SoFlo Mini Meet 11/3 Impressions
Nov 9, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #46 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
I am going to have to loan you the ECSS for a week or so, In our meet conditions it was tought to point out diffences. The Heed while it has a wider stage and a crazy solid center image has what I can only describe as a Senn like veil that the ECSS does not..

I am not as gifted as some in the area off audio prose so i will describe it as with the Heed the music is good but when I have the ECSS plugged in I have more chair dancing and toe tapping going on. You are closer to the music somewhat like looking through a clear freshly cleaned window on a sunny beautiful day with the Heed I feel like the day is beautiffull but there is a low level of tint of the window.

Maybe we can trade for a little bit. I am overly fond of dark music and tinted windows (real and metaphoric), and I think the Zu makes my Senns too bright. It might be time to open up to something new.

Nov 9, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #47 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana
Weren't you supposed to visit us? Or are you waiting to show off your new amp?

I'd like to at some point, but in the imediate future it is more likely that I will be making the National Meet in San Jose. It is so cheap to fly to Florida though, so I am sure I will make a meet there one of these days.

Nov 11, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #48 of 106
So... can we draw some conclusions from all your observations???

That... the Heed will be good with phones that have a brighter sound to them, such as the Grados, and perhaps phones like the SA5000's, the DT880's, DT990's, and others that already have an almost strident sound, which need a warmer amp / setup to complement their bright sound?

But... that the Heed might not be the perfect complement for phones that have a darker sound like the Senns, which need a faster / detailed / brighter amp to complement their dark sound?

Nov 11, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #49 of 106
Quote:

was really happy to bring it home. The Mini-max, CanAmp, and headphiled K340s are the perfect first home set-up for me...just don't let me hear the Zana again.

I dont get it. Are you saying some 1978 K340 are better than K1000 or HD650 ?
Are they working fine with Heed CanAmp?
Are they better than K1000 ?
What the heck is Zana ?
Does headphiling K340 change sound or just optics ?

thx in advance for taking the time to answer my Qs

--G

Nov 11, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #50 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
So... can we draw some conclusions from all your observations???

That... the Heed will be good with phones that have a brighter sound to them, such as the Grados, and perhaps phones like the SA5000's, the DT880's, DT990's, and others that already have an almost strident sound, which need a warmer amp / setup to complement their bright sound?

But... that the Heed might not be the perfect complement for phones that have a darker sound like the Senns, which need a faster / detailed / brighter amp to complement their dark sound?

I would not call either the CanAmp or the ECSS better, they are diferent and depending how you want your music presented you will have a favorite. Any of the phones I threw at the CanAmp it made it sound wonderfull with a lush huge soundstage, good punch, and very detailed but warm presentations. I listened to Senn HD600, Beyer 2005 DT990, Grado RS1, AKG K701, Headphiled AKG K340 (3), and even an AKG K1000. I also have to repeat that I listen to my music at very low levels and for the way I listen the CanAmp was able to drive the K1000 to the point I had to lower the volume. Both Boomana and JP11801 reach that point much sooner but nonetheless they were impressed that sucha an small and unpretentions amp could drive the K1000.

The ECSS is more of in your face kind of presentation. Kind of the 2nd row at a concert versus 30 rows back. It has a lot of detail and punch. It is a nice looking amp and well whithin most peoples budget.

I prefer the presentation of the Heed, but to me the ECSS is just different. I rather listen to the depth and soundstage given by the heed in what some might call 3D presentation.

Nov 11, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #51 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN
Are they working fine with Heed CanAmp?
Are they better than K1000 ?
What the heck is Zana ?
Does headphiling K340 change sound or just optics ?

thx in advance for taking the time to answer my Qs

--G

To me there is no question that the K340 is superior to the HD580/600/650 cans and it is driven very nicely by the Heed CanAmp. The modifications made by Larry at Headphile take the K340 to a whole new level. The only way to truly appreciate it is to compare a modded to an unmodded side by side. At the meet there were two K340 which had the Black Gold cable terminated in 1/4" plug with all the internal modifications, and there was another pair with the Black Silver cable. I believe that headphone is being sent back to get it modded.
biggrin.gif

Headphile also ofers mods that are more of an eye candy and in hindsight I should have done them because the units look gorgeous.

