So You Think Grados Are Too Bright?
Mar 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Focker

Headphoneus Supremus
I was going to post this in the Grado Fan thread, but then I realized that didn't make much sense...those folks already love their Grados :)  This is geared toward those of you who liked them, save for the fact you felt they were too bright.

Today I put a tube buffer from Grand Fidelity (the 283 MkII model) in between my modest little Audioengine DAC1 and my Meier Corda Jazz amp. This was one of those infrequent times in audio where a gear adjustment was clearly discernible. I had found some videos on youtube where musicians were using this little tube buffer between their amp and guitar, and in the videos they turn it on and off in order to show the difference. With Grados, it's a match made in heaven. If anyone here loves the Grado sound but wishes they weren't quite as bright, this is the solution. I'm sure it would be a great match for other headphones and gear, as well, I'm just speaking from my own experience with some Grado 325s. I have some T1s showing up in the next few days, so I'll able to play around some with those, too.

For less than two bills shipped, it's a really nice way to keep all the detail of your music, but add some tube warmth and a more organic quality to the overall sound. The sound stage also seems to be slightly larger, as well, which I like a lot.  I'll report more findings as I spend time with it. Right now it has about five hours on it.

If anyone else is using a tube buffer, please feel free to share your experience.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 33
Mar 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 33

Quote:
Jus' a little dash of 2nd order harmonic distortion and tube voodoo. Fatten that mess right up!

I know, you just couldn't resist...

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
Heya,

I'd like to see if it sounds truly, discernably, appreciably, different from someone who took the time to do a very good equalization of the bright portions of the Grado headphone in question.

Very best,

I like how he signs off all his posts with "Very best,". It's distinguished. That and the pipe.

I need a cool catch phrase like that. Maybe I'll go with "Second best," since I wouldn't want to copy him. Oh and I don't have a picture of myself smoking a pipe, so you'll just have to picture it.

Second best,

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
Heya,

I'd like to see if it sounds truly, discernably, appreciably, different from someone who took the time to do a very good equalization of the bright portions of the Grado headphone in question.

Very best,

Equalization is something I've seen a lot of people discuss here on head-fi, whereas with home audio - which is where I've spent most of my time in this hobby - you rarely hear of it. I think it would be interesting what you propose, as well. With regard to the buffer, I've been a tube guy since I heard my first tube preamp a few years ago. This is the first time I've been able to just turn the tubes on/off back and forth, though, and it's been eye opening for me.  I can't wait to hear this system with the T1s in a few days...I've heard those headphones love tubes.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 33
To the OP...

I'm not sure what sort of response you were hoping to elicit by your post, but I think most view the buffer as a means of "tone" control or equalization in disguise, and that's a valid opinion.  Bottom line, if the result is a sound you like, and the price seems fair to you, sit back and enjoy!

Regards,
-kwkarth

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
To the OP...

I'm not sure what sort of response you were hoping to elicit by your post, but I think most view the buffer as a means of "tone" control or equalization in disguise, and that's a valid opinion.  Bottom line, if the result is a sound you like, and the price seems fair to you, sit back and enjoy!

Regards,
-kwkarth

Thanks, man. I have enjoyed playing around with tube gear - mainly preamps for my speaker rig - since it reminds me of a really great analog system that I heard about six years ago. I'm still pretty new to headphones, but I know that some of complained of certain Grado models being a bit too bright for their liking. The brightness hasn't really bothered me with my Grado 325s, in fact I think I even preferred it, but when I fired up the tube buffer today one of the first things I noticed was that the brightness was tempered a bit. When I heard them with the buffer in-line, that was the first time I really understood what it was about the brightness that bothered folks, so this seemed like it might be a great way for potential Grado owners to get what they're looking for - Grado sound with a more tame top end. But generally speaking, I'm mostly interested in others' experiences with tube buffers since this is my first experience with one.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 33
Looks like a Little Dot I+ with the amp portion missing. Same 6J1P/EF95 tubes and everything.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
Looks like a Little Dot I+ with the amp portion missing. Same 6J1P/EF95 tubes and everything.

True, it sure does. From what Ian at Grant Fidelity told me, it's a re-badged Yaqin piece (that was tweaked to Grant Fidelity specs), which is one of the larger and most respected Chinese audio companies. I was actually really close to pulling the trigger on a Little Dot I+....David is a great guy to deal with based on the email exchanges I've had with him.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 33
Oh yeah, the Yaqin CD2, now i remember it.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 33
I wonder what the difference is between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back