[Solved] Want to Control Speakers/Sub and Headphones Through Separate Volume Control, Not Windows - Looking for DAC/Headphone Amp/Preamp Combo
Sep 28, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #31 of 64
That's only a headphone amp though. I'd still be screwed with controlling speaker volume through Windows. The Magni 2 Uber only has one set of inputs and one set of outputs. There's nowhere to plug in the speaker signal chain.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #32 of 64
I speak from experience as an electrical engineer. Your better off just using the windows volume control than putting any kind of passive volume crontrol between your amp and headphones.

You generally don't want to let Windows scale your volume, you want the full range out to your DAC.

What you're looking for is called a passive volume control. The Schiit SYS is one, although I'm hesitant to recommend it to you since you didn't mention needing two inputs, and $50 seems expensive to me if you're just using it as a single control, you're paying mostly for the nice looking metal case. I'm sure there are cheaper options that work just as well for a single control, I'm just not aware of them. People here on head-fi love reccomending Schiit products, you hear the SYS being recommended all the time even if it's not precisely what someone needs.

These are supposed to be OK, though I admit that I have never used one myself:

https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #33 of 64
  That's only a headphone amp though. I'd still be screwed with controlling speaker volume through Windows. The Magni 2 Uber only has one set of inputs and one set of outputs. There's nowhere to plug in the speaker signal chain.

The Magni 2U has a headphone output and a preamp output which is intended to be connected to speakers. If you have headphones connected it goes out through the headphones. If you don't connect headphones, it goes out through the preamp output. Then you can use the Magni 2U's volume control to control the speakers. Windows can be left at 100% in both cases.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 64
Ah OK, I looked at the manual to make sure I'm not crazy. I forgot to count the headphone jack on the front. (-‸ლ) The amp detects when you connect headphones and switches the signal over, clever. So basically I would connect the STX in the input, speakers go to output, and I plug in the headphones whenever I want to listen to them, right? So as you said, the DAC on the card is still used so I don't have to invest in a DAC (just yet) and I retain DSP for when gaming. I would need to run the signal through the sub first, which requires another RCA cable with a 3.5 mm adapter, and I would have to jack in and jack out the phones whenever I use them but these are minor inconveniences.

Any idea how the Magni performs as an amp?

Quote:

You generally don't want to let Windows scale your volume, you want the full range out to your DAC.

These are supposed to be OK, though I admit that I have never used one myself:

https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

MindsMirror already said that introducing a resistor between the amp and the outpout is a bad idea, as the amp would be driving the resistor, not the output. Please read the whole thread. It's not that long. Hell, I've even summed up my findings so far in the OP, so anyone just wandering in doesn't really even have to read the whole thing.

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #35 of 64

Any idea how the Magni performs as an amp?
MindsMirror already said that introducing a resistor between the amp and the outpout is a bad idea, as the amp would be driving the resistor, not the output. Please read the whole thread. It's not that long. Hell, I've even summed up my findings so far in the OP, so anyone just wandering in doesn't really even have to read the whole thing.

I don't think you're in any position to attempt to be condescending, frankly..  Even if you can't manage to be civil, I hope that you finally grope your way to a solution that suits everyone, though.

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #36 of 64
Read the summary in the first post and:

1) You don't need a DAC, at least not explicitly. The STX is already doing that for you. What you need is a preamp/receiver/[something] (will come back to this) that allows you to control output volume for the speaker/sub combination (2.1) including bass management, and has a separate connection for your headphones.

2) All of the above ^ can be done in the analog domain if you want, which leaves it compatible with the STX and other analog sources. You can also go to an external digital solution and move the decoding out there too, but that's really your choice.

3) "Coming back to this" from 1, the controller can technically be a passive device and you can implement bass management via crossover, DSP, etc whatever you want (how much do you have to spend? how much time do you want to dedicate to this project? how crazy do you want to get? etc) as long as the end result has 2ch analog (or 2ch digital) going in, and 3ch (L/R/sub) coming out, and a separate headphone connection.

4) If memory serves, and don't hit me in the head if I'm wrong (I don't know the newer Asus line-up by heart), the STX has a built-in headphone amplifier, so you could in theory keep using that for the headphones but again you're on the volume control from the card, as opposed to some sort of hardware solution (and personally I prefer hardware solution - possibility of software crash and volume going to 100% on headphones is enough to sell me on hardware solution).

5) Headphone volume control for above ^ can be done with a passive device as well, and will work just fine (Creative and Asus actually sell this kind of configuration on their higher end models these days). Alternatively you could buy a headphone amplifier (if the device for #3 doesn't do that) and implement it at this stage.

SO, what does this look like in implementation? The sky really is the limit and it goes back to how much you want to spend and how much time to invest. Top of my head, and if you're okay with used hardware, something like Technics SH-AC500D from the digital out of the Asus (will accept PCM stereo and Dolby AC-3 (it also supports DTS 5.1 but no re-mapping is available so there's no stereo output for DTS)) acting as pre-amp for the 2.1 system (it has bass management too, and you could expand to 5.1 if you wanted at some point), and either a passive headphone volume control (cheaper option; Koss, Sennheiser, and RadioShack have all made devices that do this - the Sennheiser one has independent L/R controls) or a headphone amplifier either running from the stereo L/R out on the STX *or* if it supports bypass thru (e.g. Musical Fidelity V-CAN) it could go between the main L/R and speakers ("but then what controls the volume?" -> AC500 can be set to 0.0 dB (line level) output for that purpose, and just turn the speakers off).

Alternatively you could pick up a stereo preamplifier with (or without) headphone output, as long as it has bass management, like Emotiva XSP-1, which will provide headphone amplification and send output to the speakers and sub. Many AV receivers and AV preamplifiers could satisfy this role as well, as long as they have pre-amplifier outputs. Alternately you could go for a passive (or more basic) stereo preamplifier (e.g. Schiit SYS) and provide bass management through an external crossover (which could also be DSP-based, and provide bass equalization, like Velodyne SMS-1, miniDSP, etc) and run the headphones again via STX with passive volume control or insert your headphone amplifier with pass-thru (I'd put it *before* the SYS so it sees the full line signal and then you're attenuating before the speakers).

Alternatively #2 you could look into something like a "studio controller" (e.g. Presonus Central Station) which will allow pre-amp control of multiple sets of speakers (plus monitor headphones) but you still likely will want a crossover to do bass management (running the sub off the line level signal from anything is not ideal because there's no xover with the speakers, and while you can low pass it, there's still no full xover to the speakers - much better to have bass management via xover where possible).

Alternatively #3 an external DAC with built-in headphone amplifier (e.g. TEAC UD-503) could provide headphone output and an equivalent line output that you could then send into pre-amplifier of choice ++ bass management of choice and then out into the speakers.