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #52 of 106
would you say even unmodded K340 are superrior to HD650 ?
How much (aprox) are K340 worth of ?
as I am in europe it would be kind of tricky for me to get them headphiled.

Would it be possible to get done some adjustments myself ?

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #53 of 106
Quote:

Maybe we can trade for a little bit. I am overly fond of dark music and tinted windows (real and metaphoric), and I think the Zu makes my Senns too bright. It might be time to open up to something new.

You need to try my RnB G52 Senn cable at the meet. I am hoping that Wayne will have the Equinox cable as well (my old cable that I am looking to buy back). The G52 replaced my Zu cable which I felt was thin and just boring in comparison.

Nov 12, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #54 of 106
Quote:

I know you're not speaking to me, but... YES!
340smile.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #55 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I know you're not speaking to me, but... YES!
340smile.gif

I think I am going to be taking the K340 plunge soon. I'm just waiting to try them out with the ZD at the upcoming meet. Did you get that amp yet?

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #56 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I think I am going to be taking the K340 plunge soon. I'm just waiting to try them out with the ZD at the upcoming meet. Did you get that amp yet?

btw the new headphone of the month is the Audio Technica AD2000 these are amazing

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #57 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
btw the new headphone of the month is the Audio Technica AD2000 these are amazing

You got them already? The AD2000, K340 and RS-1's will be a priority in 3 weeks. Although my speaker rig, with the addition the ZD as preamp is been keeping me entertained lately.

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #58 of 106
Quote:

Did you get that amp yet?

Yes I did.
340smile.gif

There are still some things that need to be fixed/tweaked, but the balanced ins and outs are there and it sounds great with my K340's... so I am going to keep it for a month or two before it gets sent back to be 'finished'.
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #59 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Yes I did.
340smile.gif

There are still some things that need to be fixed/tweaked, but the balanced ins and outs are there and it sounds great with my K340's... so I am going to keep it for a month or two before it gets sent back to be 'finished'.
wink.gif

Congrats! Enjoy it and report back when you're ready.

Nov 12, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #60 of 106
Quote:

You need to try my RnB G52 Senn cable at the meet. I am hoping that Wayne will have the Equinox cable as well (my old cable that I am looking to buy back). The G52 replaced my Zu cable which I felt was thin and just boring in comparison.

Yes to new cables. I can't get with the Zu. Highs physically hurt me and nothing I can hear is helping the mids and bass enough to make that pain interesting.
blink.gif

Quote:

would you say even unmodded K340 are superrior to HD650 ? How much (aprox) are K340 worth of ?
as I am in europe it would be kind of tricky for me to get them headphiled.

Would it be possible to get done some adjustments myself ?

I won't say the K340s are superior to the HD650s. I have and like both for different reasons. For soundstage and crystal clear mids, the K340s is far superior to the 650s. Vocals are amazing! My choice for acoustic and jazz. I still prefer the Senns (650s and 580s) for orchestras and big, messy symphonies. I like my Darth Beyers and the K340s for rock, metal and hardcore. I have the K1000 but need a better amp to to prefer them with anything other than solo piano or guitar right now.

Re price, I don't really know as I got mine for free
evil_smiley.gif
Some show up regularly on the FS forum and I think on ebay.

IMO, the headphile modded K340 are far superior to the unmodded, and so much so that I can't imagine anyone not getting it done. Voltron is bringing an unmodded pair to the upcoming 12/2 FL meet. There will be many good ears to compare there. BTW, I'm sure Larry has done mods for European customers many times before. You could email him and ask. He's very responsive, even to my frequently inane questions.

As to doing mods yourself, there are threads in the headphone section with too much advice. I prefer to leave it to a professional. My job is to sit back and enjoy.

Quote:

I think I am going to be taking the K340 plunge soon. I'm just waiting to try them out with the ZD at the upcoming meet.

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back