SOHA II - Super SE Hybrid
Oct 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #632 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for grins, what trafo spec would be needed to run 2 boards at the default config?

You mean for like:

SOHA II - Super SE Hybrid - Page 17 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
k701smile.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #634 of 707
Oct 21, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #636 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeWa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NANANANANANAAAA !!

Received a greenish looking board today from Jeff Rossel
L3000.gif

Regards

So... there is a small chance that you are the second Europeans SOHAII builder? NANANANANAAA...A
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #637 of 707
I received my board this weekend and I am very excited. I am finishing up the BOM after work today.
I'll probably go with Panny FC caps because they are available for everything except the 160v positions.

Will 1/4 watt resistors fit in this thing all the way around? I already have several and I would like to keep my stock the same.

I order some 6922 JAN-Phillips tubes to start with. Hopefully they work well.

Are there any worthwhile upgrades to the smaller non-electrolytic that are a good bang for the buck?

Also, what toroid should I get. The one in the BOM is available from partsexpress but is there a suitable one that I can pickup from either Mouser or Digikey that will let me run the higher heater current later like Ferrari did? ( I think this is right )

Thanks!
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #639 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the Power Supply parts list page:

182J15

Sorry, somehow I missed that. Would this have the extra gusto that is needed for the higher voltage option that I have seen mentioned around here? I am still a bit fuzzy on transformers.

Also, I just looked and it is twice the price of the one over on partsexpress!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ewRand=8170223

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #640 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeWa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NANANANANANAAAA !!

Received a greenish looking board today from Jeff Rossel
L3000.gif

Regards

Got back from a week long trip - opened up the mailbox and guess what was waiting for me from Jeff
normal_smile .gif

......... a greenish looking board just like GeWa received
beerchug.gif

Now I guess better finish up the my BOM determine what I have on hand and get some parts on order that I need right away.

Will probably go with some inexpensive new 12AU7 types (EI or JJ) just for check out and also snag a couple NOS 5963s.

Anyone have some recommendations on the NOS 5963's?

Thanks to Runeight and Jeff for the greenish boards! Looking forward to building this up....
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #642 of 707
Thanks Ferrari. Now that I know what I am looking for I will finish my BOM.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 182J15 from the BOM is a 30VA transformer.
To run higher heater current (later) you can better go for a 50VA transformer, for example 182K15 at Mouser. 80VA is cheaper
confused_face(1).gif
The price at Mouser is much too high
mad.gif
, maybe you can find it cheaper else where.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #643 of 707
For those living in the US and looking for a 50VA toroidal transformer for your SOHA II, you might take a look at the Antek AN-0515.
Comparing to the 30VA Hammond 182J15 from the BOM, the price of the Antek AN-0515 is very reasonable at US$ 13 / piece + US$ 10 shipping cost within the US.
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #644 of 707
I have one of those, but decided not to use it because of the prototype HV perfboard not leaving any room for that transformer in the case I chose.

Just FYI, for those in consideration. The Antek over rates their voltage. Most transformers rate voltage loaded. The Antek rates voltage unloaded. The VA is accurate though.

It also is a bit larger than others.

There's nothing really wrong with the Antek, other than the voltage. With the old B+ it was pulling voltage a bit under the 60V spec'd where other transformers were coming in around 63V or so, loaded. With the new adjustable HV, it's less of an issue.

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #645 of 707
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those living in the US and looking for a 50VA toroidal transformer for your SOHA II, you might take a look at the Antek AN-0515.
Comparing to the 30VA Hammond 182J15 from the BOM, the price of the Antek AN-0515 is very reasonable at US$ 13 / piece + US$ 10 shipping cost within the US.
wink.gif

Oh ya fo sho!! I'm trying to decide on a diy speaker amp kit and have decided to use one of their toroidal transformers. Since I've never bought a transformer other than a wallwart, the only transformer companies I've heard of around here are hammond, avel, amveco, and plitron. I only heard of Antel a week or so ago (ERRORRR
beerchug.gif
), but after reading alot on diyaudio.com and 41hz.com I've found that apparently they sell quality toroidals for significantly less $ than Avel and WAY less than Plitron. For some reason most of us headphone diyers haven't 'discovered' them...till recently
very_evil_smiley.gif
Much better selection than Avel too. And to add to what holland said, you can see their loaded voltages by clicking on the red link to each model's datasheet. And no I don't work for em
smile_phones.gif

EDIT: while we're on the topic, I'm confused about the difference in a transformer with dual secondaries and a true center tapped secondary. How does it affect their ratings (voltages and VA) and can they both be used either in parallel or series? I really don't know much so I'm prob calling something wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back