The absolute easiest, all-in-one option is going to be an AV receiver/preamplifier since it will take a huge array of digital signals/connections, provide a headphone output, and provide multi-channel outputs for the speakers + sub, including bass management, and probably a lot of other features depending on model, age, etc (e.g. it may be capable of individual channel trims, time alignment, subwoofer EQ, room EQ ("room correction"), sophisticated downmix algorithms for multi-ch-to-headphone (e.g. Dolby Headphone) or to stereo (e.g. Dolby Virtual Speaker etc etc). However it isn't the only way to skin this cat (see above ^).

With the exception of the Technics AC500D, none of the gear I'm mentioning represents a specific recommendation, just examples of components with the right ins/outs for their "role" in whatever scenario. AC500D is a specific recommendation because it can provide D/A conversion, PCM and DD decoding (and remapping), function as both a pre-amp *and* line source, and supports multi-ch including bass management (fixed xover but still better than nothing) and time alignment for 4.x/5.x systems (again not as sophisticated as brand new units, but still better than nothing) and they don't cost a whole bundle used.

Caveat: You want/request 24/192 support, which a lot of devices won't do, especially over S/PDIF (especially over TOSlink S/PDIF). In general I'd say just lose this request because end of the day it doesn't matter and will be a "forest for the tress" kind of problem to fight over. Whatever DAC you get will arguably change the sound, even if it has PCM179x series chips in it, so if whatever you get makes you unhappy sonically let it by on its own individual merits, not as a broad categorical dismissal (if that makes sense). Very little content uses 24/192 as well, so it's not like you'll be missing much (and SRCing up to 24/192 is of dubious benefit in a practical setting). However if you really want to keep the DACs in the STX working in this loop, an all analog solution will be easiest/best, because it will perform D/A for stereo line out and then you're just working on that signal for speakers + headphones (e.g. with an analog preamp, like the Emotiva) which will be perfectly acceptable too. But a lot of S/PDIF DACs are going to cap at 24/96, and older components may only give you 24/48 or 16/48, which is all perfectly acceptable for the vast majority of digital content as a single variable spec, but ofc devices will vary in terms of quality and functionality - there will be devices that support only 16/48 and sound very nice and those that support 24/192 and do not (and we're talking about what amount to, IME, very small differences overall - its easy to just kind of let this stuff "drift into the background") so basically go with your ears over the marketing specs after you've checked all of the compatibility needs.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #37 of 64
Holy crap...

I appreciate your input, but it's a lot to digest...

• MM stated I can do this, and this is probably the route I'm going to go. I just need to decide on one. I don't like the idea of the Magni 2U being my only option, so I'm trying to research this, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for alternatives to the Magni.
  • I've decided not to get an external DAC at this time. I will definitely upgrade this later though.
  • Why do I need 2 channels in and 3 channels out? Crossover isn't a problem. I've been managing sub crossover through the STX's driver, and it works fine. The M8 also has built-in crossover, but I bypassed in favor of the STX's. If by bass management, you mean the sub levels, wouldn't I want to set the dial on the sub once and then just leave it and adjust everything altogether from the preamp?
  • Yes, the STX has a built-in phones amp, but I don't like controlling the volume through Windows. I've not ever experienced a crash with the levels getting jacked to 100% (and now that you've told me about this, I'm fearful of it). However, I have experienced the screeching sound from my speakers (that I read still hasn't been fixed). I hope I never get that with my headphones on. I've also experienced a problem where the audio just cuts out completely for a few minutes, which makes me think the card might be getting old...or it could be a problem with the UNi driver.
  • MM said introducing a resistor (a passive preamp, such as the SYS) directly before the output is a bad idea, since the card would be driving the resistor, not the output. According to him, the output should be driven directly.

Alt 1) Long ago, I considered an A/V receiver, but they tend to take up a lot of space. I don't have that kind of real estate.

Alt 2) Do you mean a mixer? I thought about that briefly, but they're expensive. Nevermind, I see what you're talking about now. I think that's a bit over my budget. I'm shooting for around $200.

Alt 3) I won't pursue this right now, but if I want to upgrade my phones amp later on, this is a setup I will look into.

I haven't tested if I can tell a difference between 192 KHz and 96 KHz, but I can definitely hear the difference between 24/44.1 and 24/192. When I changed my card over to 24/192, after learning about Windows converting the signal to 32-bit floating point at 192 KHz, the difference was like night and day! Bass was richer and overall listening experience was just fuller. I will take this into consideration when getting a DAC in the future though.

Thank you for your suggestions and the time you put into them.

I don't think you're in any position to attempt to be condescending, frankly..  Even if you can't manage to be civil, I hope that you finally grope your way to a solution that suits everyone, though.

Condescending? What did you find condescending? What is so uncivilized about informing that I've summed up this thread in the OP? I'm trying to save people the effort of repeating something that has already been said. If that's condescending, then I'm guilty as charged.

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #38 of 64
Holy crap...

I appreciate your input, but it's a lot to digest...

1. MM stated I can do this, and this is probably the route I'm going to go. I just need to decide on one. I don't like the idea of the Magni 2U being my only option, so I'm trying to research this, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for alternatives to the Magni.

1. What exact configuration with the Magni are you considering? (will help me understand what kind of configuration you're eyeing)

[*] I've decided not to get an external DAC at this time. I will definitely upgrade this later though.

I'd largely agree with this - the card is already providing that, HOWEVER based on budget, space requirements, yadda yadda you may want to at least consider digital vs analog cabling, just because there's a lot of devices out there these days ("newer devices") that are designed for digital input but not necessarily analog input. But there's no requirement for a DAC.

[*] Why do I need 2 channels in and 3 channels out? Crossover isn't a problem. I've been managing sub crossover through the STX's driver, and it works fine. The M8 also has built-in crossover, but I bypassed in favor of the STX's. If by bass management, you mean the sub levels, wouldn't I want to set the dial on the sub once and then just leave it and adjust everything altogether from the preamp?

Because you're building a 3 channel system - the left/right monitors and the sub. That's three channels. If the STX offers a crossover and outputs 2.1 (which will be 2 physical connections - stereo left/right plus sub; if its a single TRS cable it isn't 2.1 and there is no crossover and it doesn't matter what the software tells you) then that's fine. There is no crossover in the sub (period) - that's a low pass filter which isn't doing the same thing. The way that works is you're splitting full range stereo one into the speakers (so they get full 20-20) and one into the sub (also getting 20-20) and then chopping the top-end off what goes to the sub. That isn't a crossover. That isn't bass management. Yes it can be functional but there's no reason to do this "cheap" or "wrong" when you can have a proper crossover that takes the 20-20 signal in, and splits the high and low elements out to the appropriate devices.

