SoFlo Mini Meet 11/3 Impressions
Nov 12, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #76 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I just came close to ordering a pair from pricejapan and then ebay. I resisted as my wife wants to buy me a watch for our anniversary so I have to save up.
biggrin.gif

That is an AWESOME quote!
tongue.gif
I won't tell her you said that when I meet her next month, but man that made me laugh.

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #77 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
I paid him so the clock on my 5 weeks started last week I just have to get them to him before I am in the on deck circle.

Dammit John, I was supposed to be on-deck and you were supposed to be in the hole! I have the cash sitting in paypal and forgot to pay him! Damn you and your impetuous single-guy actions! Now you will have yours fully and CORRECTLY modded before me! I'm paying right now so Mike doesn't buy a pair and pay Larry before I can even get in line. Have you bought the AD2K yet, Mike? You've been saying how busy you are, and the end of the year is coming...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #78 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
Wayne could you bring a few of the better members of your 650 cable collection?

Sure. I know that Mike wants his Equinox back and I think I can arrange to get most of the dust removed from those lovely cables by then.

Mike, if you want to borrow my AD2000 for a while, I'll be in Florida on Friday evening through Tuesday morning, and we can do the handoff. I'm then off to Chicago before returning for the meet, so you can give them a good audition.

Speaking of which, since I won't be back to Cayman after Friday this week, I need to know what to bring (besides the AD2000 and Senn cables). "Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be here all week, and I take requests..."

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #80 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
I am holding out on the mods before the meet, although I have lined them up with Larry for shortly afterwards. I thought that I was doing the group a favor by holding out for the comparison, but it actually takes 5 weeks after payment for Larry to get to the mods!
icon10.gif

I'm glad to hear that the BlackGold cans got the praise over the BlackSilver because I am going with the BG. I guess Johnny #s will have to have fun with the AD2000s while his second-class mods get done right!

And Vicki, how did you get that pair for free?
confused.gif

*edit* I forgot to mention that you need to get rid of that Zu thing because it sucks with SS amps, and is not in line with the sound you say you like. I will have my Equinox and Wayne will probably have his too. Comparing those and the G52 will be instructive. I will also bring my Blue Dragon v2 which I like much more than I would have expected. Really nice sound.

Just make sure you get the 2m length. I went for the 1.5 and regret it.

Got the pair for free by asking someone, "Can I have them?"

"Yes" to all bringing Senn cables. I don't want to give up on my 650s or 580s right now...there's so much like, but I've been living with the Zu for one month now and it's not for me (I even tried it with the ZD).

BTW, I may have a Darkvoice to add to my meager amp offerings at the meet if it arrives in time. I thought with so many K340s in attendance, it might be time to try out this little amp.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #81 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Speaking of which, since I won't be back to Cayman after Friday this week, I need to know what to bring (besides the AD2000 and Senn cables). "Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be here all week, and I take requests..."

You forgot the "remember to tip the waitresses" line, man!

I am listening to The Eraser on LP and the K340s seem to love what they are being fed. I hope these mods enhance the sound and take off some of the blanket that Johnny#s was talking about in a different context but I definitely want it to retain the same character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana
Just make sure you get the 2m length. I went for the 1.5 and regret it.

Got the pair for free by asking someone, "Can I have them?"

"Yes" to all bringing Senn cables. I don't want to give up on my 650s or 580s right now...there's so much like, but I've been living with the Zu for one month now and it's not for me (I even tried it with the ZD).

BTW, I may have a Darkvoice to add to my meager amp offerings at the meet if it arrives in time. I thought with so many K340s in attendance, it might be time to try out this little amp.

Glad to hear that 2M is a good idea because Larry seems to prefer shorter lengths and I like some room to manuever. The balanced to 1/4 adapter will give me another 1M when going single-ended.
icon10.gif

You've really got the bug bad, don't you! Meager is not the word for your ever-growing collection! The Darkvoice is another amp I have wanted to hear, so that would be cool if it arrives in time.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #82 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN
As far I understand AD2000 are flavour of the month ?
Is that right ? Are they any better than W5000 ?

thx

--G

The AD2000 has just a slight buzz amongst a small group here, but it may turn into a true FOTM if we keep spouting off about it. There really isn't a very direct comparison to the W5000 because that is a closed can and the AD is a VERY open can. As in completely open back. Even though the HD650 is fully open-backed the big round ADs have a much more open feeling. I think that the large round cans with fully open backs have a lot to do with the sound when combined with the very sensitive drivers AT uses, and to a lesser extent the lighter wings of the headband. The HD650 is a more intimate can to me, I think because of the presentation of the drivers combined with the smaller oval cans and of course the CLAMPING effect of the headband.

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #83 of 106
Quote:

Even though the HD650 is fully open-backed the big round ADs have a much more open feeling.

Meaning they actually sound open? I don't know about you, but I've always thought that the HD650 sounds like a closed headphone. Certainly more closed than the K340... and it IS closed.
340smile.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #84 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Meaning they actually sound open? I don't know about you, but I've always thought that the HD650 sounds like a closed headphone. Certainly more closed than the K340... and it IS closed.
340smile.gif

Agreed, to a point. Without the foam and with a nice cable like the Equinox they sound much more open than stock and certainly more open than the K340s. But I like closed cans, so who am I to judge?

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #85 of 106
Hmmm... I'll take your word for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #86 of 106
I got that part, where one pair is open and second is closed.
My understanding is, that in general, open ones are better.
My question is which ones are better for let's say rock music

thx

--G

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #87 of 106
Quote:

You've really got the bug bad, don't you! Meager is not the word for your ever-growing collection! The Darkvoice is another amp I have wanted to hear, so that would be cool if it arrives in time.

I don't think too much...not really. I figure it's starter system basics: one little SS, one little tube; a small selection of headphones to match essential moods; a little portable system, and one for home. It's only common sense. I probably won't even upgrade for at least six months!!!
biggrin.gif

GASTAN: Since we keep bumping into each other in different threads, I'll answer here since I'm short on time. I'll definitely spend time with the 650s and the Heed and get back to you, but it won't be in the next few days. I seem to have acquired a couple full-time jobs and the final scribblings for my grad degree are due this week
eek.gif
. Music is out since I tend to get lost in it. However, I WILL be ready to celebrate on 12/2 with y'all.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #88 of 106
Quote:

That is an AWESOME quote!
tongue.gif
I won't tell her you said that when I meet her next month, but man that made me laugh.

She's a pretty good sport. She manages to entertain numbers with some of her comments about my audio gear.

Quote:

Sure. I know that Mike wants his Equinox back and I think I can arrange to get most of the dust removed from those lovely cables by then.

Mike, if you want to borrow my AD2000 for a while, I'll be in Florida on Friday evening through Tuesday morning, and we can do the handoff. I'm then off to Chicago before returning for the meet, so you can give them a good audition.

Thanks Wayne, on both accounts. I have numbers AD2000 for the next few days. If you have them hear anyway, I would'nt mind having for a more extended audition.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #89 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
She's a pretty good sport. She manages to entertain numbers with some of her comments about my audio gear.

Thanks Wayne, on both accounts. I have numbers AD2000 for the next few days. If you have them hear anyway, I would'nt mind having for a more extended audition.

Ya, I'll hook you up. Remind me if I forget. I'll bring them with me for sure, but tend to always rush around once I'm in Florida.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #90 of 106
Quote:

Ya, I'll hook you up. Remind me if I forget. I'll bring them with me for sure, but tend to always rush around once I'm in Florida.

Cool. I will send you a pm on Thursday with my cell in case you don't have it. Just let me know where you will be and I will get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back