So You Think Grados Are Too Bright?
Mar 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 33
There are computer audio plugins that can add tube distortion, but AFAIK they are usually pretty crude, but still I can't see what is holding them back from competing with an analogue tube buffer.

Normal EQ can't reproduce tube coloration - it is more complicated than just FR.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 33

Quote:
Oh yeah, the Yaqin CD2, now i remember it.

Yep, a buddy of mine on another site just picked up a CD2 and loves it...pretty sure the one I bought is the current version of that model.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
I wonder what the difference is between the two?

How do you like that Little Dot I+? I really appreciate the way David does business...sooner or later I'm sure I'll pick up one of the LD products. I heard the I+ mates famously with Grados.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
I just EQ the treble if it's bothering me lol. That thing costs as much as a decent amp. Why spend so much on a buffer?

I thought it was pretty cheap, actually lol.

I enjoy tube distortion, but I've never liked tone controls or EQ'ing. Just a personal preference. What sort of products do you guys use to EQ?

BTW, I read one of your posts about Grados not long ago, and how you felt like it was the first time you were really hearing music how it should sound (through a pair of headphones, anyway). I had much the same experience, so it was cool to see yet another Grado fan discuss their first experience.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #21 of 33

Quote:
I thought it was pretty cheap, actually lol.

I enjoy tube distortion, but I've never liked tone controls or EQ'ing. Just a personal preference. What sort of products do you guys use to EQ?

Software EQ, I also have a 10 band hardware EQ but I don't really use it.

It depends on the amp really. If I'm using my Mav Audio D1 I use just the software EQ in Foobar2000. If I'm using my receiver I use the software EQ as well as the treble/bass attenuators if needed. Ironically, the Mav Audio D1 has an optional tube buffer built into it and I have it sourced to my receiver, so I can't entirely knock tube buffers. :p

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
I like how he signs off all his posts with "Very best,". It's distinguished. That and the pipe.

I need a cool catch phrase like that. Maybe I'll go with "Second best," since I wouldn't want to copy him. Oh and I don't have a picture of myself smoking a pipe, so you'll just have to picture it.

Second best,

I will photoshop your head right on there for $10 
L3000.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
How do you like that Little Dot I+? I really appreciate the way David does business...sooner or later I'm sure I'll pick up one of the LD products. I heard the I+ mates famously with Grados.

I love it! Another upgrade with audio where the alteration of the music is immediately noticed. They add such a nice warmth, and overall pleasant smoothness...I can't listen to my grados any other way now :). Certainly a steal for the price. 

I was having an argument with a person the other day on /mu/ about the LD1+, he was saying that it is intended for high impedance cans, not low ones, and that it objectively decreases the quality of the music for low impedance cans. I don't see how he thought this was true, but swore that it was. ANyone wanna give any insight?

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #25 of 33

Quote:
I love it! Another upgrade with audio where the alteration of the music is immediately noticed. They add such a nice warmth, and overall pleasant smoothness...I can't listen to my grados any other way now :). Certainly a steal for the price. 

I was having an argument with a person the other day on /mu/ about the LD1+, he was saying that it is intended for high impedance cans, not low ones, and that it objectively decreases the quality of the music for low impedance cans. I don't see how he thought this was true, but swore that it was. ANyone wanna give any insight?

Weird,

It puts like 800mW into a Grado. It puts next to nothing into a 600ohm headphone. Output impedance isn't listed. I wouldn't put a high-impedance headphone on that though, it doesn't have big power output for something with resistance. The LD1+ looks like a lower impedance headphone tube amp to me. I have the LDMKIII myself. I like Little Dots.

Very best,

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #26 of 33
Yeah. They look sexy. and sound sexy too

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #27 of 33

Quote:

What MalVeaux said echoes what David at Little Dot told me in an email. He said the LDI+ is perfect for Grados since it was specifically designed for lower impedance headphones. I'm thinking about ordering one to put in my bedroom for use with my SR80s...have you done much tube rolling or using the stock tubes?

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #28 of 33
well i immediately upgraded to the ef92's that LD sells when I ordered my amp from david so I never really used stock tubes. I upgraded to some of the best tubes as far as reviews are concerned, and honestly I doubt I'll do any more tube rolling. I may do some op amp rolling though as I still have a stock. They alter the sound of the amp but nothing really serious is changed

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #29 of 33
Nice...for the price, I don't see how you could go wrong with that amp...thanks for the feedback on the tubes...that sounds like a worthwhile upgrade

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #30 of 33
Weird,

It puts like 800mW into a Grado. It puts next to nothing into a 600ohm headphone. Output impedance isn't listed. I wouldn't put a high-impedance headphone on that though, it doesn't have big power output for something with resistance. The LD1+ looks like a lower impedance headphone tube amp to me. I have the LDMKIII myself. I like Little Dots.

Very best,

I agree with Mal, my LD I+ really does a bang-up job with my D7000s and SR80is, it's very fluid yet tight. I don't think there's a better sounding hybrid amp (or SS amp for that matter) in the sub-$200 category. Plus, you get the flexibility of tube and opamp rolling, enabling you to do some extensive sound tweaking. Combine that with attractive looks and efficient footprint and it really does knock the ball out of the park for its price point.

People talk about the specs and say, "the output impedance is too low @8 ohms, you don't have enough damping factor for low impedance cans", blah, blah. Listen, numbers don't relay how well this amp drives Denons, Grados, or any of the other sub-80 ohm headphones I own (quite a few, see my profile). There isn't a "lemon" pairing with any of them, it's a gem. Heck, it even drives my HE-6s fairly well. Yeah, that's a shocker. :blink: Now, it doesn't do it with the precision or definition of my M2A, or even my EF-5. But, hello, it's a $140 amp the size of a box of Pop-tarts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back