Bass management can be more complex than just a crossover (but at its more base level, that's what it is) - it can include EQ, leveling, time alignment, etc which is pretty standard fare on AV devices, but pretty unheard of on a lot of 2ch gear. Whether or not all of that extra "stuff" is of a great benefit is a bit more contentious (it varies heavily from configuration to configuration, including how the speakers interact with your room) but having a proper crossover will make a difference in the sound.

With proper crossover in place yes you'd set the gain level on the sub (which isn't really its "level" - its more of a trim where you're dialing it into the preamp's output) and then control everything via a single volume control - that's exactly where I'm going with all of my configurations, because end of the day I don't like having to turn a lot of knobs, dials, buttons, etc just to listen to music and I assume other people don't like it either. :)

[*] Yes, the STX has a built-in phones amp, but I don't like controlling the volume through Windows. I've not ever experienced a crash with the levels getting jacked to 100% (and now that you've told me about this, I'm fearful of it). However, I have experienced the screeching sound from my speakers (that I read still hasn't been fixed). I hope I never get that with my headphones on. I've also experienced a problem where the audio just cuts out completely for a few minutes, which makes me think the card might be getting old...or it could be a problem with the UNi driver.

You can throw a passive control (they cost a few bucks) between that headphone amplifier output and the headphones - you'll then just set the headphone amplifier on the STX to a relatively "high" level (probably not 100% but probably a touch higher than the loudest you'd normally listen) and then you can trim the level down with the passive controller giving you a physical volume control while still using the built-in amp. Will work just fine, and you get a software-independent "I need the volume down right now" control.

[*] MM said introducing a resistor (a passive preamp, such as the SYS) directly before the output is a bad idea, since the card would be driving the resistor, not the output. According to him, the output should be driven directly.

I am not "MM" and I don't know what his/her argument or reasoning is, however there is no "bad idea" with using a passive preamp - you're taking a line level signal (e.g. the soundcard's output) and attenuating it with some sort of pot/fader/etc to act as volume control. Lots of devices work this way every day with no problems. Plugging into a resistor isn't, by itself, a problem either - the source would just see a brickwall resistance and the signal would be attenuated (the resistor will express the "lost" energy as heat, but since we're talking about almost no current you probably won't be able to feel it with your hands) by however much (you'd need to know specifics to model exactly how much, and since we aren't talking about a fixed pad, there's no need to go to this extreme). In short, passive preamp is fine for this usage. If "MM" could share his/her reasoning (or if I missed a post somewhere that you could point me to) it may be more apparent what problem/conflict he/she is attempting to avoid (and I'm not at all trying to say there's a one-size-for-all - it's likely there's some context that we're missing).

Alt 1) Long ago, I considered an A/V receiver, but they tend to take up a lot of space. I don't have that kind of real estate.

That is one downside to many AV components - they're designed with the 19" form factor in mind. There are "slimmer" devices (e.g. the Technics I mentioned, and Marantz has made some thin AV receivers), but that's still not going to be "alarm clock size" or "coke can size" so it may as well be the size of a dump truck if that's the form factor you're after. Fortunately it isn't the only option here.

Alt 2) Do you mean a mixer? I thought about that briefly, but they're expensive. Nevermind, I see what you're talking about now. I think that's a bit over my budget. I'm shooting for around $200.

Most mixers won't do bass management but otherwise yeah that could work too, and there's some very compact models from Behringer, Alesis, etc that might actually be worth looking at if you don't mind adding a crossover downstream for the speakers. No guarantees their built-in headphone amp is worth anything, but there's always the STX for that.

For around $200, and I know the size may be an issue, you could throw the AC500 on the digital out and hook the speakers up to that for 2.1 and then grab a Koss VC20 (or some equivalent) for the headphone output to have its own controller, and still probably have $100 left in your pocket. However if the AC500 is too big to fit that's out then. Did a bit of looking and here's something that fits $200 and is small:
https://www.amazon.com/rolls-SX45-Tiny-Stereo-Crossover/dp/B00102VWJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475218146&sr=8-2&keywords=stereo+crossover

Throw the SYS in front of it, so it goes STX L/R out -> SYS (there's your volume control) -> Rolls box. From the Rolls Box "High" output you connect your speakers, and the "Low Mono" will go into the subwoofer, and you'll set the crossover point somewhere low (like 60 or 90) and dial the input/levels to something that sounds matched. Gives you a lot of configuration options and is compact. If you want to add a stand-alone headphone amplifier you could put something with pass-thru between the STX and the SYS (so that its an unattenuated signal) OR get Y-splitter and have the SYS and the headphone amp in parallel OR use digital out from the STX into a DAC (which then feeds an amp) or DAC+amp combo.

Alt 3) I won't pursue this right now, but if I want to upgrade my phones amp later on, this is a setup I will look into.

Fair enough.

I haven't tested if I can tell a difference between 192 KHz and 96 KHz, but I can definitely hear the difference between 24/44.1 and 24/192. When I changed my card over to 24/192, after learning about Windows converting the signal to 32-bit floating point at 192 KHz, the difference was like night and day! Bass was richer and overall listening experience was just fuller. I will take this into consideration when getting a DAC in the future though.

If you're doing SRC from whatever your actual playback is (for sake of example lets say you're feeding 16/44.1), what you're likely hearing as a "night and difference" is the SRC algorithm at work, not actually a difference in the encoding quality (in other words, its doing something different (maybe better maybe not, but noticeably different, and you're able to pick a preference one way or the other - think more Coke vs Pepsi) when its converting from one to the other). 44.1k is able to fully encapsulate the audible range (it has 22khz of bandwidth) so higher sampling rates are of debateable benefit for playback, and ditto for 16-bit and having appropriate dynamic range. There are good practical arguments for running systems that support 24-bit in 24-bit all the time, usually along the lines of getting their ideal dynamic range performance (even with 16-bit material), but in terms of whats actually coming off the disc/file it isn't going to be as dramatic a difference. Hope that makes sense.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #39 of 64
Per MindsMirror's suggestion, the Magni would go after the STX and in turn, would directly drive the speakers and phones:
PC --> Essence STX RCA --> Magni 2U (Pre Out) --> Sub --> Speakers
                                                     |
      Essence STX 6.4 mm --> Magni 2U (Phones) --> Headphones

I assume I would run to the sub first in this setup (depending on cable lengths available) but the A5 still only has that 3.5 mm for an input. The STX would only be used as a DAC and for DSP in this setup.

