Soekris Audiophile Line Dac's 2541, 1541, 1421, 1321, 1101
Dec 13, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #391 of 478
Dear Soekris community, does anyone know if both sockets XLR and RCA are active all the time as there is no switch between them?
The reason I’m asking is, I was wondering if I can plug in one solid state amp via XLR and a tube amp via RCA but only have one switched on at a time without deplugging the other from the DAC?

I couldn't reach Søren on this.
Yes no problem.

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #392 of 478
Both outputs are on at the same time. Can you not just turn off the amp you aren't using? This DAC isn't like the Denafrips ones where you can't use both outputs at the same time because the Soekris has a full output stage.
Hey thanks for the Swift reply. Yes exactly that was, what I was intended to do. Would just leave on one of the amps (either the solid state amp or the tube amp) and use only one at a time.

My question just aimed if I can have plugged in the XLR and the RCA cable on both connections without de-plugging the one I’m not using without having any interference

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #393 of 478
Hey thanks for the Swift reply. Yes exactly that was, what I was intended to do. Would just leave on one of the amps (either the solid state amp or the tube amp) and use only one at a time.

My question just aimed if I can have plugged in the XLR and the RCA cable on both connections without de-plugging the one I’m not using without having any interference
Definitely won't be a problem as the Soekris has separate outputs buffers for XLR and RCA so one does not affect the other.

Dec 13, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #394 of 478
It can be interference from ground loops of the unused device, we don't know. You will find yourself whether it is necessary. However it won't be a case of Denafrips where such secondary connection will always degrade sound.

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #395 of 478
Really impressed with the Soekris 1421 connected to my PC via the QED Reference Toslink cable.
Strange for me to think I would be agreeing with cable reviews but it sounds more detailed throughout the frequency spectrum, especially bass texture and the very top-end extension.
What has gone from mushy and boring sounding (with 5m amazon USB cable) to wider and leaner (with 5m Alogic PPMA Toslink) to even more nuanced and picking up details that weren't there before, I am really happy with the Soekris unit.. and sorry to Soren (and myself) that I didn't use it like this from the beginning!

I had an issue where the 1421 was not picking up signal from Toslink; after a day it would start stuttering and eventually cut out completely, which led me to purchase an upgrade cable.. ended up being my PC. I used SDI (Snappy Driver Installer) to pick up any old drivers on my PC (chipset, ethernet, etc, everything) and after updating and rebooting the Toslink was functional and working in bit-perfect mode! Phew!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #396 of 478
Hello fellows,

Newbie here. I have been wanting to get a R2R DAC and was thinking about the Soekris 1421 (my budget won't allow me to go for the 2541). Anyway, the idea is to use it with my Grado Hemp, using the internal Amp until I will be able to upgrade to a dedicated one.

I know it pairs well with something like the Lake People G111, but what about the Feliks Echo MKII for synergy? The result will be much warmer for sure than with the SS option.

I will also only be able to connect the DAC directly to my source (iMac 24) by USB (in this case USB-C to USB-B). I was thinking about Audioquest. Any quality option without braking the bank? I'm located in Europe.

Finally, since the USB DAC already figures an ultra low jitter oscillator, how important it is to consider a reclocker or any other option in order to reduce jitter/noise from the USB source? I ask this because budget always matters and I'm trying to understand where it is important to spend first and how much quality (higher price) is important in order to not cut in discernible SQ output. (I really don't care, for example, to spend 100€ in a cable if a 30€ cable will do 95% of the job and my untrained ear couldn't detect a difference anyway - this principle stands for every other decision.)

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers.

GLP

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #397 of 478
@glpsace. One brand: Audio GD. Starting from R2R-11Mk2 combo DAC plus preamp/HPA, fully discrete non-feedback design. No opamps.

There is an option for better oscilators and galvanic isolator on the USB port. It brings price to $690. It won't deliver peak performance, but it will perform consistently in various configurations.

