SoFlo Mini Meet 11/3 Impressions
Nov 4, 2006 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Ok it's late and we just finished up a little while ago. Here are some quick thoughts.
First off the Zana was really amazing and pair extremely well with the K340s we thought they were much better than the 650s Zu combo. The Zana fleshes out music really well and a provides a great soundstage.

Mike (Tyrion) we kinda lost the bet, the Heed vs ECSS was a toss up at best with the tie going to the Heed. This amp actually was able to power the K1000s decently. The Heed had the larger soundstage and was softer and rounder. The Eddie Current was more intimate with a smaller stage but presented a more immediate picture of the music. Detail people will probably prefer the ECSS while soundstage and lusher presentation folks would prefer the Heed. Most people who own one or the other amp made a great purchase and they rate very high in the $400ish price range.
We all really liked the k1000s out of the Heed it ran out of gas with the heavier stuff but kicked ass with vocals and acoustic music.

We later jammed to some Hendrix from the TT Band of Gypsies sounded great with the 340s/Zana or the k1000s/Moth 2a3. They were very different sounds but both rocked. Folks you have to try the Zana 340 combo, it takes most of the Zanas volume but at 2oclock it slams.

We'll off to bed gotta bottle brews for the December meet
k1000smile.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 106
About freakin' time you got something posted out here for the masses. Don't you know we are just waiting at the backstage door for a glimpse, no, just a whiff, of the stars and their magic. Are you all troglodites? Where was the webcam, the live feed?

Ok, the rest of you sorry lot. Sleep is vastly overrated - lets see some action here.

<Big Yawn> I'll check back in the morning </'nother Big Yawn>

Nov 4, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218
Specifically for Grado's, which amp was preferred, the Heed or the EC/SS?

Even more specifically, which one for the RS-1's?
rs1smile.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 106
Have to leave for work, so short and sweet: Thanks jp# for opening up your home and actually assembling some furniture for our comfort.

Ditto jp's sentiments re K340s and the Zana. Mike, I have the 650/Zus, but get yourself some modded K340s or give me the Zana. They're meant to be together.

Also, ditto sentiments re Heed vs. ECSS. Listened to both with K340s, RS1s, 650/Zus, Darth Beyers, and the experiment of the evening, the K1000s. With the K340s, it was a toss up: the Heed with the wider sound stage and more laid back presentation, and the ECSS with a more upfront appeal. Depending on the music, I sometimes prefered one or the other.

I could not listen to the RS1s with the ECSS. I found the treble range near painful, and the mids were biting, but I seem to be more sensitive than others in that way. I'm having trouble with the simple addition of the Zus to my 650s for similar reasons (Coltrane's high notes acually hurt and forget about soprano vocals). No one else seems bothered this way, so take my impressions with that in mind. Anyway, 650s and ECSS were a "no go" as well, but I wished I had brought a different cable with me.

Darth Beyers with the ECSS are a definite "NO." In Miguel's, words: "it feels like you strapped a sub-woofer to your head." Too too much. Same experience with the Heed for the most part, but with harder rock (e.g., A Perfect Circle) I liked the Heed and my pretty Darth Koas.

Dang...gotta go to work. Will post more much later. There were two X-Cans there as well. All I can add for now is that I opened the box to the CanAmp at the meet (BTW, Miguel's seemed to have slightly richer bass--burn-in?, and the new CanAmp definitely has more power--K1000 surprise to come) and I was really happy to bring it home. The Mini-max, CanAmp, and headphiled K340s are the perfect first home set-up for me...just don't let me hear the Zana again.

Nov 4, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 106
"This just in" - " Details at 11"

*The cookie factor(?)*
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801
First off the Zana was really amazing and pair extremely well with the K340s we thought they were much better than the 650s Zu combo.

It sounds to me like there are people with K340 that are looking to dump them on Mike. Guys, by the way, the Zu sucks. So while your comments are interesting, they are meaningless to someone with a superior cable.
biggrin.gif
Just kidding.

I'm sorry I missed the festivities. I have to hear the Heed and EC-SS for myself. I didn't find the EC-SS to be shrill with the HP-2's. Now I have to look for a pair of 340's. Did anyone try the Darth Beyers with the Zana?

Feel free to post pics at your leisure. Or did you guys forget to take any. Sadly, I left you with no guidance. Gene, what are we going to do with this bunch?

Well, since you guys didn't post any, I will post one:

ChicagoMarathon06andClubMed.jpg

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
"This just in" - " Details at 11"

*The cookie factor(?)*
wink.gif

the cookies were outstanding an no animals were harmed in the *baking* of them. I found that the cookies added substantial bass but blurred detail while I was stuffing my face full of them

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 106
Show off.
biggrin.gif
Not bad looking 2A3 mesh plates. Kind of dinky, wouldn't you say.

You have less than an hour!

Time to bottle the brew. Remeber, it's beer:30 somewhere in the world.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I'm sorry I missed the festivities. I have to hear the Heed and EC-SS for myself. I didn't find the EC-SS to be shrill with the HP-2's. Now I have to look for a pair of 340's. Did anyone try the Darth Beyers with the Zana?

I did not find the RS1s with the ECSS shrill at all for me they were a good match. I have Miguel's here at the house so no problem doing a comparision. If I can get motivated I will do a comparision between them and post seperatly.

I did not do the Beyers with the Zana whhen I paired them with the Heed or ECSS the bass was sooooooooooooooooo overwhelming it was like strapping a subwoofer to my head
basshead.gif

For those waiting for a definative answer to Heed or ECSS sorry there is not one. To me they did well with Grados, Senns and AKGs and during our brief listens there was no clear OMG this one rules moment, except for me with the k1000s.

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #14 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Show off.
biggrin.gif
Not bad looking 2A3 mesh plates. Kind of dinky, wouldn't you say.

You have less than an hour!

Time to bottle the brew. Remeber, it's beer:30 somewhere in the world.

like Mom and Pop always said "finish your beer son there are sober people in India"

Nov 4, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 106
I wonder if I can convince Miguel to sell me his modded K340's, if he still has them.
wink.gif

The RS-1 out of the ZD is supposed to be special as well, did you get a chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back