I'd largely agree with this - the card is already providing that, HOWEVER based on budget, space requirements, yadda yadda you may want to at least consider digital vs analog cabling, just because there's a lot of devices out there these days ("newer devices") that are designed for digital input but not necessarily analog input. But there's no requirement for a DAC.

How can you have a digital input without requiring a DAC? It has to be converted to analog at some point in the chain.

Because you're building a 3 channel system - the left/right monitors and the sub. That's three channels. If the STX offers a crossover and outputs 2.1 (which will be 2 physical connections - stereo left/right plus sub; if its a single TRS cable it isn't 2.1 and there is no crossover and it doesn't matter what the software tells you) then that's fine. There is no crossover in the sub (period) - that's a low pass filter which isn't doing the same thing. The way that works is you're splitting full range stereo one into the speakers (so they get full 20-20) and one into the sub (also getting 20-20) and then chopping the top-end off what goes to the sub. That isn't a crossover. That isn't bass management. Yes it can be functional but there's no reason to do this "cheap" or "wrong" when you can have a proper crossover that takes the 20-20 signal in, and splits the high and low elements out to the appropriate devices.

Ah OK, now I understand. So I don't have 2.1. That makes sense, since I can hear mids coming out of the sub. I always wondered why that was. So I would need another connection from the source (the STX) to the sub for it to be 2.1, right? I couldn't run the signal to the sub first and then the TRS on the speakers and have 2.1? The STX only has one stereo RCA out, plus the phones 6.4 mm. The only other output is the SPDIF. What is meant by "20-20?" The sub says it has crossover. It's marked "crossover" on the back of the sub. I think even the manual describes it as a crossover circuit. I have a switch that I can flick to bypass it. I'll try this out and see if there's a difference, but you said this isn't a crossover, so I anticipate it won't.

You can throw a passive control (they cost a few bucks) between that headphone amplifier output and the headphones - you'll then just set the headphone amplifier on the STX to a relatively "high" level (probably not 100% but probably a touch higher than the loudest you'd normally listen) and then you can trim the level down with the passive controller giving you a physical volume control while still using the built-in amp. Will work just fine, and you get a software-independent "I need the volume down right now" control.

This is what I considered before. Then I decided to consult you guys, the experts, cause I'm an audio newb. MindsMirror advises against this.
Quote:
  Don't use a passive volume control like the SYS directly on your headphones. It uses a voltage divider, where the top resistor (serveral KOhms at least) is always in the signal path.  It works fine for an amp input because the input is much higher impedance (~1MOhms). But that serveral KOhms is very significant compared to your low impedance headphones, even on max volume, your headphones will only receive maybe 1% of the voltage from the amp. The damping will also be terrible. Don't do it, it's bad.

As I mentioned, any kind of volume control between your amp and headphone is not good. If there is any passive circuit attenuating your signal, it is doing so by taking control away from your amp. For the amp to effectively do what it's supposed to, it needs to have direct control over the voltage on your headphones, and it can't do that with a resistor stuck between them. You might as well not even use an amp at all, it defeats the whole purpose, it's taking away any benefit of using an amp in the first place.

As I see it, you either have to use your headphones directly with the STX and low Windows volume, or buy an external amp. And as PM said, if your gonna buy an amp, you might as well get one with a preamp out to solve the speaker sensitivity issue as well. Although I don't recall if you mentioned, is noise actually an audible problem with the STX at low windows volume? There's nothing wrong with low windows volume if it doesn't introduce audible noise.

I speak from experience as an electrical engineer. Your better off just using the windows volume control than putting any kind of passive volume crontrol between your amp and headphones.

That is one downside to many AV components - they're designed with the 19" form factor in mind. There are "slimmer" devices (e.g. the Technics I mentioned, and Marantz has made some thin AV receivers), but that's still not going to be "alarm clock size" or "coke can size" so it may as well be the size of a dump truck if that's the form factor you're after. Fortunately it isn't the only option here.

Yeah, audio gear is designed with rackmounts in mind, so almost everything is designed with that form factor. If there was something the size of an alarm clock, great, I can handle that on my desk. VCR size is out of the question. If I'm going to have something that big, I want it to have a proper place. I cannot provide that at this time. I could theoretically put something rack sized underneath my monitor, but then that becomes an ergonomic problem, as my chair is at its maximum height. It's also a problem if the thing expels a lot of heat.

Most mixers won't do bass management but otherwise yeah that could work too, and there's some very compact models from Behringer, Alesis, etc that might actually be worth looking at if you don't mind adding a crossover downstream for the speakers. No guarantees their built-in headphone amp is worth anything, but there's always the STX for that. For around $200, and I know the size may be an issue, you could throw the AC500 on the digital out and hook the speakers up to that for 2.1 and then grab a Koss VC20 (or some equivalent) for the headphone output to have its own controller, and still probably have $100 left in your pocket. However if the AC500 is too big to fit that's out then. Did a bit of looking and here's something that fits $200 and is small:
https://www.amazon.com/rolls-SX45-Tiny-Stereo-Crossover/dp/B00102VWJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475218146&sr=8-2&keywords=stereo+crossover

Is this the AC500?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aRQXA2J75Pb/p_133SFDX7/Technics-SA-AX7-SH-AC500-Receiver-decoder-combination-package.html

Definitely too big. I had no idea there were so many options. It's a bit overwhelming. If I start introducing a lot of components, power becomes a concern, as well as available outlets. I think I have three or four available, but I'm not sure of the power draw.

If you're doing SRC from whatever your actual playback is (for sake of example lets say you're feeding 16/44.1), what you're likely hearing as a "night and difference" is the SRC algorithm at work, not actually a difference in the encoding quality (in other words, its doing something different (maybe better maybe not, but noticeably different, and you're able to pick a preference one way or the other - think more Coke vs Pepsi) when its converting from one to the other)....

Well no, it obviously wouldn't be the encoding, because whatever your files were encoded at is fixed. What isn't, is the downconversion after Windows converts everything to 24/192 KHz from 32-bit floating point. By dynamic range, you mean how far I can turn the volume down from 100% before I lose resolution, right?

Thank you again for your suggestions. It is inconceivable to me that there are so many approaches to this problem.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #40 of 64
I'm not sure if you really need a crossover. The sub has a variable low pass filter circuit in it, that's what the crossover frequency knob is for. And your speakers response is naturally high pass filtered probably around ~60 Hz, so in theory you could set your sub's crossover to pick up where your speakers leave off without needing a receiver or separate crossover to do it. I guess it depends how you want to use your sub. I don't have experience setting up a sub and it sounds like obobskivich knows more about that than I.

