So You Think Grados Are Too Bright?
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #32 of 33
Only heard the O2 once, like most SS amps it seemed neutral. I didn't notice any coloration and it was quiet enough. It did offer a decent amount of power for its size and is nice for the price. I'm not a believer that SS amps have sound signature differences, they either give enough juice or they don't. My issue with the O2 is that I hate having the input in the front, that's the main reason I didn't buy one. But that's a personal preference.

Having a cool little hybrid where the sound can be tweaked with tube swaps is pretty sweet, however. Also, there's the visual aesthetic of seeing the glowing tubes. You just can't beat that for the price.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #33 of 33

Quote:
Only heard the O2 once, like most SS amps it seemed neutral. I didn't notice any coloration and it was quiet enough. It did offer a decent amount of power for its size and is nice for the price. I'm not a believer that SS amps have sound signature differences, they either give enough juice or they don't. My issue with the O2 is that I hate having the input in the front, that's the main reason I didn't buy one. But that's a personal preference.
Having a cool little hybrid where the sound can be tweaked with tube swaps is pretty sweet, however. Also, there's the visual aesthetic of seeing the glowing tubes. You just can't beat that for the price.

A desktop version is being designed for people like you and I that want 1/4 inch headphone plugs in the front and RCA jacks in the rear. It's supposedly being unveiled in April.

I agree about tube aesthetics though. That's the reason I got a Bottlehead Crack. At the time I thought I needed it, I didn't realize my vintage receiver could properly power my 600 Ohm Beyers (doh!) lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back