[Solved] Issue FiiO E7+E9+ AKG 601
Jul 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 36
If the E09K doesn't give you more volume, then something is definitely wrong (but even if that's the case, that doesn't imply that anything is compromised in the sound quality), or FiiO released their first amp without any gain, which pretty much makes no sense, especially considering the relatively high output power capability of the E9 / E09K.

As for sound quality differences, they tend to be exaggerated, but see if you can try comparing them side-by-side, quickly switching back and forth.  It's often hard to remember small differences over longer periods of time.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

I'll purchase a stereo mini-jack to RCA cable first thing tomorrow.

I wonder if it's a smart thing (if everything works as it should) to keep the E7 and E9 for later use? I'll probably get more headphones as time passes. HD 598 is first on my list. I was thinking about getting a laptop as well, so the E9 will drive the headphones better than the laptop itself I guess?

What about the E7? I have no idea if it's even useful if the sound card in your PC is already good enough. Does it work well with mp3/4 players like the IPod touch? The battery life of the IPod Touch is something like 7 hours when watching video's, will connecting the E7 increase this with its 80 hours of battery life?

Like I said: I get more volume with just the headphone 3.5 mm jack plugged into the green audio port on my M2N-E motherboard. Does this mean there is something going wrong with the E9? Or is there a possibility that even if everything works accordingly, that my PC alone works better with the K601 than the amp and DAC?

Hopefully you will be able to try all three ways of the hookups I had stated before.
To me, I would think it not possible that your motherboard with it's low cost DAC would sound the same or better then the E7/E9 combo with it's much better DAC.
If the E7/e9 sounds the same hooked up to a different computer, then I'm guessing there might be something "defective" on the E7/E9.
Hopefully you will send off a detailed email to Fiio's tech support, they spend a lot of time solving problems with fiio products and might have some insite to the problem.
Also might just try doing a reset on the E7, then double check all it's setting afterwords.

Also find different stuff you can hook the K601 straight up to, see if anything improves the sound.

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #19 of 36
One more thought (a low shot), make sure the E7 battery is full charged.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #20 of 36
Yes! You guys are amazing! All of you. I bought the AUX cable and it sounds great. Thanks again, you too PurpleAngel. I had no idea I was missing out on so much for the past couple of months.

But does this mean that the E9 is partly broken? There's no sound when I switch to Dock in and the E7.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:
Yes! You guys are amazing! All of you. I bought the AUX cable and it sounds great. Thanks again, you too PurpleAngel. I had no idea I was missing out on so much for the past couple of months.

But does this mean that the E9 is partly broken? There's no sound when I switch to Dock in and the E7.

The E7 must be docked to the E9 and the USB cable must be connected to the E9 from the computer's USB port, for the "DOCK IN" to work.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 36
Let me ask you, what type of music files are you using? Like is it AAC or FLAC or ALAC? 320kbps files? If your using compressed music it is a lot harder to hear the difference since the music itself will have errors not the Fiio DAC.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
So having the E7 is useless?

Currently for right now, the E7 appears to be useless.
But it's weird as running digital audio thru the E7 (docked to the E9, using USB from computer to E9) should sound better then running audio straight from the computer's analog audio out (3.5mm).
Make sure the E7 is fully charged and try using the E7 by itself, connect using USB from the computer to the E7 and plug the K601 into the E7 and test audio.
Also might try hitting the E7s reset button first.

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #25 of 36
I'm still new to this so I am only using mp3 files atm (128kbps)

E9 only->Aux-in->Headphones= Good sound, 50% volume is enough
E7 only->Usb-> Headphones= Good too, pushing the volume all the way up (60) is hard enough
E9->E7 docked->Headphones= Slight noise when no music is playing; static highs every 3 seconds , turning the volume all the way up is nothing compared to the above.

E7 is fully charged.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:
I'm still new to this so I am only using mp3 files atm (128kbps)

E9 only->Aux-in->Headphones= Good sound, 50% volume is enough
E7 only->Usb-> Headphones= Good too, pushing the volume all the way up (60) is hard enough
E9->E7 docked->Headphones= Slight noise when no music is playing; static highs every 3 seconds , turning the volume all the way up is nothing compared to the above.

E7 is fully charged.

Contact Fiio's tech support (email or voice) and tell them what you have just written.
Let them figure out why the E7 and E9 are not working together.
Could be the new E09K has a design problem, might need to swap for a regular E09.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 36
I did contact fiio's support. They think it's a connector/dock issue on the E9.

I'm just sending it all back. Sometimes I hear a clipping noise in some of my music as well. I don't want to bother with it anymore.

I love the E9, so I will just purchase it somewhere else. Maybe I'll purchase the E17 with it instead of the E7.

Thanks again!

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:
I did contact Fiio's support. They think it's a connector/dock issue on the E9.
I'm just sending it all back. Sometimes I hear a clipping noise in some of my music as well. I don't want to bother with it anymore.
I love the E9, so I will just purchase it somewhere else. Maybe I'll purchase the E17 with it instead of the E7.

So if you get the Fiio E17, what would you even need the E09 for?

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:
So if you get the Fiio E17, what would you even need the E09 for?

I was under the impression that the E17+E9 gives better performance than the E7+E9?

To quote a friend:

"Keep the E9 and return the E7. Return it for the E17, it's much better than the E7. You could also buy a more expensive soundcard, so that you don't need the E17 at all. Stick with the E9 though, it's great."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back