Maybe you do want to have the sub handle a broader range than just <60Hz, without blending with the sound from the speakers. In that case you would need a crossover. I see no reason why a simple passive stereo crossover could not exist, which takes the line signal from a DAC or preamp, low and high passes it, and sends those signals to a sub and speaker input respectively. The only think resembling that I could find in a quick search is these inline RCA crossovers. You would need a Y-splitter, one pair of low pass to go to the sub, and one pair of high pass to the speakers, and they're fixed frequency, not variable. Again, I don't know of everything that's available, perhaps a better solution exists.

I wouldn't like the idea of having to use a receiver just for a stereo system. All the receivers I've used consume a ton of power and put out lots of heat. I tried using a receiver once with my computer system, I had it under my desk in a small bedroom and it made it so hot under there that it was impractical for use in the summer. It was great in the winter though, I could keep the doors closed and my room would stay stay warm enough that I never needed to turn on a heater.

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #41 of 64
Per MindsMirror's suggestion, the Magni would go after the STX and in turn, would directly drive the speakers and phones:
PC --> Essence STX RCA --> Magni 2U (Pre Out) --> Sub --> Speakers

|

Essence STX 6.4 mm --> Magni 2U (Phones) --> Headphones

I assume I would run to the sub first in this setup (depending on cable lengths available) but the A5 still only has that 3.5 mm for an input. The STX would only be used as a DAC and for DSP in this setup.

That won't work. At least not very well. You'll be relying on y-splitters or what-have-you; there's no crossover, and there's no good way to "loop" the sub and the speakers. Sure the Magni could work as a preamp, just like any other device, but why spend all that extra money when the STX already has a headphone amp and you can have the same-size SYS for less money? Of course if you just want the Magni then so be it - it will also be perfectly functional, but it won't replace the need for a crossover to properly connect the sub.

How can you have a digital input without requiring a DAC? It has to be converted to analog at some point in the chain.

Exactly right - sorry if that was statement was unclear. My point was that a lot of newer devices only accept digital (e.g. USB, S/PDIF, etc) just because that's the trend, and price-wise it may be no different than an analog solution. Basically don't limit your options until you have to.

Ah OK, now I understand. So I don't have 2.1. That makes sense, since I can hear mids coming out of the sub. I always wondered why that was. So I would need another connection from the source (the STX) to the sub for it to be 2.1, right? I couldn't run the signal to the sub first and then the TRS on the speakers and have 2.1? The STX only has one stereo RCA out, plus the phones 6.4 mm. The only other output is the SPDIF. What is meant by "20-20?" The sub says it has crossover. It's marked "crossover" on the back of the sub. I think even the manual describes it as a crossover circuit. I have a switch that I can flick to bypass it. I'll try this out and see if there's a difference, but you said this isn't a crossover, so I anticipate it won't.

They can call it a crossover all they want, but its taking in a single full-range signal and driving its amplifier thru a lowpass filter. That isn't a crossover. And that's exactly why you hear mids through the sub - that's "wrong" because that driver/box isn't going to be voiced up that high, so its going to sound like mud and you've got it putting out a lot of distortion (even if its being masked by the speakers). This is why you need a crossover.

A separate connection from the STX would not, in and of itself, fix this - it would be another full-range 20-20 signal. I'm not aware of any soundcard that actually can do 2.1 bass management; many can do 5.1 but for whatever reason nobody takes that working crossover configuration and turns it into a working 4.1/2.1/n.1 configuration (by contrast, basically any AV receiver/surround sound processor/etc can do n.1).

Definitions:

"20-20" refers to 20Hz to 20kHz - the general range of human hearing. A lot of people can't actually hear all the way up to 20kHz (and even those who can, it's heavily attenuated; see "equal loudness contour") - there's not a lot of musical/etc content up that high either. Used here to specify "full range audio" - you're taking a 20-20k signal out of the DAC (or STX, or CD player, or whatever) and then you need to split it into the appropriate pass-bands for the various speakers (that's where a crossover comes in) so that the appropriate speaker plays its appropriate reproduction range (because the speakers aren't actually able to reproduce 20-20k - they'll reproduce some subset thereof).

This is what I considered before. Then I decided to consult you guys, the experts, cause I'm an audio newb. MindsMirror advises against this.

Well I don't understand his/her objection but hopefully in the below post its explained. :)

And indeed it does. Using the SYS (or any other passive preamp) is absolutely fine into an amplifier (which is what I'm suggesting) and MindsMirror isn't diasgreeing with that. What MindsMirror *is* diasgreeing with is hooking SYS up between a headphone amplifier's output and a pair of headphones, which I'd agree with, because SYS isn't designed for that. I don't want to start a big fight but "damping factor" is just marketing run amok, and while it was largely put to bed in the 1970s for speaker systems, it's come back around again with headphones because like the saying goes, everything old is new again. I completely agree with using a software/digital volume control where possible, because its usually more accurate (there are quality pots that can get good channel tracking and such, but they cost $$), but if you want that tactile control there's nothing wrong with an in-line volume control - there's no loss of "control" on the amplifier's side, and there's measurement data floating around the web showing OEM solutions that work this way (e.g. Creative ZxR) have almost no appreciable difference with or without the in-line pot.

Overall I don't think I'm in disagreement with MindsMirror on anything here. :)

[rule]Yeah, audio gear is designed with rackmounts in mind, so almost everything is designed with that form factor. If there was something the size of an alarm clock, great, I can handle that on my desk. VCR size is out of the question. If I'm going to have something that big, I want it to have a proper place. I cannot provide that at this time. I could theoretically put something rack sized underneath my monitor, but then that becomes an ergonomic problem, as my chair is at its maximum height. It's also a problem if the thing expels a lot of heat.

The AC500 and similar devices don't expel much heat (most DACs don't draw that much power), but I certainly get the ergnomoic argument.

Is this the AC500?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aRQXA2J75Pb/p_133SFDX7/Technics-SA-AX7-SH-AC500-Receiver-decoder-combination-package.html

Definitely too big. I had no idea there were so many options. It's a bit overwhelming. If I start introducing a lot of components, power becomes a concern, as well as available outlets. I think I have three or four available, but I'm not sure of the power draw.

It's the box on top. The box on the bottom (SA-AX7) is a multi-channel amplifier. Power usage is very minimal (measured on mine at around 10W) which is pretty typical of many DACs - they just don't need gobs of power to do what they do (And as a result don't get that hot). Look on ebay - its been discontinued for some years. Last I knew they're around $100.

The SYS/Rolls setup would easily fit the "alarm clock size" form factor as long as you can accommodate the wallpack for the Rolls, but that's easily enough addressed.