A basic option costs $70 less, but it will require attention to ground loops, not everyone is ready for that. It could be a hit or miss. If you do, then it can also be DIY upgraded to ultra-low noise oscilators at a cost of ~$20. I did the upgrade, it bring a significant jump in sound quality. So, a low jitter oscilators are extremely important, but the entire design must work together.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #398 of 478
@glpsace. One brand: Audio GD. Starting from R2R-11Mk2 combo DAC plus preamp/HPA, fully discrete non-feedback design. No opamps.

There is an option for better oscilators and galvanic isolator on the USB port. It brings price to $690. It won't deliver peak performance, but it will perform consistently in various configurations.

A basic option costs $70 less, but it will require attention to ground loops, not everyone is ready for that. It could be a hit or miss. If you do, then it can also be DIY upgraded to ultra-low noise oscilators at a cost of ~$20. I did the upgrade, it bring a significant jump in sound quality. So, a low jitter oscilators are extremely important, but the entire design must work together.
That was what Soren told me when asking for the benefit of galvanic isolation in combination with Soekris 2541 (which I own):

“The dac2541 already have all digital inputs isolated, so an USB isolater would be redundant”

Sometimes I think galvanic isolation looks like a snake oil 🐍

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #399 of 478
Hello fellows,

Newbie here. I have been wanting to get a R2R DAC and was thinking about the Soekris 1421 (my budget won't allow me to go for the 2541). Anyway, the idea is to use it with my Grado Hemp, using the internal Amp until I will be able to upgrade to a dedicated one.

I know it pairs well with something like the Lake People G111, but what about the Feliks Echo MKII for synergy? The result will be much warmer for sure than with the SS option.

I will also only be able to connect the DAC directly to my source (iMac 24) by USB (in this case USB-C to USB-B). I was thinking about Audioquest. Any quality option without braking the bank? I'm located in Europe.

Finally, since the USB DAC already figures an ultra low jitter oscillator, how important it is to consider a reclocker or any other option in order to reduce jitter/noise from the USB source? I ask this because budget always matters and I'm trying to understand where it is important to spend first and how much quality (higher price) is important in order to not cut in discernible SQ output. (I really don't care, for example, to spend 100€ in a cable if a 30€ cable will do 95% of the job and my untrained ear couldn't detect a difference anyway - this principle stands for every other decision.)

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers.

GLP
I can recommend Red River from AudioQuest

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #400 of 478
Supra and Gustard cables are great performers at their price points.

If you don't have super hires materials or mainly stream, do suggest on going optical. For example a SMSL PO100 don't cost much.

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #402 of 478
“The dac2541 already have all digital inputs isolated, so an USB isolater would be redundant”
Redundant - not sure, isolators are leaky, people still benefit from a clean USB source. The first part is absolutely correct. In fact when talking about USB isolators inside DAC, it is always done after conversion to I2S, as it is easier to do.

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #403 of 478
Dear Soekris Forum,
Someone of you knows a good comparison between the 2541 and Rockna Wavelight besides the one on SBAF fom Jonah?

Does anyone tried the Wavelight and could share impressions?

Thanks 🙏

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #404 of 478
Dear Soekris Forum,
Someone of you knows a good comparison between the 2541 and Rockna Wavelight besides the one on SBAF fom Jonah?

Does anyone tried the Wavelight and could share impressions?

Thanks 🙏
I was reading the 2541 thread earlier today... https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...iew-and-measurements.10137/page-2#post-325382 (TL : DR - Wavelight is a bit more mellow but wins everywhere else. If you already use tubes or other warm gear might be good to stop using those, clean up the rest of your chain and get the Wavelight)

Torn between keeping the 1421 and upgrading to Soekris 2541, Chord Qutest, Gustard R26 or maybe the Wavelight? 1421 has gotten so much better with a good Toslink cable, I think I need to sit and wait on this one for a few months :)
2541 would be a little better in terms of dynamics and resolution but from what I've read it's not a huge leap. Qutest might be good but is a little narrower in stage (1421 stage is wide for me right now on Focal Clear)

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #405 of 478
In your case, IMO will go for a Gustard R26 next. Not only does it sound very good, It has also a good quality built in streamer as a plus (can cut down your chain, no more ddc). Look in to it. It has a thread in here (2 actually).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back