Solidstate amp w/integrated DAC for K701
Jul 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

krisno

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am using my computer as source and right now I have AKG K 701 running on Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 powered by a Little Pinkie V3i.

It sounds OK, but separation is still better on solidstate. Tubes don't work to well on what I listen to. I am not that much of a jazz fan. The external PSU I don't like too much either.

So I wonderd, can anyone recommend me a good solid state amp for the AKG K 701 which also comes with a GOOD quality USB DAC? It must also preferbly have a integrated powersupply.

The PS Audio Headphone Amp comes to mind, but the USB DAC is cheapish, and also the thing is 'huge'. Takes up so much desktop real-estate. Is that thing still the 'best' to get?

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 11
You might be interested in the PreSonus Central Station. Read the threads on it here - it's pretty good. I owned one for awhile and loved it, but sold it off when I got pulled into vinyl, SACD and tubes. I just wasn't listening to it as much. But if you want a good solid state amp with a DAC, you can't beat it for the price.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Search is over... I am getting this.

YULONG DAH1 Mark(2008 model) DAC.

Even has digital volume control.

My god, those chinese clone's are immensly cheap. It's supposed to be clone of Lehman Linear. Can one expect the sound to be just as good as the Lehmann ???? IS the chinese clones of that high quality?

Anyone know if that DAC is good, even though its non-over sampling?

Too bad it's so ugly looking, but well....

I will sell my x-can v8 + littlie pinkie v3i 220v version.

any toughts btw?

K

(probably elvis will never sound as good as on the x-can v8, but I use the DAC, and the DAC sucks so immensly in that MF amp. this must be better.)

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Chinese government removed 'quality' from the dictionary.

Chinese products aren't bad quality. Quite often what's missed is the last 1-5% of detail.

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Chinese government removed 'quality' from the dictionary.

Wow! That's pretty harsh. You may have had some bad experiences but I can assure you there are some very nice Chinese kit out there. For instance, I recently bought a Shanling SS amp and a CDP that were quality pieces through and through.

Please stay away from sweeping judgments. It really is uncalled for.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 11
A good portion of Western well known brands have been manufactured in China for years...so as with anything with regards to where it's built and by whom there is crap and there is good stuff. It's not an exclusive domain of China to produce crap any more than saying Made In the USA is a sign of solid well thought out kit. I've had more Western made boutique gear go poof on me than anything I've bought from China of late....

The bias about Japanese cars persisted for 25 years until the 90's. The same can said for Chinese Audio IMO. It's been about 18 years since Chinese brands have been exported, they now have the know how and resources to out design, out build and out produce the West at prices we can't even come close to matching, what's more the build quality of many pieces has exceeded the best PTP work I've seen from the golden age of tubes from the likes of Marantz etc....How do I know ? I own several PTP wired amps/preamps from MeiXing (formerly Ming Da). Haven't had a single issue with anything I've bought from them and the PTP work is very very well done.

rds I think you've spent to much time in Wal Mart
smily_headphones1.gif

Before that it was K-Mart....made in Canada is no great shakes either
smily_headphones1.gif

Just my 2 cents on the subject,

Peete.

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 11
But what about the Lehmann Linear vs Yulong Dah1?

It's based on HEF188, which people say is clone of Lehmann. Is this clone just as good as the real thing, same components(a 100% replica)???

How can the chinese guys make this thing for $300, when the same thing in 'branded' versions would cost 5 times the price?

Is this Yulong chinese stuff just as good, even though it is a 'pirated clone', isn that what this thing is??

It really has everything one could want....

Will it sound better than MF X-can v8 and the dac built into it?? probably... or PS Audio headphone amp...? It just looks so cheapish, but inside is both american and japanese transistors as far as I can see.

Sorry alot, but this is what I want to know.....
K

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Will a Travagan White be able to power the k701?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back