Well no, it obviously wouldn't be the encoding, because whatever your files were encoded at is fixed. What isn't, is the downconversion after Windows converts everything to 24/192 KHz from 32-bit floating point. By dynamic range, you mean how far I can turn the volume down from 100% before I lose resolution, right?

Firstly we can't talk about "Windows" in a monolithic sense - there's significant differences between how Windows 9x, NT 5.x, NT 6.x/10 handle audio internally. The NT 6.x/Win10 family (I'll assume that's what you're using since its most common by market share) offers multiple paths for SRC, two of which are very high quality, and one of which uses a more linear filter that can introduce some spurious noise (which is arguably audible) - when and where applications call these different SRC snap-ins is not consistent, but generally applications (including Windows Media Player) are (or should be) calling the higher quality SRC that is more or less transparent. If you're taking a 16/44.1 file and playing it, if the output is set to anything but 16/44.1, SRC is happening (and that may be via Windows, your audio driver, your audio hardware - its happening somewhere) - and it's at that stage (where SRC is happening) that you may get into audible differences due to the filters used (e.g. Windows' "low quality" filter adds distortion, some older Creative cards have problems with SRC and fidelity, etc). My suspicion is that it's more likely you're hearing a difference between SRC filters than "converting 16/44.1 to 24/192 makes it sound better" because the later simply isn't true; if it's done right it sounds the same either way because the SRC should bury its noise below the noise-floor of the equipment/data. HOWEVER, you may be getting more dynamic range out of the DAC if they operate better in 24-bit, thus it would be an overall benefit to do this with clean SRC (which isn't impossible to achieve), and there are plenty of stand-alone DACs that do this internally for that very reason.

More on dynamic range:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range

No, it isn't "how far you can turn the volume down before you lose resolution" - at least not entirely. Some digital volume controls do drop bits which results in a theoretical loss of resolution, but what's usually absent from those discussions is that the output signal gets quieter, so you're probably losing fidelity (cf equal loudness) and competing with the environmental noise floor before you'll notice the drop from (for example) 24 to 20 bits of resolution. The bigger problem with digital volume controls is if you're artificially "boosting" the signal because you can end up clipping (which sounds nasty) and unfortunately some digital controls, 100% or 0 dB is actually higher-than-100% internally, so you end up with the potential for clipping if the incoming signal is hot enough (which is unfortunately the case with many newer recordings).

Thank you again for your suggestions. It is inconceivable to me that there are so many approaches to this problem.

No problem. And yes, there really are a ton of approaches here, and there's plenty that I'm probably not "seeing" or thinking of - don't consider my alternatives as an exhaustive listing of ways to skin this cat, but more food for thought to get you going in the right direction.

I'm not sure if you really need a crossover. The sub has a variable low pass filter circuit in it, that's what the crossover frequency knob is for. And your speakers response is naturally high pass filtered probably around ~60 Hz, so in theory you could set your sub's crossover to pick up where your speakers leave off without needing a receiver or separate crossover to do it. I guess it depends how you want to use your sub. I don't have experience setting up a sub and it sounds like obobskivich knows more about that than I.

In theory that can sort-of work, but in practice it's less than ideal. The reasoning is:

Neither of those F3 or -10 points are brick walls, but instead represent some sort of roll-off. There's also nothing acting as a high-pass to the speaker amplifiers, so there's inefficiency there when it comes to the amplifier (e.g the amplifier still sees the 20-20k signal and is actually trying to drive that out - just because the cabinet has no usable response at 20Hz doesn't mean you aren't paying for it anyways). So without a complete crossover it's more or less impossible to nail that "zero crossing" where the sub and speakers blend together nicely - the goal isn't just overlap, but overlap where they're both down a certain (and equivalent) amount to allow seamless transition. E.g. if you dialed both in at probably around 80Hz (and I'm gonna bet that 60Hz is probably a -10 for a bookshelf speaker) and the crossover performs roll-off on both sides, ideally both are down say -3 at 80Hz and thus the averaged response is "flat."

It also prevents the whole "mids on the sub" thing.

The other advantage to having a crossover is that you're sending a full-range audio signal into it, and its splitting things up for the outputs. Not only do you get a single point volume control ahead of that (so you only have to worry about one volume dial to turn), but you're also not having the amplifiers on either side taking the full-range signal, thus improving efficiency (you'll pull a lot of distortion off both sides).

Overall the crossover is just a better way to do this.

Maybe you do want to have the sub handle a broader range than just <60Hz, without blending with the sound from the speakers. In that case you would need a crossover. I see no reason why a simple passive stereo crossover could not exist, which takes the line signal from a DAC or preamp, low and high passes it, and sends those signals to a sub and speaker input respectively. The only think resembling that I could find in a quick search is these inline RCA crossovers. You would need a Y-splitter, one pair of low pass to go to the sub, and one pair of high pass to the speakers, and they're fixed frequency, not variable. Again, I don't know of everything that's available, perhaps a better solution exists.

Fixed solutions are fine except without honest numbers (which most manufacturers won't give) and some sort of way to verify room response, you're kind of shooting in the dark (still way better than nothing). I linked to a stand-alone, simple, variable active crossover that will accomplish this and also provide trims and such that would work too, and give you more flexibility in getting what you want. The Technics DAC I suggested (along with most any AVR) will provide such a crossover digitally - at the most basic they'll generally hover somewhere around the THX design guidelines at 80Hz, and with newer and more sophisticated models they'll provide a lot more programmability (e.g. variable crossover, EQ, etc) owing to their greater DSP power (there's also stand-alone solutions that can do this, like the Velodyne, or with snap-ins for miniDSP).

I wouldn't like the idea of having to use a receiver just for a stereo system. All the receivers I've used consume a ton of power and put out lots of heat. I tried using a receiver once with my computer system, I had it under my desk in a small bedroom and it made it so hot under there that it was impractical for use in the summer. It was great in the winter though, I could keep the doors closed and my room would stay stay warm enough that I never needed to turn on a heater.

AV receivers vary - some absolutely do run very hot and waste a ton of power when idle. Some don't. Usually a lot of the newer whiz-bang models with a ton of digital video processing tend to use a lot of power just to idle (like 100W), because there's so much computer goodies going on there. But somewhat older models can knock that down considerably (e.g. it isn't surprising to see idle at more like 50-60W). In both cases it won't come much up from idle because the amplifiers won't be seeing any loads. Stand-alone AV processors (like the Technics) cut the entire amplification section out, so the power draw is almost nil.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #42 of 64
That won't work. At least not very well. You'll be relying on y-splitters or what-have-you; there's no crossover, and there's no good way to "loop" the sub and the speakers. Sure the Magni could work as a preamp, just like any other device, but why spend all that extra money when the STX already has a headphone amp and you can have the same-size SYS for less money? Of course if you just want the Magni then so be it - it will also be perfectly functional, but it won't replace the need for a crossover to properly connect the sub.

