you were fancy you got some more outputs for surround sound, and if you were really fancy some more inputs for whatever you wanted to use them for. But then you get into plugging in your high impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones and it doesn't sound very good (e.g. it probably won't get loud enough, it may have frequency response anomalies, it may clip, etc), and headphone amplifiers start becoming a serious topic of discussion (and then years and years later the big manufacturers start doing their own canned solutions around Maxim or TI or ESS ICs). I think, and someone can chime in and correct if they want, that by the time Asus, HT Omega, and Creative (and whoever else) did finally get into the world of "headphone amp soundcards" that the headphone amp market itself was already pretty well established (although nothing like it is today), and those cards ended up being more of a niche product than anything else. I say that because they cost a lot and most people that wanted a higher end audio setup from the PC already had a working solution (e.g. the "non headphone amp" cards are usually still great line-out sources or digital sources), and a $200+ soundcard has always been a tough sell in its own right. Now of course that's all changed more recently, as headphones have just become so amazingly popular and mainstream, but then again a lot of today's more popular products (I'm talking like Beats popular here) are designed in such a way as to be easily driven by most sources and/or provide their own amplification, which sort of defeats the point of having headphone amplifiers built in to everything, and of course the audio geeks have whatever solution they've come up with, which has gone largely external these days, and in some cases is designed around cans that have more exotic requirements (e.g. orthos).

As far as the receiver and bass management, generally speaking (and I'll say I can't really speak to ultra-modern receivers (e.g. the newest Atmos-era stuff) because I don't own one and haven't played around with one) they offer the ability to either output the LFE track to the mains, to a sub output, or to both. But this is a different input scenario than on the PC, because you're talking about 5.1 from DVD or Laserdisc or Blu-ray or whatever, which is mixed with its full-range channels plus LFE, and then the decoder/processor can do bass management to enable small satellites to be blended into the subwoofer that you originally have to support the LFE channel (which was there for sound effects and stuff). Kind of a "two birds one stone" solution. Not saying its right or wrong. PC speakers, by contrast, more or less assumed that a fixed crossover had to exist because the whole "multimedia speaker" genre is designed around small speakers that can fit at a desk, and the woofer-in-a-box was there to give you more full-range sound from the overall system's response. Its basically borne out of necessity. On the PC side, the most typical convention is the c/sub output as the additional jack beyond 4.0, which creates endless problems once people started ditching their canned multimedia solutions and going with active monitors or some other rigidly 2.0 system but decided "I still want a lot of bass" and try to integrate a subwoofer to the mix, only to find there's no bass management capacity on their soundcard or speaker system.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #62 of 64
Well, I bought the Rolls SX45. Now I need to figure out how to set it up for when it gets here. I know how the cables need to be connected. It's just figuring out the dials that seems confusing to me. I can't justify a preamp/phones amp combo at this time. Too many damn necessary expenses. u_u

I checked out the manual and it says to start with everything on the crossover on 0 and apply signal from the source until the clipping indicator lights, then back it off slightly. OK, that makes sense. Then it says, "set your amplifier to normal level," but what is this, the level I have my speakers and sub set to without the crossover in the chain? Finally, it says to adjust the levels on the crossover to balance everything. I would think everything would be balanced the way I have it currently, but I don't have an SPL meter to prove it, just doing it by ear. Should I use a test tones for the signal or can I just pump music through this during setup?

Dec 26, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #63 of 64
I stopped reading after pages 1 and 2, but surprised a mouse/keyboard or usb controller with knob(s) of some sorts to manage Windows' volume was not mentioned?

Such as my Razer Synapse stuff which can bind OS volume controls to the scroll wheel as an example.

Ended up here after deciding to purchase some Burson V5s opamps for my STX and hold off on a Schiit Lyr 2.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #64 of 64
My G510 has a volume control built in, but this isn't acceptable to me. It doesn't give me the responsiveness I'm looking for, and I'm still messing with the source signal, because in this setup, Windows is the preamp.Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back