Yeah, it would...it gets complicated fast. Well no, my problem is I want control of both speakers and phones...even though I rarely use headphones.

Exactly right - sorry if that was statement was unclear. My point was that a lot of newer devices only accept digital (e.g. USB, S/PDIF, etc) just because that's the trend, and price-wise it may be no different than an analog solution. Basically don't limit your options until you have to.

I guess that's cause you can convert the signal to analog at any point in the chain?

They can call it a crossover all they want, but its taking in a single full-range signal and driving its amplifier thru a lowpass filter. That isn't a crossover. And that's exactly why you hear mids through the sub - that's "wrong" because that driver/box isn't going to be voiced up that high, so its going to sound like mud and you've got it putting out a lot of distortion (even if its being masked by the speakers). This is why you need a crossover.

A separate connection from the STX would not, in and of itself, fix this - it would be another full-range 20-20 signal. I'm not aware of any soundcard that actually can do 2.1 bass management; many can do 5.1 but for whatever reason nobody takes that working crossover configuration and turns it into a working 4.1/2.1/n.1 configuration (by contrast, basically any AV receiver/surround sound processor/etc can do n.1).

OK, you've sold me on the crossover. This little thing could be used as a passive preamp then, since it has pots for levels, right? Which means the only problem would still be the headphones. Ah, so that's what you mean by 20-20, the frequency range.

It's the box on top. The box on the bottom (SA-AX7) is a multi-channel amplifier. Power usage is very minimal (measured on mine at around 10W) which is pretty typical of many DACs - they just don't need gobs of power to do what they do (And as a result don't get that hot). Look on ebay - its been discontinued for some years. Last I knew they're around $100.

It's still too big, width-wise. I wish I could get a receiver, but it's just not possible at this time. u_u

​OK, I probably could squeeze one underneath my desk, but if it's a heat generator, that could be a bad idea. Also, it wouldn't be very accessible under there.
AV receivers vary - some absolutely do run very hot and waste a ton of power when idle. Some don't. Usually a lot of the newer whiz-bang models with a ton of digital video processing tend to use a lot of power just to idle (like 100W), because there's so much computer goodies going on there. But somewhat older models can knock that down considerably (e.g. it isn't surprising to see idle at more like 50-60W). In both cases it won't come much up from idle because the amplifiers won't be seeing any loads. Stand-alone AV processors (like the Technics) cut the entire amplification section out, so the power draw is almost nil.

​I would've thought it'd be the opposite. You would think modern technology would've enabled manufacturers to cut down on power consumption.

Firstly we can't talk about "Windows" in a monolithic sense - there's significant differences between how Windows 9x, NT 5.x, NT 6.x/10 handle audio internally. The NT 6.x/Win10 family (I'll assume that's what you're using since its most common by market share) offers multiple paths for SRC, two of which are very high quality, and one of which uses a more linear filter that can introduce some spurious noise (which is arguably audible) - when and where applications call these different SRC snap-ins is not consistent, but generally applications (including Windows Media Player) are (or should be) calling the higher quality SRC that is more or less transparent.

I used Windows 7, so you have assumed wrong. Someday, I will switch to Linux (and then I'll have to learn how it processes audio) but I will never, ever, ever, ever, switch to Windows 10. And at the risk of going off topic, Window 10 is only the largest in market share because it was forced upon everyone. The article I linked to earlier describes how Windows 7 processes audio vs Windows XP, which was notorious for losing resolution if the volume was not cranked to 100%.

Quote:

​If a crossover will prevent the midrange frequencies from getting to my sub, then I probably would benefit from it. If not, then I could do without it. I just recalibrated my speakers and sub last night, and I found out as obobskivich stated, the crossover in the soundcard's driver does nothing, but I activated the crossover circuit on the sub and it does do something. I've determined the point where localization becomes difficult to be at about 96 Hz, so I set the dial to around there (although it is vague as only the low and high are marked on it). The mids are much less prominent now, and now that I have a reference point, things don't sound boomy, probably because mostly only the frequencies the sub should be outputting now are being put out by it. In fact, this might even affect my perception of 192 KHz vs 44.1 KHz card setting I mentioned earlier. I'll have to reevaluate that later.

​My speakers say nothing about a crossover. Their range is rated down to 50 Hz ±1.5 dB. The sub's manual said to use this as a guide to setting the filter.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #43 of 64
"Quote" isn't working right so this is going to look kind of ugly; hopefully it can be followed though.

Yeah, it would...it gets complicated fast. Well no, my problem is I want control of both speakers and phones...even though I rarely use headphones.

Without using like an integrated amplifier or something that drives both the speakers and the headphones, you'll have to rely on two components here - preamp-type-thing for the speaker+sub setup and the headphones into a separate headphone amplifier. That's why the two volume controllers are in place - one for the crossover/speaker/sub setup and another from the STX's headphone amplifier to the headphones. Hope that makes sense.

I guess that's cause you can convert the signal to analog at any point in the chain?

Anytime before the amplification, correct. There are different schools of thought as to where is "best" for this to occur; imho there's many good ways to do this.

​I would've thought it'd be the opposite. You would think modern technology would've enabled manufacturers to cut down on power consumption.

Broadly speaking they have - think about everything that's crammed into a modern AVR or SSP and they're only using ~100W to do it. Ten or twenty years ago comparable functionality would've had *multiple* rack units and significantly more power consumption to achieve similar functionality. That doesn't change that they're small space heaters when in use though. :xf_eek:

OK, you've sold me on the crossover. This little thing could be used as a passive preamp then, since it has pots for levels, right? Which means the only problem would still be the headphones. Ah, so that's what you mean by 20-20, the frequency range.

The trim controls on the Rolls are for level adjustment, so you can set the sub (or whatever is "low frequency") to match up with the speakers, it isn't exactly a volume control per se. You could probably make it work but it'd be much simpler with SYS or something else that controls the whole signal in front of it (you could use the Magni if you wanted too - that'd give you headphone and speaker volume control from one box, crossover, etc (and I honestly just thought of this while writing this out - like I said, there's *lots* of ways to do this, and my examples shouldn't be regarded as an exhaustive exploration of this configuration)).

I used Windows 7, so you have assumed wrong. Someday, I will switch to Linux (and then I'll have to learn how it processes audio) but I will never, ever, ever, ever, switch to Windows 10. And at the risk of going off topic, Window 10 is only the largest in market share because it was forced upon everyone. The article I linked to earlier describes how Windows 7 processes audio vs Windows XP, which was notorious for losing resolution if the volume was not cranked to 100%.

Windows 7 is an NT 6.x family operating system, specifically it is NT 6.1. "NT 6.x" encompasses Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1, along with their associated server versions (e.g. Server 2008) - was meant to be simplified shorthand. Windows 10, from what I've been reading, handles audio in a largely similar manner, but has integrated some newer features with later updates, which older versions of Windows rely on 3rd party drivers/applications to support (e.g. Windows 10 is supposed to better support some USB audio functions after the latest update). Windows NT 5.x (2000, XP, XP 64, etc) have to deal with kmixer, which is often regarded as less than bit perfect. That having been said, I honestly can't tell any meaningful differences from Windows 2000 on up with a decent soundcard - "just works" has largely been my experience. I think *a lot* has been made about the "losing resolution" bits by marketing types, as its a "problem their product can solve" among other things. As far as "largest in market share" - I said NT 6.x, because last I knew Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 combined still encompassed more users than Windows 10, but that may have changed.

Linux generally has two options for audio - ALSA and OSS. They have differences in compatibility and functionality, but are well documented. The biggest "loss" with Linux is that many soundcards aren't going to be as fully supported as they are under Windows (especially older interfaces that do full hardware processing, like some of the Sound Blaster cards), but more generic standards like USB audio are generally well supported. Overall there's no reason any newer-ish platform (NT 5.x, NT6.x, Win10, Linux, etc) can't achieve great sound, but the specifics will vary from platform to platform.

​My speakers say nothing about a crossover. Their range is rated down to 50 Hz ±1.5 dB. The sub's manual said to use this as a guide to setting the filter.

So assume their bottom end is probably around that 50Hz line - a crossover at around 80 Hz would probably work very well with such a speaker (setting it higher than their lower limit is never a problem as long as it isn't so high that you have mids playing on the sub(s)).. As far as the localization, that's a bit higher than THX's specification (80Hz) which is designed to minimize localization (higher frequencies are more localizable), so that's not surprising as a result. :)

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #44 of 64
Without using like an integrated amplifier or something that drives both the speakers and the headphones, you'll have to rely on two components here - preamp-type-thing for the speaker+sub setup and the headphones into a separate headphone amplifier. That's why the two volume controllers are in place - one for the crossover/speaker/sub setup and another from the STX's headphone amplifier to the headphones. Hope that makes sense.

Sort of, preamp for controlling speakers and sub, phones amp for controlling headphones. Or I could get something like the Magni 2U and have one knob to rule them all...which is becoming more appealing to me.

Anytime before the amplification, correct. There are different schools of thought as to where is "best" for this to occur; imho there's many good ways to do this.

Ah, something for me to learn about another time when I get a DAC.

The trim controls on the Rolls are for level adjustment, so you can set the sub (or whatever is "low frequency") to match up with the speakers, it isn't exactly a volume control per se. You could probably make it work but it'd be much simpler with SYS or something else that controls the whole signal in front of it (you could use the Magni if you wanted too - that'd give you headphone and speaker volume control from one box, crossover, etc (and I honestly just thought of this while writing this out - like I said, there's *lots* of ways to do this, and my examples shouldn't be regarded as an exhaustive exploration of this configuration)).

Got it, so this is only for the crossover and to adjust the sub's level to match the speakers (without messing with the knob on the sub directly). The line level will still be ultimately controlled by the preamp...what's the difference between volume and line level? You speak as they're two different things.

Quote:
So assume their bottom end is probably around that 50Hz line - a crossover at around 80 Hz would probably work very well with such a speaker (setting it higher than their lower limit is never a problem as long as it isn't so high that you have mids playing on the sub(s)).. As far as the localization, that's a bit higher than THX's specification (80Hz) which is designed to minimize localization (higher frequencies are more localizable), so that's not surprising as a result.
smily_headphones1.gif

I originally had the crossover set to the THX specification of 80 Hz, in the STX's driver, but like you said before, this did nothing. I didn't set it at that first on the sub when engaging the low-pass filter, but maybe I should try it as such. I couldn't tell exactly where localization drops off, even after several listening tests of tones. I know it's somehwhere between 80 and 100 Hz.

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote still not working nice - ugh.

Sort of, preamp for controlling speakers and sub, phones amp for controlling headphones. Or I could get something like the Magni 2U and have one knob to rule them all...which is becoming more appealing to me.

Honestly after writing that out, something like Magni 2U (or whatever other headphone amp + pre-amp device; there's many options) with the crossover and speakers+sub on its pre-outs and the headphone jack/amp on the front with automatic muting is looking like the potentially most elegant solution, especially if you don't have a lot of physical room.

Ah, something for me to learn about another time when I get a DAC.

:)

Got it, so this is only for the crossover and to adjust the sub's level to match the speakers (without messing with the knob on the sub directly). The line level will still be ultimately controlled by the preamp...what's the difference between volume and line level? You speak as they're two different things.

Mostly. You'll still want to set the sub's control to whatever approximates 0 dB (if the manual goes as far as telling you that), or whatever is "default" and then yeah you can use the level controls on the box to trim things up.

Line level and volume are separate - line level is the unattenuated signal coming out of the source; that's full-scale. The "volume control" is the attenuation applied to line level. That Rolls box also has another trim for the input to let it dial into a variety of sources (e.g. address sensitivity mismatch) which is useful too.

I originally had the crossover set to the THX specification of 80 Hz, in the STX's driver, but like you said before, this did nothing. I didn't set it at that first on the sub when engaging the low-pass filter, but maybe I should try it as such. I couldn't tell exactly where localization drops off, even after several listening tests of tones. I know it's somehwhere between 80 and 100 Hz.

80Hz is generally the textbook point under which localization ceases, but that's probably best considered a generalization. A lot of fixed crossovers (e.g. in AVRs) will be set somewhere between 70 and 100 Hz as a result, and generally that works well for an n.1 system. "Variable crossovers" have started to be popular with AVRs and other surround sound equipment these days, which often have a range of something like 80-250Hz, and that's because of the trend of super-duper small satellite speakers which won't extend down to 80Hz, so you bring the crossover up and dump more on the sub. Running up there at ~200Hz is absolutely localizable so that's a problem for the system's response, and a good example of why the "DSP will fix everything" philosophy doesn't always pan out at the end of the day - you aren't going to overcome physics. Ideally your satellite speakers will have some usable response down to around 80Hz, so if F3 is something like 65-75Hz you're probably going to have no trouble blending into a subwoofer (and if you're wondering "couldn't all channels just be setup for 20-20?" - sure, but most people don't want that much junk in their living room, and however you feel about the gendered politics of it, WAF sells).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back